Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-09-2011, 13:52   #631
DavieB

Well Taximus I don't believe that we can sole all the problems of the industry here, but here are some points worth considering.

1. No organisation with responsibility for Authorised Stands.

2. No organisation with responsibility for the proliferation of 'private' stands, e.g. Airport and Shopping Centres. Leading to exploitation of drivers.

3. No Authorised Stands supplied in some areas.

4. No mandatory training for the test.

5. No upskilling supplied for existing drivers (This does not necessarilyrequire a test, just a short assessment).

6. Industry not being integrated into the general Hospitality Industry.

7. No control over the Rental Industry.

8. Drivers flaunting rules - Includes all nationalities.

9. Drivers ignorant of their rights and the rights of passengers.

10. Drivers attitudes - Customers are our lifeblood and not a nuisance.

11. Drivers Cherry picking - Saying they don't know where places are (SHORT JOURNEYS)

12. Industry image very poor and is down to the people involved i.e. US

13. An awful lot of drivers of all nationalities need better people skills.

14. Looks like at present we as an idnustry are cash cows for the Regulator i.e. Not enough ranks and strict enforcement and fining for breaches - Look at the stats.

Hope this helps.

David B
Advertisement
13-09-2011, 17:23   #632
DavieB

Well Taximus I don't believe that we can solve all the problems of the industry here, but here are some points worth considering.

1. No organisation with responsibility for Authorised Stands.

2. No organisation with responsibility for the proliferation of 'private' stands, e.g. Airport and Shopping Centres. Leading to exploitation of drivers.

3. No Authorised Stands supplied in some areas.

4. No mandatory training for the test.

5. No upskilling supplied for existing drivers (This does not necessarilyrequire a test, just a short assessment).

6. Industry not being integrated into the general Hospitality Industry.

7. No control over the Rental Industry.

8. Drivers flaunting rules - Includes all nationalities.

9. Drivers ignorant of their rights and the rights of passengers.

10. Drivers attitudes - Customers are our lifeblood and not a nuisance.

11. Drivers Cherry picking - Saying they don't know where places are (SHORT JOURNEYS)

12. Industry image very poor and is down to the people involved i.e. US

13. An awful lot of drivers of all nationalities need better people skills.

14. Looks like at present we as an idnustry are cash cows for the Regulator i.e. Not enough ranks and strict enforcement and fining for breaches - Look at the stats.

Hope this helps.

David B
13-09-2011, 20:05   #633
taximus

An interesting and well thought out answer, but leaving all that aside for a minute... what theoretically can be done to actually fix the industry? I am talking about the amount of taxis on the road. Obviously an immediate cease of sale of all taxi plates and isssuing of licenses. I understand that this might sound like too little too late, but it's a start. Next, a way of reversing the damage done, by the government creating an initiative to buy back an amount of plates which would make working in the taxi industry economically viable for the drivers who remain. Older drivers could be offered a sum of money to retire from taxiing altogether by selling their plates back to the state. If the state start giving the poor mouth (as i know they would), then perhaps a fund could be made up to buy back those plates from older taxi drivers. The fund could be partly subsidised by the state, but also from the remainding taxi drivers by a weekly payment for lets say, a years duration.
14-09-2011, 15:23   #634
DavieB

Taxi Ind

Taximus
You're beginnig to sound like a politician - Leaving all that aside. You can't ignore all of my submissiion and just stop issuing licences. I don't know if you mean Vehicle or Drivers licences. If you mean Vehicle licences, there are hundreds if not thousnads held by rental/cab companies. If you mean drivers licences, again several hundred or even thousands are not even used, but held just in case the owner loses their job.
What the Regulator has done at present i.e. Ceased issuing vehicle licences will eventually have an effect, but companies are still looking to buy from those leaving the industry. They need to stop issuing Drivers Licences, that way - no drivers no competition. Maybe restricting new entrants to day work only for a period, before they are allowed to work nights might help. I wouldn't subscribe to that myself. I'm all for free enterprise.
I still think the rental industry is compounding the situation.
Maybe one way might be for the Regulator to identify through the Revenue Commissioners those who are already in receipt of state pensions and refuse or restrict them. At least for a time.
22-12-2011, 23:01   #635
crumlin j

hi im doing the spsv test for the 3rd time tomorrow,i got 81 n 79 in the area last time so i failed by one question ha close but not close enough.if any one could pm sum questions id really apreciate it.thanks
Advertisement
23-12-2011, 09:06   #636
james116

if u can't pass the test on ur own u should not be allowed drive a taxi.
(2) thanks from:
28-12-2011, 11:41   #637
DavieB

Pigs Ear Restaurant is situated at?

Andrew Street

Nassau Street+

Parnell Street

Grafton Street

The Law Society Lounge and Club is situated at?

South William Street+

Wicklow Street

Wexford Street

Ormond Quay

Killarney Street runs one way from?

Lower Buckingham Street to Portland Row

Frankfort cottages to Amien Street

Portland Row to Lower Buckingham Street+

Seán McDermott Street to Cathal Brugha Street

Which of the following does not adjoin Amien Street?

Killarney Street+

Seville Place

Portland Road

Talbot Street
28-12-2011, 20:45   #638
crumlin j

sound for the advice james haha..thanks dave appreciate it
29-12-2011, 18:51   #639
DavieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james116 View Post
if u can't pass the test on ur own u should not be allowed drive a taxi.
Well James you obviously have a SPSV licence. Everybody should study to pass any test. Even Universities give out pass papers to students. Our Regulator gives no information for a vital part of the test the Area Knowledge and in fact only asks 36 questions???????????
Advertisement
29-12-2011, 20:28   #640
Losty Dublin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
Well James you obviously have a SPSV licence. Everybody should study to pass any test. Even Universities give out pass papers to students. Our Regulator gives no information for a vital part of the test the Area Knowledge and in fact only asks 36 questions???????????
Studying is one thing. Asking for the questions along with the answers ahead of the test is a different story.
29-12-2011, 21:48   #641
crumlin j

Quote:
very good point,only askin for a bit of help,not many decent people around anymore i have to say,everyone out for themselves and losty i asked for questions not answers.
30-12-2011, 15:18   #642
DavieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty Dublin View Post
Studying is one thing. Asking for the questions along with the answers ahead of the test is a different story.
Losty you should realise that there are thousands of permutations for the questions and answers. The Regulator gives no help in even recommending training and expects people to pass the test. Even existing drivers would fail the test. If they had the nerve to try it in the first place. By giving some answers I am only showing them what they should be aware of. In fact there is a whole lot more to be aware of, not least the fact that there is a 78% failure rate with the test. Some people have taken the test up to 9 times in order to pass it.
01-01-2012, 17:30   #643
yosser hughes

Quote:
Losty you should realise that there are thousands of permutations for the questions and answers. The Regulator gives no help in even recommending training and expects people to pass the test. Even existing drivers would fail the test. If they had the nerve to try it in the first place. By giving some answers I am only showing them what they should be aware of. In fact there is a whole lot more to be aware of, not least the fact that there is a 78% failure rate with the test. Some people have taken the test up to 9 times in order to pass it.
Interesting.How are there so many drivers from overseas then? Have they passed this test? I'd imagine if it's that hard then you'd struggle,especially if you're not originally from here.
01-01-2012, 17:36   #644
Andrew33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosser hughes View Post
Interesting.How are there so many drivers from overseas then? Have they passed this test? I'd imagine if it's that hard then you'd struggle,especially if you're not originally from here.
Go figure! 'course, if you mention the possibility that maybe some of them are not legit (or got someone else to sit the test) you're accused of racist comments.
01-01-2012, 17:46   #645
yosser hughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew33 View Post
Go figure! 'course, if you mention the possibility that maybe some of them are not legit (or got someone else to sit the test) you're accused of racist comments.
So is this happening? Are there people impersonating people at tests? Or are there still drivers with fake licences etc? What's been done about if if it is the case. Has the regulator made any comments on this?
If nothing is happening then the taxi driver lobby needs to up its pressure.I'm not hearing much from them these days.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion