Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-08-2009, 13:04   #1
johndaman66

Best socket sets - Limerick

Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend where I could get a good quality socket set preferably in Limerick city but anywhere else in the country for that matter? I wouldn't be using it a lot so don't need a top notch set but having said that don't want something that will break first time I use it. Main thing is value for money followed by reasonable quality. Also if somebody could let me know the brands to look out for and the brands best avoided please? The Halfords sets seem a bit pricey specially as quite a few people mentioned to me that they reckon the quality of their tools can be a bit suspect.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.
Advertisement
02-08-2009, 13:20   #2
guil

i bought a 1'2 inch sealey set in 2004 for around 130, its bein used a lot and nothin has broke
02-08-2009, 13:24   #3
johndaman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by guil View Post
i bought a 1'2 inch sealey set in 2004 for around 130, its bein used a lot and nothin has broke
Thanks guil. Will keep the name sealey in mind.
02-08-2009, 13:29   #4
Lex Luthor

I got a set in Lidl about 2yrs ago...still going strong
02-08-2009, 13:35   #5
ARGINITE

I have the Halford pro set and it was worth the money.
Advertisement
02-08-2009, 13:40   #6
slimjimmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndaman66 View Post
Hi folks,

Can anyone recommend where I could get a good quality socket set preferably in Limerick city but anywhere else in the country for that matter? I wouldn't be using it a lot so don't need a top notch set but having said that don't want something that will break first time I use it. Main thing is value for money followed by reasonable quality. Also if somebody could let me know the brands to look out for and the brands best avoided please? The Halfords sets seem a bit pricey specially as quite a few people mentioned to me that they reckon the quality of their tools can be a bit suspect.

Many thanks in advance for all replies.
Have a 20yr old Halfords set, still going strong. They give a lifetime warranty too. General advice is you're not supposed to use any chromed sockets with power tools, there's some risk the chrome coating will shatter. Splinters in your eye are not good.
02-08-2009, 13:45   #7
kasper

king dick i jest not or tengtool but are expensive ,but excellent value at the end of the day
02-08-2009, 14:43   #8
Neilw

For value for money the halfords professional kits are excellent, I paid 99 sterling for a 150 piece kit and it's very good. Lifetime warranty too.

Teng are very good but more expensive, hazet also good, have a hazet kit the last 15 years and it's still perfect.
02-08-2009, 15:27   #9
Henry Ford III

Last time I bought a set in Argos. Decent value.
Advertisement
02-08-2009, 16:07   #10
jozi

Halford had a set of those spaners with the twisty thing at on end and an open end the other. Think they were about 50-60 Euro, seemed like good value. They are handy to use, you dont have to keep taking the spanner of the nut and it grips all sides.
02-08-2009, 16:17   #11
Anan1

I have a Kamasa set for the past 20 years, I don't use them that much but they're still going strong. I have another set I got from the states, can't remember the name but they're the ones that connect with the side of the bolt rather than the corner - they're good for bolts that are on too tight/damaged.
02-08-2009, 16:18   #12
Lashed

The big Halfords set is good value for money but you should wait till they have it on sale. It's regularly on sale at half price.

You should make sure whatever set you go for includes a 1/4'' and 1/2'' set as you'll never need any more.

If you use e-bay you should be able to pick up a very good set for around half the price charged in shops here.
Sealey are ok but do break if pushed.

I recommend Britool if buying from e-bay. Better quality than Halfords and the same price.
02-08-2009, 16:57   #13
johndaman66

Folks, many thanks for all yer responses all of which are very much appreciated and much much more than I expected. The general consensus is that the Halfords sets are decent enough for the money so thats more than good enough for me. I think I'll wait till the next Halfords sale and buy. In the meantime I will have a quick scout around the hardware stores, motor factors and ebay and if I see one of the other brands mentuoned at a good price I will pick it up. Main reason I'm looking for a set is that I'm appalled at the extortionate rates garages and mechanics charge for labour so going to try and do as much of my own car maintenance as possible. I am limited with what I can o with the set of spanners I have at the moment. As such I would anticipate that it would have paid for itself after the first few jobs.
02-08-2009, 17:02   #14
johndaman66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashed View Post
The big Halfords set is good value for money but you should wait till they have it on sale. It's regularly on sale at half price.
Lashed, a tall ask but would you know when the next Halfords half price sale is expected roughly? Do they have them periodically or any such pattern? Also do the sales run for a few days or would they only be for a morning like Next clothing for example? Apologies for bombarding you with all the questions Lashed.
02-08-2009, 18:10   #15
Lashed

Sorry but I'm not sure.
I was in there a few weeks ago and I'm fairly sure the 120 piece set was around E100 which is good value.
The sale might still be on.
If not, have a look and see what they have and you could always ask a member of staff when the next sale is coming up because they have them fairly often as far as I can see although the staff there are pretty useless so they probably won't know.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165572
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion