Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HDMI 1080 what connection to buy?

• 20-05-2009 12:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

i have a bravia 1080 and use for xbox the picture is that "mind blowing", do i have to buy an xbox connection lead to hook up a hdmi cable that i have to the tv? as there is no hdmi connection on back of xbox!
    i have the switch on xbox lead to "hdtv" but my question is does the picture improve if i buy an XCM xbox hdmi cable connection?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

ferdyfish wrote: »
    i have a bravia 1080 and use for xbox the picture is that "mind blowing", do i have to buy an xbox connection lead to hook up a hdmi cable that i have to the tv? as there is no hdmi connection on back of xbox!
    i have the switch on xbox lead to "hdtv" but my question is does the picture improve if i buy an XCM xbox hdmi cable connection?

Just use the composite lead (red, green, blue) into the back of your tv and then the red and white audio leads. You'll get 1080p from that.

@BlitzKrieg sticky please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Or if youve a vga adapter on your tv use this:

Xbox 360 Vga

I use it and picture is excellent

Pity there isnt a proper one for the playstation3

duploelabs wrote: »
    Just use the composite lead (red, green, blue) into the back of your tv and then the red and white audio leads. You'll get 1080p from that.

You mean Component.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You cant get 1080P from the componet cables! I had a HDMI cable that let me use 1080P but went back to the componet cable to use the optical output for my speakers and I can only pick 1080i!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I think you can. My TV shows a 1080p res when at the dashboard and I have it connected via component.

It may actually depend on the particular TV and if that set accepts a 1080p signal via component. Just looked up my TVs specs and it states under special features that it does accept 1080p on the HDMI and component. Other sets may only accept 1080p thru the HDMI.

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    You mean Component.
    yes, long day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

bucks73 wrote: »
    I think you can. My TV shows a 1080p res when at the dashboard and I have it connected via component.

It may actually depend on the particular TV and if that set accepts a 1080p signal via component. Just looked up my TVs specs and it states under special features that it does accept 1080p on the HDMI and component. Other sets may only accept 1080p thru the HDMI.

Yep, it depends on the TV model. I use to disply 1080p through component on my PS3. Most Samsungs will do it no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I have an idea. As most of us know, there is no major difference between component and HDMI I'd like to propose to do a some kind of comparison.
    Like xbox connected to the same tv using 3 different interfaces (component, vga and HDMI).
    Make a proper macro photos on edges etc.
    As I don't have a proper setup at home, just standard crt tv I can't do that, but I will be happy to help with such a project. I can borrow photospectrometer + software from job to measure if there is any difference in colours (delta) but obviously I can't do it on my setup.

What do you all think about that? It would be deffinive end of questions like 'what should I take' and answers 'get HDMI far more superior because its DIGITAL'

Not forgetting you get the HDCP 'handshake' between devices with HDMI, but not with VGA or Component

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I imagine there's very little difference between Component and HDMI (I certainly didn't notice the difference anyways)

I chose to use Component because the stupid way the HDMI prevents the use of the optical out for sound (5.1 receiver doesn't have HDMI). I certainly didn't notice any difference.

Also the majority of games output in 720p max afaik - the xbox upscales to 1080p so there won't be a massive difference depending on cable.

See here for a (slightly outdated but relevant) list of games that are actual 1080p and those which are 720p but upscale to 1080p:

http://www.makeyougohmm.com/xbox360-1080p-games/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

I chose to use Component because the stupid way the HDMI prevents the use of the optical out for sound (5.1 receiver doesn't have HDMI). I certainly didn't notice any difference.

If you take the grey casing off the component lead it reveals a silver casing that you can use at the same time as HDMI lead so you can have hdmi for video and optical for sound. my receiver did not pass sound through on hdmi so I had to do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptCB_3DOz4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭ferdyfish

the older xbox360 model i have does not have a hdmi connection in the back so im playing using the normal connection with switch option "tv"or hdtv" it works when i have it to "tv" and the yellow red white into a scart connection. when i switch to "hdtv" on the xbox cable it doesnt work. the xbox power light goes to red. with no picture.
    how do i get rid of scart and connect the red yellow red white to the bravia?!!
    i have no red green blue cables!
    i connect the white red for audio ya? sound works but any other avaible hole on back of bravia for the white of the trio doesnt work!
    the component connections on back of 1080 tv are from bottom: red -R, yellow-L, red- Pr /Cr black -Pb/ Cb , black -Y
    . i cant get any of the top three to work with the yellow input. i presume i have the bottom red n white input correct as sound works.
    not sure this post is making sense to ye, but hope i get a reply from someone with the same tv type as me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Well I did the slight modification and it works fine but I discovered something very annoying.

The Xbox reboots each time the HDMI port becomes active. I was playing Far Cry 2 over the HDMI, I paused, having not saved in a while, and switched over to Sky to watch the Ireland match, when I went back to the input for the xbox and the video connection went live again the ****in xbox reboots to initialise it again. Lost about an hours gaming.

Sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Full HD ony comes from HDMI connection. componant will give you 720/1080i.
    Componant on xbox is still very good, but you know it can be better with proper connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

As I said on a previous thread, if you don't have the updated 360 core/premium with the HDMI connection, you can buy an Xbox 360 -> HDMI connection. I'm gonna get one soon but dunno if they sell them in town, just seen them on the Xbox site

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Full HD ony comes from HDMI connection. componant will give you 720/1080i.
    Componant on xbox is still very good, but you know it can be better with proper connection.
    :rolleyes:
    Component will transmit up to 1080p and is just as good as HDMI, the drawback is that you don't get HDCP and sound on the same cable

Then why not call them HD componant?

component cable does 1080i only with Hd-Dvd's. It does 1080p in games according to this.

docentore wrote: »
    component cable does 1080i only with Hd-Dvd's. It does 1080p in games according to this.
    Ah yes, HD-DVD. A format for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Also it's only the HD VGA or HDMI that will upscale DVDs to 1080p

• Advertisement

Jev/N wrote: »
    Also it's only the HD VGA or HDMI that will upscale DVDs to 1080p
    touche

but component cable is still capable of doing 1080p in games tough.

And also saying that HD-DVD is dead format is not relevant in the discussion.

Component connection is as good as HDMI! Just because there is HD in HDMI doesn't mean that component isn't HD.

There is not a huge differance in HDMI and componant. But there is a differance.
    Its like saying there is no differance between composite and componant. A cable make a hell of a differance when you haave the right tv.

There is not a huge differance in HDMI and componant. But there is a differance.
    Its like saying there is no differance between composite and componant. A cable make a hell of a differance when you haave the right tv.

Oh man. Its COMPONENT and there is huge difference between composite and component. First is Standard definition connection second one is High Definition connection.

to the rest, whatever, there will be always one saying "HDMI is better 'cause its digital and the difference is huuuge'. I would really love to do a test proposed on the first page, I don't have proper TV at the moment to test it.

Oh man, bet richer sounds cable department see you coming a mile off

Oh man. Its COMPONENT and there is huge difference between composite and component. First is Standard definition connection second one is High Definition connection.

to the rest, whatever, there will be always one saying "HDMI is better 'cause its digital and the difference is huuuge'. I would really love to do a test proposed on the first page, I don't have proper TV at the moment to test it.

Ive done a test using a blu-ray player and full hd tv.
    Also who said componANT and composite has no differance.:p

Ive done a test using a blu-ray player and full hd tv.
    Also who said componANT and composite has no differance.:p

again it is called component connection, and this thread is in xbox forum not blu-ray.

again it is called component connection, and this thread is in xbox forum not blu-ray.

I know, im doing it to annoy you.:P

I know, im doing it to annoy you.:P

Please, please please stop doing that. I'm so easilly getting annoyed ;)

• Advertisement

Ah we have a good back and forth.

Advertisement