Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

TV Show Recommendations *NO DISCUSSION*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

tonight tg4 at 9:35

Genre, modern day western/ trippy

Dredd (2012)

10:55 tonight on Film 4

Nothing like the 'dread'ful Stallone nonsense. Good night time flick.

"An uncompromising law enforcer in a post-apocalyptic city is assigned to train a psychic new recruit."

Sci-fi thriller based on the 2000AD comic-strip, starring Karl Urban, Lena Headey and Olivia Thirlby

Genre: Science Fiction

Director: Pete Travis

Ripper. Tonight BBC One at 9pm. Pretty damn good. Each ep stands alone.

Genre: Detective/Thriller

Episode 5 of 8

Season 3
    Heavy Boots Jerome Flynn and Adam Rothenberg star

Category: Detective/Thriller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭brian_t

ArtSmart wrote: »
    The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (2005)

There is a Recommended Movies on TV sticky in the film forum.

(I always wondered why it wasn't in the TV forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭NeutralHandle

Title: Gotham
    Cast: Ben McKenzie, Robin Lord Taylor, Sean Pertwee, Jada Pinkett Smith
    Genre: Crime/Drama/Thriller
    Description: Set during the aftermath of Bruce Wayne's parents' murders. Centres on James Gordon and his interactions with established and emerging underworld figures. Also features and highly manipulative young psychopathic Penguin. Great characters. Dips a little during the middle of the first season but finishes very strongly. Darker and more humorous than most comic book adaptions.
    Links: imdb
    Watch this if you like: Batman stuff. Origins stories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Scream the TV Series is quiet good, due out on MTV soon (May already be on tv at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Title: Narcos

Cast: Wagner Moura, Maurice Compte, Boyd Holbrook

Genre: Crime/Drama/Thriller

Description: Netflix takes on the infamous Medellín drug cartel in "Narcos," which follows the rise and fall of Colombian kingpin Pablo Escobar and the Drug Enforcement Agency agents hunting him. The story is told largely from the points of view of Escobar, played by Brazilian actor Wagner Moura, and U.S. DEA Agent Steve Murphy (Boyd Holbrook), on opposite sides of what would become an all-out war. The gritty drama begins with the early days of the drug battle, when the biggest offenders were "hippies in flip-flops" caught with up to a kilo of marijuana, continuing to the violent, bloody battles between members of the cartel peddling tons of kilos of cocaine and drug agents from Colombia, Mexico, and the U.S. -- a struggle estimated to have cost at least 4,000 lives over two decades. Pedro Pascal ("Game of Thrones") co-stars as Mexican DEA Agent Javier Peña.

Just finished watching the first 10 episodes, One of the best programs i have seen in years, Well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

No idea of a UK/Irl air date yet, but starts in the US tomorrow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

<Jeremy Clarkson voice>I went on the internet and found ..... this ^^^^^

I like it.
    It has Tara from Sons of Anarchy in lingerie as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭briany

If you liked the C4 series Black Mirror, there's a Canadian series from 2013 called Darknet that has a similar feel, in that technology is a central theme. In the case of this series, the stories are linked by a mysterious website called Darknet, or the Darknet Files. It's shorter, though, with each episode coming in at 25 minutes and an episode can contain several stories. Quite dense for its runtime, but this is nice if you fancy a scare fix but don't want to make the time commitment to a feature or one-hour format. I'm only one episode in at the time of writing this, but it's looking promising so far. Something to dip into, anyway, and something that would seem to have slipped under the radar a little bit, judging from the number of IMDB votes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've just started watching Lither, series 1 in 3 days and I can definitely recommend it to anyone who's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Would that be 'Luther' by any chance?

Luther (as i think that was what Clareman meant) gets my vote too.
    Halfway series 1 only.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,731 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Title:iZombie
    Cast:Rose McIver. Robert Buckley, David Anders, Malcolm Goodwin, Rahul Kohli.
    Genre:In their own words. ZomComRomDrom
    Description:When over-achieving medical resident Liv Moore attends a party that turns into a zombie feeding frenzy, she ends up joining the ranks of the living dead. Determined to pass as human despite her pale appearance and newly listless demeanor, Liv forms a plan to resist her drive to consume fresh human brains by taking a job at a coroner's office, where she can secretly snack on the brains of corpses delivered there. Soon discovering that she absorbs the memories of those she feeds on, she finds new purpose by posing as a psychic and working with a detective to help solve their murders.
    Watch this if you like: Chuck, Buffy, Veronica Mars,

This show is a lot better than I was expecting, mostly down to McIver's excellent ability to chop and change personality depending on what she ate.
    Well worth a check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Title: Preacher
    Cast: Dominic Cooper, Joseph Gilgun (Rudy from Misfits, plays an Irish vampire here), Ruth Negga (Raina from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.),...
    Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
    Description: A TV adaptation of Garth Ennis' comic books of the same name. About a Preacher who is possessed by a creature that allows him to command people to do whatever he tells them to, and who teams up with a vampire and an ex-girlfriend.
    Links: IMDB
    Watch this if you like: Comic book adaptations

Watched the Pilot yesterday and I like that they diverted from the comics to give the show it's own identity. It definitely looks good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Would that be 'Luther' by any chance?

Yup, Luther, sorry about the typo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Doge

Can anyone recommend me some series based on the following likes please?

Silicon Valley
    Mr Robot
    Better Call Saul
    Breaking Bad
    Its Always Sunny in Philidelphia
    Marco Polo
    Narcos
    Black Mirror
    Fonejacker/Facejacker
    Black Books

Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Doge wrote: »

Silicon Valley
    Mr Robot
    Better Call Saul
    Breaking Bad
    Marco Polo
    Narcos
    Black Mirror
    Fonejacker/Facejacker
    Black Books

Going on the comedies you've mentioned, you'll probably really enjoy
    Party Down
    Trailer Park Boys
    Parks & Recreation
    Brooklyn Nine Nine

Doge wrote: »

Silicon Valley
    Mr Robot
    Better Call Saul
    Breaking Bad
    Marco Polo
    Narcos
    Black Mirror
    Fonejacker/Facejacker
    Black Books

Jessica Jones
    Peaky Blinders
    Utopia
    The above mentioned Luther
    River

• Registered Users Posts: 55,422 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A couple of recent BBC crime dramas that I really enjoyed.

Thirteen is about a girl who was kidnapped as a 13 year old child and escaped 13 years later. Nice short 5 episode series and a great performance from the lead.

New Blood is a show about 2 young guys, one a cop and one working for the serious fraud office. Three different cases told over 7 episodes and very enjoyable. The two guys have a good chemistry, and there are some good villains in it too.

Check out the first of each and see what you think. Trailers:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Title: Barracuda
    Cast: Rachel Griffiths, in a supporting role.
    Genre: Drama, sports
    Description: A young talented Australian swimmer earns a scholarship to a private school to join their swimming programme, with the aim of representing Australia in the Sydney Olympics. Series is based on a novel by Christos Tsiolkas, the author of The Slap
    Links: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barracuda_(TV_series)
    Watch this if you like: The Slap, Friday Night Lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Legionn_of_Dan

Title: The Expanse
    Cast: Thomas Jane, Cas Anvar, Steven Strait, Dominique Tipper.
    Genre: Sci fi, thriller, Conspiracy

Description: Hundreds of years in the future, things are different than what we are used to after humans have colonized the solar system and Mars has become an independent military power. Rising tensions between Earth and Mars have put them on the brink of war. Against this backdrop, a hardened detective and a rogue ship's captain come together to investigate the case of a missing young woman. The investigation leads them on a race across the solar system that could expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

Links: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3230854/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

Watch this if you like: X-files, Battlestar Galactica (at its best), Thrillers, 12 Monkeys, Continuum

Great show that has me absolutely hooked. Based on a novel series of the same name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Title: Halt and Catch Fire
    Cast: Lee Pace, Scoot McNairy, Mackenzie Davis
    Genre: Drama,

Description: Set in the 1980s, this series dramatizes the personal computing boom through the eyes of a visionary, an engineer and a prodigy whose innovations directly confront the corporate behemoths of the time. Their personal and professional partnership will be challenged by greed and ego while charting the changing culture in Texas' Silicon Prairie.

Links: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/?ref_=ttpl_pl_tt

Watch this if you like: Mad Men

Excellent viewing if you're into a bit of 1980's period drama. This is from the same network that did Mad Men and they look to be trying to re-create that formula again. Each series charts a different aspect of technology innovation from pc's to the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,194 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Watched a couple of Norwegian shows on Netflix recently and thought they were quite good - Nobel and Occupied. I'm a sucker for Scandi drama though so they may not be everyone's cup of tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Title: Between The Lines

Cast: Neil Pearson, Tom Georgeson, Siobhan Redmond, Tony Doyle

Genre: Police Anti-Corruption Unit Drama

Description: 1992-1994 BBC Drama ran for three series, very well regarded at the time, voted No.76 in the BFI All Time Best British TV Shows. The expression "Bent Coppers" appears frequently, long before Ted Hastings nicked it!

Watch This If You Like: Line of Duty

Links http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103362/
    http://www.tv.com/shows/between-the-lines/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Watched "glow" on Netflix with my wife. We both really enjoyed it. Great light hearted fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭ Joslyn Puny Theorem

Title: Rake

Cast: Richard Roxburgh, Matt Day, Russell Dykstra

Genre: Courtroom "Dramedy"

Description: Hellraising defence lawyer, case of the week, Australian show

Watch This If You Like: Boston Legal, Suits

Links
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587000/

It's on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Just started watching rake. Occupied is also good

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Tite: Nathan For You

Cast: Nathan Fielder

Genre: Docu-Reality Comedy, Parody

Network: Comedy Central

Description: The series centers on Nathan Fielder, portrayed by his real-life namesake, a business school graduate and consultant whose aim is to help struggling businesses. His marketing proposals are often outlandish and elaborate.

Watch If You Like: It doesn't do the series justice to compare it to other shows...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,825 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Tite: Dark

Cast: No one famous (it's German)

Genre: Supernatural drama / Noir

Network: Netflix

Description: German TV series about children that go missing. Question though, is not nessecarily where these kids have gone and how the histories of different families are intertwined with their disappearance.

Watch If You Like: Stranger things (although it's more serious), Lost

Also: that theme tune!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement