Dublin South Bye-Election - POLL (READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!) - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who is getting your Vote in the June 5th Bye Election
Shay Brennan Fianna Fáil 4 5.80%
Alex White The Labour Party 11 15.94%
George Lee Fine Gael 28 40.58%
Elizabeth Davidson The Green Party 1 1.45%
Shaun Tracey Sinn Féin 2 2.90%
Malachy Steenson The Workers Party 0 0%
Ross O'Mullane Independent 20 28.99%
Other Candidate 1 1.45%
Intend to spoil vote/ wont turn up 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

06-05-2009, 23:24   #1
Agent Smith
Did you enjoy the fuhrer's birthday?

Dublin South Bye-Election - POLL (READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!)

Right, Here's an Interesting idea.

See the Above poll? This is indended for People to Vote who would be getting their number 1 vote in the up and coming Bye -Election.

I do not, under any circumstances want a single person Bitching, Moaning or Trying to circumvent the poll. (re-regs)

The Poll will be Secret. (ie. your name will not be shown)

so basicly posts like

"i'm voting for john wayne cause i believe he's a good milkman"
are allowed

Posts like
"Vote John Wayne, he's the best milkman"

ARE NOT ALLOWED

Usual Rules apply. Added bonus for the person who picks the top 3 in correct order come june 5th!

Get posting!

Last edited by Agent Smith; 07-05-2009 at 11:28.
Advertisement
07-05-2009, 10:11   #2
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
"i'm voting for john wayne cause i believe he's a good milkman"

Where's the option to vote for him them, already my preferred candidate
07-05-2009, 10:13   #3
Cookie_Monster

Send a message via Skype™ to Cookie_Monster
Also what about Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, since it is a whole other constituancy in "South Dublin"
07-05-2009, 10:31   #4
Ron DMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
Also what about Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown, since it is a whole other constituancy in "South Dublin"
There's no by-election in DLR, only in Dublin South because of the death of Seamus Brennan.

The local elections however are happening left right and centre but there's millions of them, so a poll for each are would be a bit much. One overall election thread for the local elections would probably suffice. Feel free to start the topic.
09-05-2009, 20:17   #5
strongbluebell

I'll go for Alex White, he's been visible in the constituency, working away. The days are over in my opinion where someone can hope to get elected just because their daddy was.
Advertisement
12-05-2009, 11:48   #6
pokerpaddy

Unless we change our political system, we are not going to fix the problems we face. IMHO etc.

At the moment our government doesn't even know what the problem is.

George Lee - great and all, but as long as he's part of a political party he will be like a wasp in a jar.

So I, er, believe Ross O'Mullane to be the best milkman. (Got 2% of the vote in Dublin South already and i've only been using online media - thanks to all the supporters!)

Post on my blog about this. (hope link doesn't offend any rules?)

Last edited by pokerpaddy; 12-05-2009 at 14:51. Reason: corrected link
12-05-2009, 13:29   #7
bobk

I have to say, the parties are really spouting the same old rhetoric. Time for something different.
I'm voting for the Independent Ross O'Mullane as he seems to be the only one embracing technology to reach out to the constituents to make a difference.

The rest I feel are stuck in the past
(2) thanks from:
12-05-2009, 13:47   #8
Emmo

Ross O'Mullane

He just seems to actually want to represent people rather than business interests.

He has a really innovative way to allow people to have their voice heard and as he has not alligned himself with any political party maybe he can actually help the people instead of getting bogged down in political parties in their interplay.

Emmo
Thanks from:
13-05-2009, 16:53   #9
Gingy

Excuse my ignorance, but who's Ross O'Mullane, haven't seen/heard anything about him.
Advertisement
13-05-2009, 18:57   #10
Agent Smith
Did you enjoy the fuhrer's birthday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingy View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but who's Ross O'Mullane, haven't seen/heard anything about him.

Ross O'Mullane - independent candidate who is using the power of online media to Promote himself, (and this poll...)
13-05-2009, 22:20   #11
SerialComplaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpaddy View Post
Unless we change our political system, we are not going to fix the problems we face. IMHO etc.

At the moment our government doesn't even know what the problem is.

George Lee - great and all, but as long as he's part of a political party he will be like a wasp in a jar.

So I, er, believe Ross O'Mullane to be the best milkman. (Got 2% of the vote in Dublin South already and i've only been using online media - thanks to all the supporters!)

Post on my blog about this. (hope link doesn't offend any rules?)
Your blog? Is that you Ross?

How are you going to act/vote in the Dail when you get directly conflicting views from citizens on your site? How are you going to prevent abuses through people taking on multiple identities when posting to your forum?

Does it make sense to ignore the 30% of the population that don't have Internet access?

Last edited by SerialComplaint; 13-05-2009 at 22:22.
17-05-2009, 16:35   #12
Mr Magnolia

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/camp...ld-of-the-www/
18-05-2009, 16:20   #13
pokerpaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialComplaint View Post
Your blog? Is that you Ross?

How are you going to act/vote in the Dail when you get directly conflicting views from citizens on your site? How are you going to prevent abuses through people taking on multiple identities when posting to your forum?

Does it make sense to ignore the 30% of the population that don't have Internet access?
Yep - this is I, Ross O'Mullane.

It is proposed that voting would involve a registered voter of dublin south registering by texting their name and address to a number. This would get checked against the register, if it matches, a password would be posted to the person.*
How technology could be used overview.

*This is not a perfect solution and is somewhat vulnerable, I am open to suggestions on how it could be made easier and more efficient.

Many special interest groups focus on certain sections of society, so I'll be going for internet users - better than current political parties who ignore 99% of the electorate. meow.
19-05-2009, 00:24   #14
SerialComplaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerpaddy View Post

It is proposed that voting would involve a registered voter of dublin south registering by texting their name and address to a number. This would get checked against the register, if it matches, a password would be posted to the person.*
How technology could be used overview.

*This is not a perfect solution and is somewhat vulnerable, I am open to suggestions on how it could be made easier and more efficient.
Thanks for the clarification. Anyone could easily drive a coach and horses through this registration process, and register all their neighbours and friends, so they could take control over their 'votes' in your process.

But I still don't get how you are going to make it work. If you get diametrically opposed views from many of your constitutients on controversial topics, how are you going to work this? Let's take a proposal to proceed to legislate for the X case Supreme Court judgement on abortion - are you simply going to vote based on the majority of inputs to your web poll?
19-05-2009, 13:18   #15
pokerpaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialComplaint View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Anyone could easily drive a coach and horses through this registration process, and register all their neighbours and friends, so they could take control over their 'votes' in your process.

But I still don't get how you are going to make it work. If you get diametrically opposed views from many of your constitutients on controversial topics, how are you going to work this? Let's take a proposal to proceed to legislate for the X case Supreme Court judgement on abortion - are you simply going to vote based on the majority of inputs to your web poll?
We can get bogged down in the details of an implementation - overall i'm saying why not use technology? why not have an government monitored online forum where more people can more easily get involved in politics?

your example on the x case - i would say that majority makes decisions - is that not what democracy is?
i think people are capable of making ethical and good decisions. i sense that you feel they are not?
Thread Closed