A plea to Ganley to enter the Dáil! - Page 6 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

06-10-2009, 10:56   #76
jimmmy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Breathnach View Post
That's a Scylla and Charybdis choice: which monster do you want to destroy you?
Michael O'Leary is not a monster ; he is head of one of the most successful companies and employers ever to come out of Ireland, and the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid has ensured your pension is as high as it is. Would you prefer if the flying situation was the same as 30 years ago, when it cost 180 pounds ( a lot of money then ) to fly to the UK with the unionised state monopoly carrier, Aer Lingus ? Ryanair is very successful and we should be proud of that, and it has ensured many people can avail of reasonably priced flights, which has helped to stimulate our tourism industry over the years. What other Irish home grown company is a leader in its sector in Europe ?

Last edited by jimmmy; 06-10-2009 at 10:58.
Advertisement
06-10-2009, 11:06   #77
cornbb

O'Leary has been great for Irish business I agree, but I dunno about putting him in power... he would probably sort out the country's finances in a month and slash waiting lists, but at some sort of inconceivably humiliating cost... He would still be better than Ganley though.
06-10-2009, 11:15   #78
jimmmy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbb View Post
O'Leary has been great for Irish business I agree, but I dunno about putting him in power... he would probably sort out the country's finances in a month and slash waiting lists,
Good enough reason to have him in power so !

If you want to talk about humiliation, nothing could be more humiliating that having the sort of government / p.s running the country the way it has over the past few years. Nothing is more humiliating than seeing people whose lives have been destroyed, people with savings + pensions made worthless, people in huge negative equity, and a system where now enterprise, risk-taking and hard work is a less desirable option for most school leavers than a career in the p.s. Ask any self employed person who is not entitled to the dole.
06-10-2009, 11:16   #79
Amhran Nua

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmy View Post
Michael O'Leary is not a monster ; he is head of one of the most successful companies and employers ever to come out of Ireland, and the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid has ensured your pension is as high as it is.
He's a superb businessman, nobody can deny his acumen in that area, but you can't run a country like a business. There are so many social considerations to keep in mind - for example what value would he place on the arts or social welfare? Give him power over the legislature and what would he do with it? Hes doing fine where he is, leave him there would be my opinion.

Ganley likewise appears to be a good businessman, but nobody seems quite sure what his business is, except that it involves the US military, an organisation very well known for getting involved in politics outside the US. We don't want or need to be second guessing any decisions he might make as to why he's doing what hes doing. In any case he's been tainted by his association with Libertas and their right wing alliances around Europe.
06-10-2009, 11:20   #80
Tim Robbins

Ganley is the ultimate bad guy with a huge amount of charisma and sinister level of intelligence. He reminds me of Vince McMahon.

He came from nowhere, never had any political support and all of a sudden he is on all the primetime media shows debating government ministers.

Ganley is a very good example of how referendums can be subverted by people who skip the usual hurdles of politics i.e. watching your *ss, having to give people bad news, having to make tough decisions having to stand over promises you were never able to keep and just come in right at the top.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-10-2009, 11:25   #81
jimmmy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amhran Nua View Post
He's a superb businessman, nobody can deny his acumen in that area, but you can't run a country like a business.
A business means controlling income + expenditure, and striving to keep everyone happy : all successful countries do that. Its time our country was ran like a business. Look at Singapore.
Quote:
There are so many social considerations to keep in mind - for example what value would he place on the arts or social welfare?
He might abolish the tax emption for artists, + some of the grants. awwwwww. Artists + write may now have to pay tax.
06-10-2009, 11:28   #82
P. Breathnach

Quote:
Michael O'Leary is not a monster ; he is head of one of the most successful companies and employers ever to come out of Ireland, and the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid has ensured your pension is as high as it is...
Leave my personal circumstances out of this; they are not relevant here.
06-10-2009, 11:37   #83
Amhran Nua

Quote:
A business means controlling income + expenditure, and striving to keep everyone happy : all successful countries do that. Its time our country was ran like a business. Look at Singapore.
Singapore has been a one party state since 1959, and the PAP hold onto power ruthlessly, unless you are advocating Ireland move politically towards an autocracy? Social welfare is an example of one area which has no place in business, so no, you can't run a country like a business, since businesses are autocratic entities with no place for a democratic voice or social needs.

Quote:
He might abolish the tax emption for artists, + some of the grants. awwwwww. Artists + write may now have to pay tax.
I was referring more to support for the arts than their tax exemptions.
06-10-2009, 11:38   #84
jimmmy
Banned

Even though I do not receive cheques from the government, I certainly appreciate the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid here over the years. Its a pity not all of those who receive money from the government hold him in high esteem, given his achievements / all he has done for Ireland. We could do with a few more Michael O'Leary's in Ireland, inc one to run the government.
Advertisement
06-10-2009, 11:41   #85
Amhran Nua

He's good at paying tax. I wouldn't vote for him to spend it.
06-10-2009, 11:41   #86
Biggins
Banned

Right! Things that can be said about him...

Ganley - Pro's:
* He's a businessman.
* He can speak well in general terms.
* He's a dab hand at dealing with media.
* He can speak about one particular subject.

Ganley - Cons:
* He has outlined NOTHING in regards to running a state, all its various departments, social aspects, etc, except for one single issue within one area.
* In this country he is on one side of an issue yet in Europe he appears to be on the other side when it suits him!
* He himself appears to be unsure one week to another if he is British or Irish - except when its convenient!

Ganley - The Unknowns:
* Who is ALL is backers?
* Who is lobbying him and more importantly - why? (what is their agenda?)...
* Why is he so mixed up with the American military? (What is their agenda in relation to Ireland?)
* Why is only some of his details known - when the rest is classified by the Americans and again, why?
* He wants Ireland to be an individual stand alone nation but integrated into larger EU - Say huh???

My Conclusion: with all the above - he's far too much of an unknown for me.
I don't know where he honestly stands.
I don't trust him.
He's said bugger all about what way he thinks in relation to other policy areas.
He is spare with the truth.
He's no beginner when it comes to tax dodging!

There is just too many questions...

Last edited by Biggins; 06-10-2009 at 11:55.
06-10-2009, 11:48   #87
jimmmy
Banned

Quote:
you can't run a country like a business
You are right. The country should borrow as much as possible, and pay itself+ its employees the highest wages in the known world. It should allow its many politicans ( the highest ratio in the Europe....one td for each 21,000 electorate ) plenty of expenses etc, and its fas director to go on plenty of junkets around the world. It seems to be working.

Quote:
I was referring more to support for the arts than their tax exemptions.
Its great supporting arts, but the country is borrowing 20 to 25 billion a year and the countries health system + educational system often leaves a lot to be desired. There are people here getting handouts + grants the like of which is unseen in many other countries : likewise our system where millionaire writers, artists and musicians pay no income tax means the burden is heavier on the ordinary person in the wealth creating sector.
06-10-2009, 11:51   #88
Amhran Nua

You can fix every problem in the country without having to go overboard on the other side of the boat.
06-10-2009, 11:53   #89
jimmmy
Banned

Quote:
He's good at paying tax.
he has probably paid hundreds of millions, and created thousands of jobs, and brought millions of tourists to the country, and lowered fares ( remember paying £ 180 and £ 200 in the '80s to go with unionised Aer Lingus to London )

Quote:
I wouldn't vote for him to spend it.
Nope, you would vote for the government + the p.s. sector to spend the money, which is what they do. Great value for money the citizen gets as well ( looking at the defecit, the state of our hospitals + schools etc ).
06-10-2009, 12:06   #90
Scofflaw
Category Moderator

Quote:
Even though I do not receive cheques from the government, I certainly appreciate the hundreds of millions of tax he and his company has paid here over the years. Its a pity not all of those who receive money from the government hold him in high esteem, given his achievements / all he has done for Ireland. We could do with a few more Michael O'Leary's in Ireland, inc one to run the government.
jimmmy, other posters' personal circumstances are not germane. You've been asked to leave out the snide personal remarks - if you can't, we can easily escalate this.

moderately,
Scofflaw

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion