British Passport Application - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-07-2009, 23:43   #1
kelzer

British Passport Application

Hi

I want to apply for a British passport and I'm wondering do I apply to the passport office in Belfast or British embassy in Dublin as I'm from NI. I'm living in Dublin by the way.

I think I apply to Belfast but not sure since the app form says I should be resident in the country (NI) at time if application.

Any info appreciated!
Advertisement
08-07-2009, 00:05   #2
Ponster

Mod: Travel
Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
It really depends on if you are a resident of the Republic or just visiting.

If resident then you apply to Dublin.
08-07-2009, 00:10   #3
patchybaby

because you have a dub address you can do it in dub. Im scottish and i had to renew mines last year....i downloaded the apps and sent them away to dub together with the fee and 6e for postage. My sis in law tried to renew hers in belfast but because her address was in donegal they told her to go to Dub.

they're very god in dub and you can also go pick it up wen it's ready.....hope that's some help to you
08-07-2009, 00:22   #4
kelzer

I'm resident in Dublin. I thought I heard that people born in NI applied to Belfast and people born in GB applied to Dublin? Or is it just if your resident in the Republic then it's the Dublin office?
08-07-2009, 00:29   #5
Dodge

http://britishembassyinireland.fco.g...your-passport/

If you're resident in the ROI, then you apply in Dublin.
Advertisement
08-07-2009, 10:14   #6
Fratton Fred

Get down to the British Embassy in Ballsbridge, they are very very helpful and the service is very quick. you will need a "professional Person" who has known you for a number of years to sign and validate you.

one warning though, getting into the embassy is a bit like boarding an aircraft, so don't take your handgun or flicknife
08-07-2009, 10:21   #7
Ponster

Mod: Travel
Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
As a general I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are in the world, when applying for a passport, you do so in the country that you are resident in.

Can anyone confirm ?
08-07-2009, 11:24   #8
Richard

The fees seem quite high compared to the sterling fees:

http://britishembassyinireland.fco.g..._passport_fees
08-07-2009, 11:29   #9
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratton Fred View Post

one warning though, getting into the embassy is a bit like boarding an aircraft, so don't take your handgun or flicknife

Given that when you walk in the door you're technically leaving ROI and entering the United Kingdom I suppose it's to be expected!
Advertisement
08-07-2009, 11:38   #10
Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponster View Post
As a general I'm pretty sure that no matter where you are in the world, when applying for a passport, you do so in the country that you are resident in.

Can anyone confirm ?

For what its worth, yes that is the case. However your "home" country may not have an embassy/consulate in your country of residence
08-07-2009, 20:21   #11
Our man in Havana
Closed Account

In that case a certain UK embassy is designated to deal with people from those countries that do not have a UK embassy.
08-07-2009, 21:03   #12
Dodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond-007 View Post
In that case a certain UK embassy is designated to deal with people from those countries that do not have a UK embassy.
Well I was making the general point about various countries. I don't think there is anywhere without some British representation

In many cases, countries will accept applications in their HQ from citizens living in countries without representation
29-05-2013, 18:58   #13
Selbeep

Renew British Passport - Live in Dublin

Hi there,

I was looking up today how I go about renewing my passport. On the British Embassy website, it states that I post it in to them and it costs €182. However, if I was able to renew my passport in Belfast, it would cost £72.50 or £81.25 if I could use the Post Office’s Passport Check & Send service. This seems to be a massive difference in the price and I wonder is there any way that I can renew my passport through the UK instead. I see somewhere that you can renew it in the UK if you are going to be there for at least 3 weeks but when we visit, we wouldn't normally be there for that long. I wonder would it be possible to get an appointment to visit the Belfast office.

Selbeep.
29-05-2013, 21:40   #14
Fred Swanson

They will tell you to apply in Dublin and pay the overseas citizen rates.

You need a UK address to apply via the UK and you may be called for an interview by the home office hence why you must be there for 3 weeks.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion