midget bites? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-06-2009, 11:34   #1
KittyeeTrix

midget bites?

Just a quick question if any can help shed some light on midget bites....
Spent the long weekend camping in Roundstone, there were loads of midgets about the place on the Saturday night.
My 7 year was eaten alive by them (counted about 100 bites especially about this head) whereas his brothers and sisters only had about 5-10 on them.....
Why do they make mince meat out of one person whilst hardly affecting others?
I've heard all sorts about this from other people
*they go for people with sweet blood
*they are attracted to people with some deficiency (vitamin?)

Not looking for advice on how to treat the bites, have been to the chemist and have gotten anthisan and cortopin to put on them but would love to know why he is bitten so extensively in comparison to his siblings?

I got bitten much worse as well and to be honest I don't want to subject the young lad to this torture again over the summer as we were thinking of trying to camp out a few times especially if we get the summer we are promised....

Also, would ye know of anything to do to reduce his risk of them biting i.e. products?

Would really appreciate any input on this as have tried googling it but just finding joke sites about midgets <short people> and nothing about insect bites
Thanks guys....
Advertisement
02-06-2009, 11:43   #2
drunkmonkey

I drink plenty of milk and i've never had a problem with bites or midgets wherever i've been, just an observation, I doubt any doctor would agree..
Thanks from:
02-06-2009, 11:54   #3
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffyorganic1 View Post
Would really appreciate any input on this as have tried googling it but just finding joke sites about midgets <short people> and nothing about insect bites.
That would be because they're called midges and not midgets
(2) thanks from:
02-06-2009, 12:14   #4
KittyeeTrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alun View Post
That would be because they're called midges and not midgets
Thanks Alun, your a star.
Just googled midges instead of midgets and there is loads of info on why they are attracted to some people over others.
Plenty of advice as well about how to make up some home remedies to protect the little one from them.
Really helped, thanks again.....
02-06-2009, 12:21   #5
Alun

No problem .. I'd never heard them called 'midgets' until I arrived in Ireland, and thought it was people having a joke, but soon realized they actually meant it

Anyway, as an ardent hillwalker I'm plagued by the things regularly. What I do is use citronella oil and dab it (literally only a few drops!) on the brim of my sun hat and on the shoulder straps of my rucksack. That creates a nice lemony scent as I walk along and seems to keep them at bay. When you stop it's less effective, but still helps a bit. Don't put it neat on your skin BTW, it's very strong and might burn or cause an allergic reaction.
Advertisement
02-06-2009, 12:25   #6
ManFromAtlantis
Closed Account

ya i know they're short but i dont think bite.
02-06-2009, 12:50   #7
KittyeeTrix

Quote:
No problem .. I'd never heard them called 'midgets' until I arrived in Ireland, and thought it was people having a joke, but soon realized they actually meant it

Anyway, as an ardent hillwalker I'm plagued by the things regularly. What I do is use citronella oil and dab it (literally only a few drops!) on the brim of my sun hat and on the shoulder straps of my rucksack. That creates a nice lemony scent as I walk along and seems to keep them at bay. When you stop it's less effective, but still helps a bit. Don't put it neat on your skin BTW, it's very strong and might burn or cause an allergic reaction.
Been reading on the net about making a mix of johnson's baby oil, and dettol (70:30 mix) so will try that particular one and will add in a few drops of citronella oil.
Hopefully that will do the trick
Honest to god, myself and the young lad were driven to distraction by them, we nearly pulled the bloody heads off ourselves........
We must have given some people a right laugh looking at us running around the campsite like demented fools
My brother was camping nearby in Oughterard and he never even made it out of his car as they were attacking him so badly...... He packed up the next morning and drove back home....
02-06-2009, 12:52   #8
KittyeeTrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManFromAtlantis View Post
ya i know they're short but i dont think bite.

I would have preferred to have been fighting real midgets
At least you'd throw them one good punch and they'd leave ya alone
02-06-2009, 13:01   #9
**Timbuk2**

I heard they only go after certain blood types, although I just heard this off some of my friends (not always a reliable source).

They don't usually bite me and I'm O+ Blood Type
Thanks from:
Advertisement
02-06-2009, 13:03   #10
DrIndy

i go fishing a lot so get plagues by them - one thing i noticed is they will fly past the area of DEET and find the smallest patch you missed and sting you there. I spray the stuff on me like deodrant (chest and legs - even when wearing loads of layers) because they will get you EVERYWHERE.

Hate them.

Don't know about blood group - I'm O+ and get eaten by them!

I think part of it is the host response - some people have a big histamine response to the bites and get lots of itchy welts. Some people don't have the same antigen response and so no reaction = no itch.

Last edited by DrIndy; 02-06-2009 at 13:05.
Thanks from:
02-06-2009, 18:22   #11
KittyeeTrix

Yeah, I also heard about them going for particular blood types. I'm O neg and they make a meal out of me !!!!!
I agree that it has to be linked to the body's histamine response, I suffer some type of allergy ( haven't been able to pin it down yet).......might actually be a topic for another thread <hormonal rhinitis>......Will go into that particular tale at some other stage
Where can you get deet and what is the situation regarding it's use on a 7 year old?
Would love to camp again over the summer but am really against putting the young lad through the experience again, the poor thing
02-06-2009, 18:29   #12
Alun

DEET is an ingredient in many insect repellants. See the list of contents for how much is in there. Apparently (according to someone I know who swears by it and travels to countries where they have much worse than just midge(t)s) Boots own brand is pretty good and contains 50% DEET. Some 'extreme' products contain up to 95% of the stuff. Lidl had some recently that contains 30% DEET, they may have some left at your local Lidl, mine (in Greystones) does. Don't know what the deal is regarding young kids using it unfortunately.
02-06-2009, 18:40   #13
KittyeeTrix

Quote:
DEET is an ingredient in many insect repellants. See the list of contents for how much is in there. Apparently (according to someone I know who swears by it and travels to countries where they have much worse than just midge(t)s) Boots own brand is pretty good and contains 50% DEET. Some 'extreme' products contain up to 95% of the stuff. Lidl had some recently that contains 30% DEET, they may have some left at your local Lidl, mine (in Greystones) does. Don't know what the deal is regarding young kids using it unfortunately.
Good stuff alun, will definitely check that out.
Thanks again for the sound info
02-06-2009, 19:29   #14
Amnesiac_ie

Send a message via MSN to Amnesiac_ie
I hate, hate, HATE the taste of DEET when it gets in my mouth but I react pretty severely to any insect bites so DEET is my foul tasting friend.
02-06-2009, 20:28   #15
Pet

Irish midges have nothing on their Scottish relatives. Bloodthirsty monsters, they are.

Last year, when I was at a retreat in the Highlands, they offered us some neem capsules to take, which did appear to work quite well, although they take a day or two. And they taste absolutely horrible - small price to pay, though!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion