Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-06-2009, 22:51   #61
Teutorix

Send a message via MSN to Teutorix
Quote:
Originally Posted by sock puppet View Post
What's everyone's problem with Kenny? Although I saw the Fine Gael party political broadcast and he kept moving his hands while talking. He just looked ridiculous. I thought he was doing sign language as well as speaking at first.
I dont understand it either.
Advertisement
05-06-2009, 22:55   #62
Gavin "shels"

Send a message via MSN to Gavin "shels"
Voted this morning at 8.30 (before I went to school) and it was great, knew who I was voting for weeks ago.
05-06-2009, 23:29   #63
DanDan6592

If I had a vote I wudn't vote cause I don't think I know enough about what all the parties objectives are...

I also don't know who are left-wing, rite-wing etc.

Man 11 30 better go to bed!!
06-06-2009, 00:04   #64
donmeister
Closed Account

I voted today,I knew who I was going to vote for in the Local and County Council Elections,but for the European

Gave my 1,2,3,4 to men+women that I know already,clearly im not going to vote for someone that I don't know! After that it was just writing down 4-12 in a random order!*

*Anyone else think the voting ballot was alot like the first question in the Irish LC Test??
06-06-2009, 14:22   #65
Time Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Chin View Post
I was talking about the amount of people jumping in talking about how its a disgrace and young people shouldnt allowed vote
I don't think anyone has said 18 year-olds shouldn't be allowed vote. I certainly didn't.

Quote:
These arguments belong on the politics forum, not somewhere young people want a giggle
If you're 18 then I think you're more than old enough to vote. Who you vote for doesn't just affect you, it affects me as well. So please do not treat elections as an opportunity for a giggle, act your age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev_o View Post
It's a right to vote what you do with it is your business and no one others.
Yes, and if you're an eighteen year-old woman it's your right to go out, get drunk and get pregnant. It does not make it responsible. And unlike if you decide to get pregnant, how you vote affects everyone.

Quote:
EDIT: Also the critisers can't talk they did nothing to oust this current group of *insert derogatory term here* into Government so your criticism is void =P
How would you know? I have never given a preference to a Fianna Fáil or PD candidate, and no Green candidate got any preference from me this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piste View Post
Ah yeah, had a bit of an aul vote today. I can barely remember who I voted for ... I also voted (Way down the list though) for an independent candidate who 's profession was "jobseeker and poet". What a ledgend ... "ah yeah, put him down for the craic"
Hilarious.

Why don't you give our elections as much respect as older people do, Piste?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-06-2009, 14:43   #66
Stev_o

Because are political system is crap anyway doesn't matter who is in government at the moment they are going to be just as bad as their predecessors.
06-06-2009, 14:45   #67
QueenOfLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Economist View Post
I don't think anyone has said 18 year-olds shouldn't be allowed vote. I certainly didn't.

If you're 18 then I think you're more than old enough to vote. Who you vote for doesn't just affect you, it affects me as well. So please do not treat elections as an opportunity for a giggle, act your age.

Yes, and if you're an eighteen year-old woman it's your right to go out, get drunk and get pregnant. It does not make it responsible. And unlike if you decide to get pregnant, how you vote affects everyone.

How would you know? I have never given a preference to a Fianna Fáil or PD candidate, and no Green candidate got any preference from me this time around.

Hilarious.

Ok, really, i think you're over-exaggerating this. Everyone is welcome to comment in this forum, but be prepared to see typical teenage responses to things. Please stop being so condescending. Maybe i'm not old enough yet to have made up my mind as to what party to vote for? Some people know from an early age, however, i had no idea who best to vote for. I dont see any of them as capable of improving things for me tbh.

As well as that, you might have noticed that alot of people here are 17/18.....in other words, we are sitting the leaving cert. We have A LOT more on our plate at the moment.
(2) thanks from:
06-06-2009, 14:47   #68
Stev_o

The fact is there is a very large pool of people who won't vote for political party's because of their association with the founding of this state many years ago yet i hardly see anyone go and have a bark at them.
Thanks from:
06-06-2009, 15:28   #69
Jonathan

Mod: EMS, TCD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie!! View Post
Ok, really, i think you're over-exaggerating this. Everyone is welcome to comment in this forum, but be prepared to see typical teenage responses to things. Please stop being so condescending. Maybe i'm not old enough yet to have made up my mind as to what party to vote for? Some people know from an early age, however, i had no idea who best to vote for. I dont see any of them as capable of improving things for me tbh.
If you do not have the time to make up who to vote for, how do you have the time to go to the polling station?

Giving ample time to read up about the candidates/referendum goes hand in hand with actually going to the polling station.

Quote:
As well as that, you might have noticed that alot of people here are 17/18.....in other words, we are sitting the leaving cert. We have A LOT more on our plate at the moment.
Using the Leaving Cert as an excuse for an uninformed decision is a cop out.
We all have done it, yes, it is a hard exam. But we all survived it, and I certainly didn't use it as an excuse to affect the running of our country.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-06-2009, 15:30   #70
Piste

Quote:

I voted for him way down my list, so there was no chance of him being elected, but I did it anyway cos I felt sorry for him for being a "jobseeker and poet".
06-06-2009, 15:52   #71
QueenOfLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
If you do not have the time to make up who to vote for, how do you have the time to go to the polling station?

Giving ample time to read up about the candidates/referendum goes hand in hand with actually going to the polling station.

Using the Leaving Cert as an excuse for an uninformed decision is a cop out.
We all have done it, yes, it is a hard exam. But we all survived it, and I certainly didn't use it as an excuse to affect the running of our country.
It took me literally 2 minutes on the way home from my exams to vote.
I'm not using the leaving as an excuse, i'm saying that in my opinion it was more important for me to study than research candidates. In saying that, i read the leaflets they came around with, and i didn't particularly agree with any one of them. No policies stuck out as being something that I should vote for.
06-06-2009, 15:57   #72
Time Magazine

Quote:
Because are political system is crap anyway doesn't matter who is in government at the moment they are going to be just as bad as their predecessors.
Just because it sounds cool doesn't make it true.

Quote:
Maybe i'm not old enough yet ... i had no idea who best to vote for.
Then imho you should have put more effort in before you decided to give a number two to Libertas, for example.

Quote:
400,000 on the Live Register. If you want to be treated as an adult, expect to face the difficulties we all do.

Quote:
The fact is there is a very large pool of people who won't vote for political party's because of their association with the founding of this state many years ago yet i hardly see anyone go and have a bark at them.
Check the Politics forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piste View Post
I voted for him way down my list, so there was no chance of him being elected, but I did it anyway cos I felt sorry for him for being a "jobseeker and poet".
Doesn't answer my question, though.
Thanks from:
06-06-2009, 16:02   #73
challengemaster

Quote:
I'm sure if any of us were actually interested in politics, we would. No? So why don't you leave the politics discussion to the politics forum, and if anyone wants to have a serious discussion, do it over there?

This is a place for us to relax, have a laugh, etc - Not a place where we all sit down and debate about politics because we enjoy the topic.

K? Thx.
06-06-2009, 16:10   #74
Stev_o

Quote:

Lets count

Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
That was his own personal opinion. The core support of FG would not be able to stomoch the idea any time this century.
Mango23
Nor would Sinn Fein stomach being in power with a bunch of ex-facist blue shirts.

How is the same parties were all for sinn fein power sharing in the north but not here?
Exactly, free staters is your answer.

Considering SF have had their own illegal private army on the go for many decades now, the irony of that statement isn't lost on me ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodin View Post

"had". So did part of the Labour party. They've moved on......
A lot of people remain unconvinced of that.

They weren't illegal at all, they were representitive of the soveriegn government of the United Kingdom, of which Ireland was a member. They were much more "legal" than the IRA who never put themselves up for election.

If you were to say the Brits were illegally occupying the place back then you'd have to say they are illegally occupying the place now.

It goes on like this for 5 pages btw in one thread no less in fact i can't be bothered copying and pasting so ill just link it to show what a great example is being set

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...mango23&page=5

06-06-2009, 16:33   #75
Jonathan

Mod: EMS, TCD
Quote:
It took me literally 2 minutes on the way home from my exams to vote.
I'm not using the leaving as an excuse, i'm saying that in my opinion it was more important for me to study than research candidates. In saying that, i read the leaflets they came around with, and i didn't particularly agree with any one of them. No policies stuck out as being something that I should vote for.
No one is forcing you to vote.

If you didn't agree with any of the policies you could have just spoilt your vote, or even not even bothered going to the polling station.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion