Ring of Kerry cycle - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-04-2009, 09:56   #1
billyhead

Ring of Kerry cycle

Folks,
Is anyone doing this in July. If so has anyone done it before and would they be able to recommend a good b&B in the vicinity. Also I am not great when it comes to fundraising so I was wondering if you think they would accept me giving them say €50 to the charity on the morning of the race
Advertisement
28-04-2009, 10:16   #2
TinyExplosions

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyhead View Post
Folks,
Is anyone doing this in July. If so has anyone done it before and would they be able to recommend a good b&B in the vicinity. Also I am not great when it comes to fundraising so I was wondering if you think they would accept me giving them say €50 to the charity on the morning of the race
It's a great event to do -did it last year, and h ad a great weekend. Alas, I'm in France doing la Marmotte this year, but I'm sure they'd be grand with you just giving them 50 bucks.

As for B&B's -just use the usual websites and you'll find something, Killarney is tourist central so you won't have any problems
28-04-2009, 10:23   #3
AstraMonti

Send a message via MSN to AstraMonti
Tiny how did you find the route? Is it more difficult than the wicklow hills? If i remember correctly its around 150kms?
28-04-2009, 10:29   #4
blorg

I stayed in the youth hostel which was a nice place and certainly cheap although around 5km outside Killarney which was a negative, fine for the morning of the event etc. just a bit difficult to get a taxi back at 3am after we had been out that night. They have a crazy system for getting taxis down there, they come around a roundabout and it is basically a sprint and fight to the door, there is no queuing whatsoever.

Note the reason I stayed in the youth hostel was I left it too late and couldn't get a B&B so make sure to book early.
28-04-2009, 10:30   #5
kenmc

it's around 160km i think. the worst thing about the route is the tour busses, some of them pass you with little room to spare, others get snarled up on bends and slow you down.
Scenery is beautiful. It's much less hilly than wicklow 200.

vs
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-04-2009, 10:30   #6
penexpers
Closed Account

The route is grand. There's only 2 major drags to worry about, one coming out of Waterville that I can't rememebr the name of and one coming out of Kenmare called Moll's Gap. Moll's Gap can be tough because it's at the very end. The rest of the route is relatively flat.
28-04-2009, 10:31   #7
blorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraMonti View Post
Tiny how did you find the route? Is it more difficult than the wicklow hills? If i remember correctly its around 150kms?
It is very easy, very very flat indeed, flattest sportive I have ever done. 180km and there are two "climbs" - the first one is barely noticable and then Molls Gap goes on for a while but it is still nothing on anything in Wicklow. If I wasn't doing the Marmotte I would be doing this one on the fixie.
28-04-2009, 10:32   #8
TinyExplosions

Quote:
A lot easier than the Wicklow hills. Fist 60 odd km are flat, and you can get in a bunch and save energy. After that you have a feed stop, some rolling hills, then onto Coomakista which is the first 'climb', but is more of an extended drag (think the route out of Enniskerry by powerscourt and up to the Liam Horner sort of thing.

Then there's some more rolling hills before you hit the second stop at Kenmare, before hitting the only real climb of Molls Gap -it's long enough, but nothing too tough -if you're comfortable on Sally Gap, you'll be grand on Molls gap. Then it's a fairly long descent and a bit of flat before you're back in Killarney for a nice bottle of pop

Well recommended, and if you've managed the WW200, you'll be fine on the ROK
Thanks from:
28-04-2009, 10:34   #9
AstraMonti

Send a message via MSN to AstraMonti
Great, i think i will be missing w200, i am heavinly untrained for it and i want to look forward to something! Do i have to get a one day license for it?
Advertisement
28-04-2009, 10:34   #10
ROK ON

Quote:
Hi, I'm not Tiny but I spend a lot of time in Kery and know the route very well.

Apart fro the distance (180km), the rute is reasonably flat. Only 2 clombs of note. (1) Coomakista between Waterville and Derrynane and Molls Gap from the Kenmare side.

Coomakista is short, but very manageable. Tough in parts, but nothing like any regular climbs in Wicklow. There are some real challeging climbs in Kerry, but not on the Ring of Kerry cycle.
Molls Gap is an 8KM drag up from Kenmare. Steep for last 500m.
If you are out in Wicklow regulalry, then you will have no problem on th ROK, provided you can do the distance.
I did it for the first time last year, on a cross bike with 32"knobbly tyres. Only training I did was out in Kildare. I got around just fine, (very tired, but fine).

Longest spin that I did before the ROK was 110km.

It is a great event, with incredible local support. There are people waving you on everywhere. By the end, yu will be sick from all of the cake sweets etc that you will consume. Massages n Caherciveen and Kenmare.
All you need is good weather (not guaranteed in Kerry).
28-04-2009, 10:37   #11
Oscar Gateaux
Clondalkin's Finest

Mod: Cycling
Like the lads, I'd say it's much easier than the Wicklow 200. The mass start means you can get in a big bunch and absolutely tear around the the first half of the course. Coomakista is more a big drag than a climb and I was going up it at about 30kph last year. Molls Gap is a climb, long but not especially steep. The fact that it's at the end means you can give your all to get over and then fly downhill back into Killarney.

The Ring of Kerry is a good one to do. Nice scenery, well organised event and it's a bit of crack to get away for the weekend.
28-04-2009, 10:38   #12
ROK ON

I recd info from Ring of Kerry organisers last week.
They are handing ut bibs n registration, and say that cyclists must wear the bib.

What is a bib (is this the number you pin on) or is it a high viz thingy.
I have spend too much money investing in cycling gear in order to look even better. Have no intention of covering it up with some ridiculous bib thing.
28-04-2009, 10:40   #13
Oscar Gateaux
Clondalkin's Finest

Mod: Cycling
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROK ON View Post
I recd info from Ring of Kerry organisers last week.
They are handing ut bibs n registration, and say that cyclists must wear the bib.

What is a bib (is this the number you pin on) or is it a high viz thingy.
I have spend too much money investing in cycling gear in order to look even better. Have no intention of covering it up with some ridiculous bib thing.
Bib sounds suspiciously like a high viz vest.

EDIT: Like these?
28-04-2009, 10:42   #14
ROK ON

I would love to see a cycle event around the Ring of Beara. There are some real bad bast*rd climbs around there on deserted roads (Borland Valley, Priests Leap, Healy Pass)>

If anyone is heading down to Kerry for a few days to do the Ring of Kerry, then they should also think about getting in some cycling on the Beara.
28-04-2009, 10:44   #15
rottenhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROK ON View Post
There are some real challeging climbs in Kerry, but not on the Ring of Kerry cycle.
Sorry, we've been on-topic for far too long...

I'll be in Kenmare next week with the bike. What would you say are the cycling high points (quality and/or altitude)? Weather permitting, I should be able to get in four or five decent spins so feel free to go on at length.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion