Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Eircom Outage & DNS errors- 2nd September Only place to post

Options
  • 03-09-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭

Youtube, Facebook and Twitter refusing to load for me, the Dell Network Assist is telling me it's a problem at Eircom's end, anyone else having problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Can't access my Eircom email account either. What a company these guys are. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Same problem here, a lot of websites are refusing to load for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Yep, same thing is happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 southofdub

flazio wrote: »
    Youtube, Facebook and Twitter refusing to load for me, the Dell Network Assist is telling me it's a problem at Eircom's end, anyone else having problems?

Yes it's their DNS server's again. I just switched back to open DNS and everything is back to normal.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Eircom.net is also down. FTP, SSH and any kind of IP access is up. Looks like the DNS is not resolving at Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Yeah, Eircoms DNS Servers have died again!

Just change your DNS settings to Open Dns

or if you don't like these you can use level 3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could someone point in the idiots guide as to how to tweak the DNS please?

Calebmcd wrote: »
    Just change your DNS settings to Open Dns

+1 This works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

DNS working fine for me (Eircoms own) but had a couple of calls asking if I could help fix email. Settings were OK so guess it was an Eircom problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

The useless fools proably messed something up when they started blocking things.

• Advertisement

kurisu wrote: »
    The useless fools proably messed something up when they started blocking things.

Yeah they messed up... they kicked the hornets nest. I wouldn't be surprised if they are currently getting attacked again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yeah been like that here since yesterday evening, sites randomly not loading

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Could barely get online a few minutes ago (opened a weird half loaded version of boards for some reason) but changing to open DNS worked a treat! Cheers.

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yeah they messed up... they kicked the hornets nest. I wouldn't be surprised if they are currently getting attacked again.

kinda shows the sad state their in , an isp should be one of the last things vulnerable to an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Yes has been terrible connection for me in the last hour.

Worst. Company. Ever.

God I wish I could have got Smart or UPC broadband.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Just came over here to check it wasnt just me. :) Thought it was probably eircom having a meltdown.

Havent the foggiest what to to to change the DNS yokimagig, so Ill suffer on till they get their act together... whenever that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

I don't support any company the purpose of competition is to bring up standards and lower prices.

In my area UPC is the only provider as the DSL lines are rubbish.

Eircom is meant to be our national provider and look at the state they are in.

Sites are blocked their service is becoming very hit and miss.

Eircom speeds are a joke and their usage cap is pathetic.

Eircom is also very expensive.

It seems like Eircom have abandoned my area due to the condition of their lines.

UPC is a 100% private company and Eircom our so called state company is not even putting up a fight they are given their role as the nations main ISP to UPC on a plate.

Does Eircom reflect the condition of our nation I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Oryx wrote: »
    Just came over here to check it wasnt just me. :) Thought it was probably eircom having a meltdown.

Havent the foggiest what to to to change the DNS yokimagig, so Ill suffer on till they get their act together... whenever that is.

You're just killing yourself off by doing that. Eircom are not going to be a realible broadband provider anytime in the near future.

So if I was you just go to www.opendns.com and they have a explanation of what you need to do to switch.

I just switched and noticed a difference.

Although pages are still not loading as fast as they can do. But at least they're loading within 10-30 seconds. Instead of 1-3 minutes or not at all! heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

not answering support calls either. holding over an hour now waiting to talk to someone about a refund for the constant recent interruptions in service.

flazio wrote: »
    Could someone point in the idiots guide as to how to tweak the DNS please?

from windows go to internet settings and change the dns
    or
    go into modem settings

go to connection settings
    enter dns

• Advertisement

i dont think their still state owned, although they have retained the monopoly from being state owned, other than that i can't argue with a thing you've said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

to change dns settings open the router in a browser using http://192.168.1.254/ for the eircom netopia modem/router and go to

expert mode => configure => connection => scroll down to Primary DNS server

and replace with open dns settings

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671561

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

i'm eircom and i think its suffered yet another DoS attack... because its going REALLY slow at the moment and i can't get through to popular sites like google and facebook.

any1 else have this problem?

So if we are all switching DNS what exactly eircom doing other than taxing us for using 40 year old wires?

_ZeeK_ wrote: »
    i'm eircom and i think its suffered yet another DoS attack... because its going REALLY slow at the moment and i can't get through to popular sites like google and facebook.

There is a thread about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671560

foggy_lad wrote: »
    to change dns settings open the router in a browser using http://192.168.1.254/ for the eircom netopia modem/router and go to

Thought I said that?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

_ZeeK_ wrote: »

I'm experiencing these problems too.

I'm getting out rid of Eircom over this Pirate Bay business, they're telling people what sites we can and can't access? This isn't China!

And they're getting a nice letter stating so.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Wow, that open dns (whatever it is) is effective. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

foggy_lad wrote: »

Cheers for that.

• Advertisement

kurisu wrote: »
    i dont think their still state owned, although they have retained the monopoly from being state owned, other than that i can't argue with a thing you've said

Yes the sell of was a scandal also.

Advertisement