Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Focus - Zetec or Titanium?

• 05-08-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I'm going to buy a one or two year old Focus in the UK but I'm finding it hard to distinguish between the Zetec and Titanium versions.

I read somewhere that the Titanium is the replacement for the Ghia in the UK. Is this true? AFAIK you can still get both Ghia and Titanium here.

Is the Titanium just a better specced Zetec or is it more like the Ghia (i.e. not sporty)

What extras do you get with the Titanium that you dont get with the Zetec?

Also, with regard to engines, would the 1.6TDCI be very underpowered?

There are fleets of 1.8TDCIs available but there is little or no power difference between them and the 1.6.

So, would the 2.0TDCI be the best option or is the 1.6TDCI adequate?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I can't say about the spec/trim level but I've got a 1.6TDCI Focus estate (an '05 one) and its the 110hp version engine. As afaik they reduced the power in the 1.6TDCI to 90hp or something so the 1.8TDCI would be more desireable being 115hp....please feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.

I think you can get the 1.6TDCI engines remapped up to 130hp if you did want more power from it, which would offset some of the extra cost of taxing and the VRT I imagine?

Mines got plenty of power for the size of the estate car, lots of torque and doesn't struggle when its loaded with people and bags. I've even gotten 880km's from a tank before the fuel lights come on with approx another 5 litres still left in the tank.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK all the Focus diesels are gems. Bear in mind the Focus is a bit lighter than what a heavy TDCI plant usually has to shift around the place! :D

Unless you harbour some secret urge for the RS the 1.6TDCI could be a real blessing anyway - shouldn't be too short on power in either incarnation (except maybe the 90bhp in an estate, but they have fair torque anyway) and the efficiency is sick - they can hit 65mpg without tuning/remap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I have a UK Titanium 2.0 TDCi. It is better specified than the Zetec, with more equipment, chrome and trim embelishments. The Zetec also has a firmer suspension which didn't appeal to me.

Re the diesels the 1.6 is good, the 1.8 a bit old, rough and with an abrupt power delivery, the 2.0TDCi is much better than the 1.8, and you get a 6 speed gearbox. I would go 1.6 or 2.0 depending on how much economy/pep you want. I am getting about 42mpg, the car is very quick with loads of torque.

Motorpoint.co.uk have a good selection, but prices are up on last year. I paid £12,000 for a 6 month old car, the same car now cost £13,699.

Great car, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 EngTech

Yea, I'm leaning towards the 2.0TDCi Titanium aswell - 42mpg should be sufficient!

Did you get the car checked before you travelled over?

You won't be disappointed, I think it's the best Focus there is. I did a HPI check, but Motorpoint are legit and having bought from them once before knew the car would be 100% which it was. Totally like new with 5K on the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,103 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The main trim levels available on the Focus in the UK are Style, Sport, Zetec, Zetec Climate, Ghia and Titanium. The Ghia and Titanium are pretty similarly specced appart from some different detailing such as aluminium interior inserts instead of wood, etc. I think most if not all Titanium TDCi models in the UK are 2.0 litre afaik. The Ghia was available in 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 litre.

I had a 1.6 TDCi Ghia and found it nippy enough in the Focus for Irish roads, either that or the 2.0 litre would be a good choice but just be aware that due to the Irish fear of "large" engines a pre 2008 2.0 litre taxed on engine capacity rather than Co2, in a car the size of a Focus and diesel could prove difficult to sell on in this country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have a UK Titanium 2.0 TDCi. It is better specified than the Zetec, with more equipment, chrome and trim embelishments. The Zetec also has a firmer suspension which didn't appeal to me.

Re the diesels the 1.6 is good, the 1.8 a bit old, rough and with an abrupt power delivery, the 2.0TDCi is much better than the 1.8, and you get a 6 speed gearbox. I would go 1.6 or 2.0 depending on how much economy/pep you want. I am getting about 42mpg, the car is very quick with loads of torque.

Motorpoint.co.uk have a good selection, but prices are up on last year. I paid £12,000 for a 6 month old car, the same car now cost £13,699.

Great car, go for it.

Zetec and Titanium both have the same uprated suspension.

Titanium is effectively a higher specced Zetec.

In Ireland however the desirable connection pack wasn't available on the Titanium model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I have a UK focus with the 1.6 TCI 110bhp. It is an excellent engine, its a 16valve vs the 8v in the 1.8 (115bhp)

You won't be disappointed, I think it's the best Focus there is. I did a HPI check, but Motorpoint are legit and having bought from them once before knew the car would be 100% which it was. Totally like new with 5K on the clock.
    Their cars seems a little more expensive than other dealers. If I get a full RAC check on the car I want, I suppose Ill be safe enough.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    The main trim levels available on the Focus in the UK are Style, Sport, Zetec, Zetec Climate, Ghia and Titanium. The Ghia and Titanium are pretty similarly specced appart from some different detailing such as aluminium interior inserts instead of wood, etc. I think most if not all Titanium TDCi models in the UK are 2.0 litre afaik. The Ghia was available in 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 litre.

I had a 1.6 TDCi Ghia and found it nippy enough in the Focus for Irish roads, either that or the 2.0 litre would be a good choice but just be aware that due to the Irish fear of "large" engines a pre 2008 2.0 litre taxed on engine capacity rather than Co2, in a car the size of a Focus and diesel could prove difficult to sell on in this country.
    I'll be going for a post 2008 car to take advantage of the tax and VRT changes I think.
    mullingar wrote: »
    I have a UK focus with the 1.6 TCI 110bhp. It is an excellent engine, its a 16valve vs the 8v in the 1.8 (115bhp)
    The 1.8 is a definate non-runner by the sound of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

If you're going for a 2008 go for the 2 litre.

Titanium on top of the Zetec had half leather, polished alloys (of the same design), Sony head unit, extra interior lights and different dash inserts. Think it had auto lights, dimming rear view mirror and wipers too but not too sure. Think english spec was broadly similar. It was prices at the Ghia level but didn't have cruise

• Advertisement

EPM wrote: »
    If you're going for a 2008 go for the 2 litre.

Titanium on top of the Zetec had half leather, polished alloys (of the same design), Sony head unit, extra interior lights and different dash inserts. Think it had auto lights, dimming rear view mirror and wipers too but not too sure. Think english spec was broadly similar. It was prices at the Ghia level but didn't have cruise

Correct except my Titanium does not half half leather, rather Tic Toc fabric, also has privacy glass.

EngTech wrote: »
    I'll be going for a post 2008 car to take advantage of the tax and VRT changes I think.

In that case the 2.0 litre is the preferred option. It is the same unit found in the Volvo S40, Peugeot 308/407 and Citroen C5. It amazes me how we don't get this version here in Ireland given the new emmissions based tax system. We only get the detuned 110bhp version with an auto box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bazz26 wrote: »
    We only get the detuned 110bhp version with an auto box.

If you could find that mated to the 136 brake version in the UK it would be a nice car. That box works in a similar way to a DSG box and is apparently just as good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I bought a 1.6 TDCI Zetec Climate from England in February. Lovely car. Very happy with it.
    I would have got the Titanium but it was outside my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭yknaa

I have an 08 1.8 TCDi diesel Ghia. At the time it cost €100 extra than the Zetec. Extra whistles and bells included air-con and cruise control. Very happy with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

yknaa wrote: »
    I have an 08 1.8 TCDi diesel Ghia. At the time it cost €100 extra than the Zetec. Extra whistles and bells included air-con and cruise control. Very happy with it.

Modern Zetecs all have aircon as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭mac09

so why is everyone so against the 1.8?

im aware its 8valve versus the 16 in the 1.6, what specific differences does this make to the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The situation with the diesels in the focus is indeed odd. Over in the UK, they have the choice between the 1.6 with 110bhp(119g/km CO2), and the 1.8 with 115bhp(137g/km CO2). Despite the 1.6 having less power, it is most certainly the better engine, much smoother power delivery and better fuel economy. They can also choose a 2.0 TDCi with 135bhp(144g/km CO2), also available with the powershift auto option

Over here however, we have considerably less choice. Over here you can get the same 1.8 TDCi as the UK(156€ road tax), or(For no reason i can think of), the 2.0 TDCi powershift auto(No manual option available apparently), DE-TUNED to 110bhp(154g/km CO2) This is very odd because over in the UK, the 136bhp powershift produces exactly the same amount of CO2. This is a pure example of Paddy being screwed for no reason at all!

OP, definitely get either the 110bhp 1.6 or the 136bhp 2.0. The 1.8 is'nt a bad engine but it is outdated compared to the 1.6. Whats more due to the CO2, if you bring in a 08 car, you'll only pay 104€ road tax on a 1.6(302€ on a 2.0), compared to 156€ on a 1.8. Whats more you'll pay less VRT because the VRT bands are also based on CO2 emissions.

As for the question of UK prices pricing, its purely because of the exchange rates. see here for the current new prices of a focus in the UK.

Stevie, your car is now £21,790 list price over in the Uk. Used Prices are bound to rise because of that

Could anyone tell me definativley if the Sat Nav that comes with the Comms Pack in the UK includes Irish maps?

And, if not, is it possible to upgrade the maps?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Zonda999 wrote: »
    OP, definitely get either the 110bhp 1.6 or the 136bhp 2.0.
    Is the 110bhp 1.6 available over here or do we only get the 90bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

stevenmu wrote: »
    Is the 110bhp 1.6 available over here or do we only get the 90bhp?

It might have been a couple of years ago but it isnt now. 90bhp in "Style" trim is the only 1.6TDCi available over here at the moment.

There's some nice deals on the Motorpoint site but is it true that they don't haggle?

EngTech wrote: »
    There's some nice deals on the Motorpoint site but is it true that they don't haggle?

Motorpoint and Cargiant are car supermarkets, the price displayed is the price paid though their prices tend to be lower than dealerships as their overheads are lower.

Haggling a discount at these places would be like going into Tescos and expecting to haggle on the price of a litre of milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bumble1

i owned a titanium and was i a nice car but the zetec is sportier

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I recently bought a '05 Focus Ghia 1.6 TDCI 110 and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. I had been looking at a Zetec, but actually found on average the Ghias were cheaper. And with the extras normally found on the Ghia, it was an easier choice. But some may prefer the sportier feel of the Zetec.

Check here for spec and figures for all the range... Parkers' Focus spec

Advertisement