Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Game on Cruises Street, Limerick

• 23-08-2009 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

I need a rant about this store, and I hope I found the right place to give it.

Ok, so I was there the other day, and I wished to purchase two games: one rated 18's the other 15's. I am 18. I went up to the counter in order to purchase them, only to be declined. He informed me I needed ID (which I hadn't brought). I had the 18 game on top, so I accepted it, as I would say that I do look young enough.

After I had left the queue, I remembered I had a 15's game, so I brought that one up to the counter. He declined me. I was totally gobsmacked. I actually couldn't believe it. I looked at him, and asked him "Am I 14, am I? I would need to be 14 not to be able to get this game, which I am obviously not." He then said that I would need "my parents". I hardly live at home anymore. I then empitied my wallet to see what I had: my bank card, an adult bus ticket, and a 3V card (need to be 16 to get). He didn't even bother looking.

With all that effort, I think it was quite obvious that I was not 14 years of age. He kept saying it was "store policy" to get ID. If he needed ID from me, why wouldn't he need ID from my parents? That store has lost me as a customer. I retold that story to someone else, and he told me "obviously, they don't need your money".

In short the manager of the store (who was serving me) is the most pedantic person I have ever met in my life, and they have lost me as a customer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Do you go to the off licence without ID ?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

No, but this was going to be more of an impulse buy.

But you aren't getting me. I don't mind about being declined for the 18's game, I just can't understand how someone could act that stupidly for the 15's game. I am obviously not 14, especially since I was taller then the guy who declined me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can a 15 year old even get an ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭jhegarty

jor el wrote: »
    Can a 15 year old even get an ID?

Passport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Shock :eek:, worker actually does their job correctly by requesting proof of age for games which have age limits, but customer still feels aggrieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Was it one of these ratings?

pegi_ratings_v.jpg

Or one of these?

BBFC_ratings1.JPG

The top one arent legally enforced but the bottom ones are, (this may have changed i havent worked in retail in the past few years) the PEGI ratings are "advisory" ratings not enforced ones afaik , but being refused a 15s game is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭JohnC.

PEGI doesn't have a 15 rating, so it must be the legally enforceable IFCO rating.
    15_40_web.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

PunkFreud wrote: »
    If he needed ID from me, why wouldn't he need ID from my parents?

Because in the case of your parents there would be no doubt in his mind that they were over sixteen.....

In your case he obviously erred on the side of caution. That's his perogative. Remember it is he and not the juvenile customer that takes the rap if he is found to be selling products outside of their age restriction.

Newsagents selling cigarettes and publicans have to deal with this all the time and the penalties are severe. For all he knew, you could have been a plant by the Gardai or a consumer interest group.

There is no real consumer issue here. You already conceded that you look young for your age. You had no ID to prove your age. The shopkeeper played it safe and did the right thing.

By the way, they take this approach in bars in America all the time. No ID, no drink....and it doesn't matter how much silver there is in your hair. I'm not joking....I am regularly IDed in the US. I won't reveal my age but let's just say that I too have been asked for ID in Cruise's..That's the hotel not the street!

I don't think anyone is getting my point, I would have to have been 14. I am not 14. I was with a friend with a beard. I am taller than my friend.

Also, when I said I was young for my age, I didn't mean I look 15. I meant that it was touch and go if I was 17 or 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Your friend having a beard should have convinced him for sure.

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone is getting my point, I would have to have been 14. I am not 14. I was with a friend with a beard. I am taller than my friend.

Also, when I said I was young for my age, I didn't mean I look 15. I meant that it was touch and go if I was 17 or 18.

It's your own opinion what age you think you look (or don't look).
    Other may form a different opinion.

Do you really think that because you were with somebody with a beard that the shop manager should have formed a different opinion? Seriously? Or because you are taller than somebody that proves you are a certain age? Come on!

The point that, perhaps, you are missing is that determining a teenagers age is not an exact science and you should try to understand if some persons in a responsible position take a conservative approach.

Flyer28 wrote: »
    It's your own opinion what age you think you look (or don't look).
    Other may form a different opinion.

Do you really think that because you were with somebody with a beard that the shop manager should have formed a different opinion? Seriously? Or because you are taller than somebody that proves you are a certain age? Come on!

The point that, perhaps, you are missing is that determining a teenagers age is not an exact science and you should try to understand if some persons in a responsible position take a conservative approach.
    Do you know any 18 year old who could possibly look like a 14 year old?

I know (only too well!) some 14 year olds that could pass for 18 easily!

Flyer28 wrote: »
    Didn't answer my question

(I don't want to be insulting or start some flame war, I am just a bit angry and annoyed at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I now know one 18 year old who sounds like a 14 year old.

OK I hear you are not happy, but you couldn't prove your age.

When you get a job, you'll realise how giving bad news to people is just part of your job.

I just have to point out (again), that I showed him my adult bus ticket, and my 3V card. You must be at least 16 to get these. My name was on both. I showed him my bank card which proved that I was in fact that person (or a criminal).

If I truly was 14, why would I go to so much trouble to prove that I was AT LEAST 16, and have so much evidence (bar the "photo ID"). The only photo ID availabe to a 15 year old (which I would have had to be to get the game) is a passport. What person carries their passport with them every day whenever they go out?

They asked you to prove you were old enough to buy the game, which you could not do. The fact that you look over 15 is irrelevant, as it doesn't prove anything. Go back with ID, and you'll get the games. There is no issue here, just a shop attendant sticking rigidly to the law (rightly so).

Bus tickets and 3V cards are not ID, and not acceptable to prove you're over 18 (or 16), as they could belong to anyone.

As I said, all cards had my name on them, otherwise I would have been a criminal.

So, if we all followed the law to the letter, and were as pedantic as this man:

You would need ID to buy a 3+ game (you could look old for your age).
    An 80 year old man would need to bring ID every time he wants a pint in the pub
    If you were short 1c in your local shop when buying something, you couldn't get. No matter how long you are a customer their.
    No-one would be allowed to lend their friends books, DVDs, etc. as it is in breach of copyright

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I just have to point out (again), that I showed him my adult bus ticket, and my 3V card. You must be at least 16 to get these. My name was on both. I showed him my bank card which proved that I was in fact that person (or a criminal).
    With no photo, it could be your friends card (the one with the beard).
    So, if we all followed the law to the letter, and were as pedantic as this man
    As you still have not gotten the difference between been pedantic, and doing your job, I don't think you have worked in a public-facing service job yet? Many (staff) have gotten in trouble for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Look. Seriously. You cant really complain that someone did their job right. If they sold an 18's game to a 10 year old then you would be complaining about that I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Ok, whatever, I don't like arguments (even though I've been in this for a while). This is my last post in this thread. I don't care who was right, but I am not accepting defeat either. I'm just going to answer some things first:
    With no photo, it could be your friends card (the one with the beard).
    Nope, impossible. I took my wallet from my back pocket and emptied it on the counter. My friend was in front of me in the queue and took out his own wallet to buy what he wanted.
    I don't think you have worked in a public-facing service job yet? Many (staff) have gotten in trouble for less.
    No, I haven't, but he was the store manager. He could only get in trouble with himself.
    If they sold an 18's game to a 10 year old then you would be complaining about that I'm sure.
    Obviously I would, since they wouldn't sell me a 15's game, and I am 18. By the way, I am not condoning the selling of 18's games to 10 year olds.

I think everyone forgot that I am absolutely fine with not being sold the 18's game, despite being entitled to it.

I also would like to mention, no online stores ask for age verification when buying anything, despite 16 year olds able to buy things without parental consent. This is just a random thought that just came to me, don't think I want a 16 year old buying an 18's rated film.

Finally, I did get the game, but that was not the point of this thread. I walked 2 minutes over to Gamestop on William St and got it there. After buying it, I told the clerk what happened in Game (I was annoyed, as you can tell). He couldn't believe it. He said he would never have thought of asking me for ID for buying the game, because I was obviously not 14.

Nope, impossible. I took my wallet from my back pocket and emptied it on the counter.

Not impossible, but irrelevant, as a bank card is not an ID.
    No, I haven't, but he was the store manager. He could only get in trouble with himself.

Or the law, since stores can be prosecuted for this.
    I also would like to mention, no online stores ask for age verification when buying anything

A credit card verifies the buyer's age, and an online shop should be able to tell if it's a 3V card, and deny the sale if the game is over 18s, or ask for further proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Originally Posted by PunkFreud
    Didn't answer my question
    I believe this is a valid answer to that question. However, I looked like I was about 15 up until I was 18 or so. I looked 17-18 up untl I was in my mid 20s and got carded in the US until I was around 30
    As I said, all cards had my name on them, otherwise I would have been a criminal.

No, all those cards showed A name on them
    Nope, impossible. I took my wallet from my back pocket and emptied it on the counter. My friend was in front of me in the queue and took out his own wallet to buy what he wanted.
    And you believe this should be proof of ownership? The fact that you pulled a wallet without any form of ID from your pocket?
    Finally, I did get the game, but that was not the point of this thread. I walked 2 minutes over to Gamestop on William St and got it there. After buying it, I told the clerk what happened in Game (I was annoyed, as you can tell). He couldn't believe it. He said he would never have thought of asking me for ID for buying the game, because I was obviously not 14.
    It's this kind of attitude that is getting the games industry into hot water. Why have a ratings system if it is not going to be adhered to? Why not ban all games that are not suitable to all altogether if the shops are not going to stick to regulations. It's this kind of attitude that may eventually restrict games for us all. Look at Australian and German draconian game ratings......

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

- Shop clerk did his job correctly
    - Customer pissed off because shop clerk wouldn't break the law

There is no issue here, its certainly not a consumer issue....just a customer who dislikes the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Game in blanchardstown are the same, they all refuse to sell games to people too young for the rating.

That said I bought two games from Game when I was 14.
    One was metal gear solid 4 ( A game with a 16 rating ) they asked me how old are you and I said 15 thinking it was a 15 cert and they refused to sell it to me so I just walked 20 metres to Currys nearby and got it for €15 less :D

Another time was when I was 14 and bought GTA 4 in the same GAME and this time they asked me are you over 18 and of course I said yes and no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was served alcohol when i was 14;shows how hard it is to determine age!

if you reckon you could pass for 17 the likelihood that you could pass for 14 is higher.just bring ID next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

jor el wrote: »

Or the law, since stores can be prosecuted for this.

Unfortunately it's not the store who is responsible in this case, it is the sales assistant. They get fined, fired and a criminal record if they get stung selling underage people age restricted games. I'd rather be too strict than face those consequences.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah I remember buying Red Alert years ago in Virgin Megastores and being refused because I wasn't old enough, ah back in the days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GAWD

sometimes those guys can be assholes, they constantly refuse my 20 yr old boyfriend 18's games so i have to go up and buy it for him and im younger than my boyfriend.
    i know they're 'doing their job' but some of them abuse authority just to be a dickhead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

GAWD wrote: »
    sometimes those guys can be assholes, they constantly refuse my 20 yr old boyfriend 18's games so i have to go up and buy it for him and im younger than my boyfriend.
    i know they're 'doing their job' but some of them abuse authority just to be a dickhead

LOL @ the old first post defender of a poster with no argument, get a life.

Advertisement