Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-01-2011, 18:45   #181
lucernarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelskifan View Post
TBC...It's lying across the rafters. I'm going to try an amplified indoor to see what result I get. There may well be something (break IN the cable ??) that I'm not aware of that's causing it. Will let you know in a day or so.
That's the problem. It's lying across the rafters. It needs to be suspended above the rafters and below the tiles/slates themselves. I found very significant drops in signal with both VHF and UHF aerials if they're lying on the ground. You can use string to suspend the aerial from some of the overhead joists/rafters and that should make a very big difference. Or you can get proper loft mounting kits which involve a small bracket being fixed to a wooden beam and the aerial is then bolted to the short pole. I can get Cairn hill here on just an indoor aerial but when I put the aerial lying down on the rafters I was barely able to get the channel list on the set top box.

What I use in the loft is a bracket for a satellite dish like http://cms.killercontent.net/media/e...satbracket.jpg which is fastened to one of the beams with 2 screws or bolts.
Advertisement
05-01-2011, 09:34   #182
chelskifan

Thanks Sam /TBC
I have a spare sat' bracket that I can mount on a rafter and fix the aerial aerial to. in order to increase signal. Will also try a portable in the attic to check best position and confirm curent cable is ok.. Btw,tried a friend's amplified indoor aerial last night (he gets perfect reception with it) and had to hold it at ceiling height and by the window before I got reception of the 6 stns. May yet be a localised 'black spot' where I am but will try everything else first.
06-01-2011, 12:54   #183
chelskifan

Hi Sam / TBC,
I suspended the aerial from the beam lat night and the analogue signal jumped
significantly. Btw, noticed that it's not group W but group A (red cap)-another 'senior moment 'on my part. Unfortunately, didn't get to retune to
check what effect it had on the digital signal as I was called away.

Given that it's not wide band at all but band A and outside the channel bandwidth would I now be better replacing it for the correct one (C/D) ?
Would the 'gain' be worth it ?
06-01-2011, 14:53   #184
watty

Group A aerials are not bad on Group B and drop slowly on Group C/D
Aerials higher group than A are all bad at lower groups.
Most Group W aerials are really B/C with usable but lower group D and poor Group A.
Quote:
Given that it's not wide band at all but band A and outside the channel bandwidth would I now be better replacing it for the correct one (C/D) ?
Would the 'gain' be worth it ?
It reduces interference to have correct group. It likely would be worth it seeing as you are Group C/D (if you have decent Group B transmitter a Group A could be OK).

Last edited by watty; 06-01-2011 at 14:58.
Thanks from:
06-01-2011, 15:11   #185
chelskifan

Thanks Watty, will replace with correct C/D aerial as it can only help reception rather than hinder it.
Advertisement
06-01-2011, 15:24   #186
lucernarian

What's the digital signal strength like now after properly mounting the aerial?
06-01-2011, 15:28   #187
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelskifan View Post
Thanks Watty, will replace with correct C/D aerial as it can only help reception rather than hinder it.
And when you do point it towards Clermont Carn (Channel 53) which will be better line of sight along the coast than three rock. You may also pick up Kilkeel Freeview from NI when they come on end of 2012/early 13.

Last edited by STB; 06-01-2011 at 15:35.
06-01-2011, 16:47   #188
chelskifan

STB..Will check digital signal this evening (keeping in mind it's an A group aerial. Will be a good exercise to know what difference lifting it actually made.
Sam....Once I replace the A with a C/D (tomorrow evening ) I'll point it at Cairn Hill. As you say it's a better line of sight.

EDIT:
TBC....Will check digital signal this evening (keeping in mind it's an A group aerial).. Will be a good exercise to know what difference lifting it actually made.

STB.....Once I replace the A with a C/D (tomorrow evening ) I'll point it at Cairn Hill. As you say it's a better line of sight. Noticed last night that the 'split' within the general locality seems to be 70/30 in favour of Cairn Hill rather than 3 Rock.

Last edited by chelskifan; 06-01-2011 at 16:51. Reason: posted to wrong people..sorry.
06-01-2011, 16:49   #189
lucernarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB View Post
And when you do point it towards Clermont Carn (Channel 53) which will be better line of sight along the coast than three rock. You may also pick up Kilkeel Freeview from NI when they come on end of 2012/early 13.
I don't think that's true. No one south of the Carlingford Penninsula has a hope of picking Kilkeel freeview or otherwise with a loft aerial except perhaps the likes of parts of Clogherhead in Co. Louth and then with a massive aerial. Furthermore, Clermont Carn is heavily restricted currently and Three Rock is as strong as Clermont Carn even in many parts of Drogheda as a result! I estimate that the increase in power at DSO would still mean that only parts of Swords and northwards, beyond Rush, would be better off receiving from Clermont Carn. The SFN with Kippure also leans in favour of reception from Three Rock.

In short it would be madness to use Clermont Carn instead of Three Rock for anywhere but one or two patches at the very north of Swords. Definitely not Forrest road.
Advertisement
09-01-2011, 22:26   #190
chelskifan

Hi All, sorry for not getting back before now with an update.
Suspended the group A from a beam and the analohue reception increased about 30% but no digital signal. Replaced the group A with a C/D (pointed at 3 Rock) and immeditaly got digital reception of all tv/radio stns.Signal strength
across all is about 20% with quality as follows:
RTE1 -20% (does flucuate upto 50% initially but drops back down)
RTE2 -20% " " " " " " " " "
TV3 - 50%
TG4 -30%
RTEN -30%
3E - 50% (down to 10% during the day)
On-screen PQ is still VERY watchable though.
Will also point to Clairmont to see what the reception is like from there as several of the group A's I've seen locally pointed in this direction had no masthead so just maybe in this localised spot reception 'might' be better..who knows.. Many thanks to all for your comments/contributions to date.
20-01-2011, 17:26   #191
Midnight Rider

Some of the links in the original post are dead.

I was actually searching around to find out exactly what kind of aerial is necessary to receive Irish terrestrial television, and after checking out a bunch of replies and other sites I'm still as confused as ever.

But, I'm presuming that a 10db UHF loft aerial is suitable for the Dublin area?
20-01-2011, 18:18   #192
watty

yes.

Three Rock UHF
Thanks from:
20-01-2011, 18:38   #193
Midnight Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by watty View Post
yes.

Three Rock UHF
Thanks watty, that's what I was thinking.

I was on RTE's site too, I found it wasn't all that helpful.
20-01-2011, 19:05   #194
watty

Try
http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-s.../transmitters/
and
http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

I've been in contact with RTE and RTENL. They have promised more info.
Thanks from:
10-02-2011, 08:32   #195
slave1

Hi all, reasonably okay on satellite reception (Freesat distributed to 3 TVs, FTA on another 2) but pretty lost on terrestrial broadcasts.
When I purchased my house in '98 there was a huge ariel attached to the chimney which I took down during extension as a new hipped roof made future access dangerous, I relied on Chorus then Sky for RTE etc because the house must be located in some sort of broadcast 'shadow', hence the pre-existing ariel setup, I have tried cheap "rabbit-ears" in the past and nothing comes up on any TV. I am currently without RTE etc.
Now the digital era beckons so I'd like advise on what attic ariel I should seek to see whether I can pick up Saorview.
I'd prefer an Argos purchase because then I can bring back for an immediate refund if I can't pick up any signal, if I need a stronger ariel at least the Argos one (I hope) will provide an indication to me.
I am in Athlone.

Thanks in advance guys.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion