Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-07-2009, 14:32   #1
conchubhar1

blood type?

this was the most suiyable forum i could see, move if it doesnt suit.

what does ''O RhD positive'' mean?

is it common etc..

thanks.
Advertisement
01-07-2009, 14:42   #2
Alun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

O+ is one of the most common types along with A+, although that can depend a bit on the country you're talking about.
Thanks from:
01-07-2009, 16:17   #3
tbh
Closed Account

moved from mens health to the doctors lounge
Thanks from:
01-07-2009, 16:24   #4
challengemaster

Right, going from LC biology:

Blood types are usually catagorized going by the ABO blood groupings, and Rhesus factor groupings.

The ABO blood groups are

A - 30% of population in Ireland
B - 11% of population in Ireland
AB - 3% of population in Ireland
O - 56% of population in Ireland

The Rhesus 'factor' or system, goes by the if the RhD antigen is present or not on the blood cells. If it is present, it's RhD positive, if it's missing, it's RhD negative. Being RhD positive or negative doesn't effect the individual at all, it's just another way used to classify blood types for transfusions to ensure things don't go wrong.

So, O RhD positive means that you fall into the "O" blood group, and have the RhD antigen (blood type more commonly called O+ or O positive)

O+ is the most common blood type in Ireland with almost 50% of the population having the blood type.

Hope that helps clear things up

Last edited by challengemaster; 01-07-2009 at 19:02.
Thanks from:
01-07-2009, 23:41   #5
conchubhar1

thanks all

so my blood is most likely not going to be used as supply and how common it is is so high

--
this boards.ie - i am talking about ireland
Advertisement
02-07-2009, 00:59   #6
CJTobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchubhar1 View Post
So my blood is most likely not going to be used as supply and how common it is is so high.
If I'm reading that right, it's exactly the opposite case, actually.

Y'see, type O blood does not have any A or B antigens, and therefore won't be detected as a foreign object when it enters another person's body. This makes it highly suitable for donations, especially when a person's blood group is unknown and a transfusion is needed quickly.

Aside from O- (the universal donor), O+ is perhaps the most sought after blood group by blood banks/hospitals.
02-07-2009, 08:59   #7
conchubhar1

cool

but it has the highest supply level and 47% of the country has it

anyway - ill be giving blood again in 2 and 1/2 months as it is worth it on the off chance it saves or helps someone

as it is less than an hour out of my day
02-07-2009, 09:18   #8
DrIndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchubhar1 View Post
cool

but it has the highest supply level and 47% of the country has it

anyway - ill be giving blood again in 2 and 1/2 months as it is worth it on the off chance it saves or helps someone

as it is less than an hour out of my day
Having the highest supply means it also has the highest demand for operations.

O- is special because it can be given to anyone - so if someone is bleeding out, then you give O- until blood is cross matched.

There are other antigens too which are minor antigens and only really apply if someone has had a lot of blood transfusions - giving the wrong minor antigen causes a minor transfusion reaction unlike a violent reaction if the wrong blood group is given. These have funky names like kell, duffy, lutheran, indian etc....

Interestingly O+ can be given to any person who is A+, B+, AB+ with only the risk of a minor reaction - but this is not ideal. AB is called the universal recipient (O groups have no antigens present to react with the host antibodies - but the have the full cohort of antibodies. AB has all the antigens but no antibodies. This means that although O- blood DOES contain some antibodies - they are rapidly diluted out in the body of the recipient and don't cause any real problem). HOWEVER the opposite is the case regarding plasma as it is all antibodies and no antigens.
02-07-2009, 14:48   #9
conchubhar1

cool thanks

gavent a breeze what you just said
Advertisement
02-07-2009, 14:51   #10
DrIndy

DONATE BLOOD!

So many people are excluded from doing so and your contribution will help someone live.
(4) thanks from:
02-07-2009, 14:53   #11
doctor evil
Closed Account

Which percentage of the populatoin is 0 Negative?

I have this blood type and am overdue to donate (will be doing this soon).
02-07-2009, 14:57   #12
Flying Abruptly

This might be a stupid question but how do you find out your blood type? when getting a blood test at doctors/hospital/donating?
02-07-2009, 15:00   #13
Bucklesman

As mentioned above O RhD positive is the most common blood type in the country. My mother worked in the Blood Bank and when I donated a pint of my own fine, healthy O positive for the first time last Easter she told me it was almost guaranteed to be used.
Thanks from:
02-07-2009, 15:04   #14
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor evil View Post
Which percentage of the population is 0 Negative?

I have this blood type and am overdue to donate (will be doing this soon).
There's a table on the wiki page I reference above, with an entry for Ireland. No idea how accurate it is though.

On a connected note when I donated blood in the Netherlands, they did it all on an on-demand basis, which meant that you got called up to donate when they needed to replenish their stocks of your blood group rather than just going every 3 months like here. I (O+) only seemed to get called up on average once every 9 months or so, whereas my wife (O-) got called up every 6 months, sometimes more frequently. I'm excluded now unfortunately, in case I give you all Mad Cow Disease
02-07-2009, 15:27   #15
tbh
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Abruptly View Post
This might be a stupid question but how do you find out your blood type? when getting a blood test at doctors/hospital/donating?
I asked the nice lady who takes my blood samples for my HB1Ac if she knew what blood type I was, and she said that they only check when asked by a doctor. I know in the states you can get self-testing kits, but have never seen them here.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion