Working 9 days in a row - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-09-2009, 21:46   #1
Jafin

Send a message via Skype™ to Jafin
Working 9 days in a row

Hey guys,
just starte a new job 2 weekends ago. Im working this saturday and sunday, and 2 days ago rang my boss and he said Im working next monday to sunday. I dont know if he realises, but that's 9 days in a row.
The hours are 9.30 to 6PM with a one hour break for lunch. It's a chain toy shop if that makes any difference.
I was talking to some of the girls that work there and they told me to tell him I wont work more than 5 days in a row, because if I do 9 days in a row once he may expect me to do it again if I dont pipe up now and say anything.

My question is: is this even legal?

Any help appreciated.
Advertisement
02-09-2009, 22:55   #2
donkey balls

explain it to him first he probely forgot about the hours your doing if he still insists on you working 9 days in a row ask him has he ever here of the working time directive 48 hr week
02-09-2009, 22:59   #3
Gavin "shels"

Send a message via MSN to Gavin "shels"
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...ods-and-breaks

Quote:
You are entitled to 11 consecutive hours rest in any period of 24 hours. In addition you should get 24 consecutive hours rest in any period of 7 days and this should normally follow on from one of the 11-hour rest periods already mentioned, or
Therefore illegal.
02-09-2009, 23:13   #4
Jafin

Thanks very much, both of you.
I'll talk to him about it Saturday.
03-09-2009, 09:14   #5
mdebets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin "shels" View Post
You quoted selectively. The real quote is:

Quote:
The definition of a rest period is any time that is not working time. The rest periods set out in the Act are as follows:

(a) You are entitled to 11 consecutive hours rest in any period of 24 hours. In addition you should get 24 consecutive hours rest in any period of 7 days and this should normally follow on from one of the 11-hour rest periods already mentioned, or

(b) As an alternative your employer can give you two 24-hour rest periods in the week that follows one in which you did not get the entitlement described in (a) above.
Therfore OP, the 9 days are legal, as long as you get 2 consecutive days +11 hours off afterwards.
Advertisement
03-09-2009, 11:06   #6
mood

You need to talk to him. Bring a print out of the laws etc to refer to. Is there any HR (although in my experience there were never any help!).
03-09-2009, 16:24   #7
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey balls View Post
ask him has he ever here of the working time directive 48 hr week
One can work 9 (8 hr) days in a row without breaking the 48 hour week. As has been said, once the time off is given at the end of the cycle, it's perfectly legal.
07-09-2009, 19:14   #8
shinystar

just tell him... it is probably just an oversight on his part... if you start bringing in printouts explaining the law when you have only been working there a couple off weeks may give the impression that you could be sticky ... sometimes a reminder is all that is needed.. if that doesnt work then mayb then bring out the printouts...
07-09-2009, 20:27   #9
Jafin

Oh i forgot to come back to the thread, its all sorted now. He had just made a mistake, Im only working til Friday, not working the weekend aswell.
Ta everyone for your help.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion