Can Astronomy Ireland really be considered an 'Astronomy club' anymore? - Page 12 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-08-2009, 11:45   #166
Hauk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken!! View Post
No problemo dude Now .. back to the AI bashing, you first Hauk ( )
They signed me up for all their mailing lists. Not just one. ALL of them. ;_;
Hauk is offline  
Advertisement
19-08-2009, 11:48   #167
Linguo
Registered User
 
Linguo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,135
Don't wanna pay 40 to go!

We have a nice scope so may just head out somewhere with it if it's clear!

Weather hasn't been looking too promising though!
Linguo is offline  
19-08-2009, 11:50   #168
Hadouken!!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauk View Post
They signed me up for all their mailing lists. Not just one. ALL of them. ;_;
Ah you didn't make the mistake of contacting them through e-mail did you? tut tut You now have e-mails for life. Congrats

But seriously, hope you do enjoy the night.

Just don't ruin your night vision by watching the Fire juggler
Hadouken!! is offline  
19-08-2009, 12:02   #169
Hauk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 576
Heh. Cheers, it should be fun. And if it's cloudy, it's to the nearest pub.
Hauk is offline  
19-08-2009, 17:08   #170
Frank Ryan Jr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Limerick
Posts: 24
[quote=100% recycled;60802524]I was all ready to do the deal but they pulled out at the last minute saying AI had made a complaint against them to the main distributor (apparently they had told quite a few Irish people they could ship here) and if they sent to me they could be shut down!

How can AI have such a strangle hold on the Irish market. There is no fair market, it's a monopoly!! /quote]

Uh.
What?
Surely this is not the case.
Are you sure of your facts here?
There is NO WAY a company trading in European Union can dictate
to a distributor because an off shore company wants to ship here.
That's not just madness - and it's downright illegal.
(as you say yourself competition law e.g monopoly.)
Be very sure you are right when you make this claim.

Company's are well within their rights to do 'deals' and
to to decide who they trade with but,
a competitor preventing another established
business from doing a transaction with another EU citizen is very odd.
Frank Ryan Jr is offline  
Advertisement
19-08-2009, 19:15   #171
Stargate
Registered User
 
Stargate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Cork City
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauk View Post
Okay, my apologies. I shouldn't have let loose like that.
Fair Dews to you Hadouken!! and Hauk , a great debate , very very well conducted , hats off to both of you
Stargate is offline  
19-08-2009, 19:40   #172
Hadouken!!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate View Post
Fair Dews to you Hadouken!! and Hauk , a great debate , very very well conducted , hats off to both of you
More a little misunderstanding Star but ta

Nice to see it could be sorted so easy though. If only all lifes little problems were as easy Like cloud cover... and how to make it go away
Hadouken!! is offline  
19-08-2009, 23:57   #173
lithiumoxide
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguo View Post
staff do everything and dont get paid for doing after work activities so AI have it very sweet in there

There isnt money spent on advertising, it relies on press releases and interviews
Incorrect on both counts. Money is spent on advertising, and staff are paid for after-work activities.

As with any company or organisation, press notices are regularly used to disseminate information to the media, as I'm sure you know.
lithiumoxide is offline  
19-08-2009, 23:59   #174
lithiumoxide
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken!! View Post
If only all lifes little problems were as easy Like cloud cover... and how to make it go away
So true! I was watching the skies vehemently for the Perseids, but unfortunately it was cloudy that night I did get to see a couple of meteors the following night, though!
lithiumoxide is offline  
Advertisement
20-08-2009, 00:22   #175
Calibos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Bray
Posts: 5,042
I'd love to get in free with my 16" Dob for the public to look through....but I am not allowed....because its a Meade I gaurantee Hauks/DCU's scope is a Celestron SCT or an ATM Dob. I was even going to pay in last year but was quietly informed not to bring my scope (twas an Orion back then). This rule is probably in place because AI...I mean A&S are the Celestron Distributor and only want the public to see that brand. THe excuse given however is that its the attending Celestron Reps who provide the Celestron Prizes. While I very much beleive its the former rather than the later due to the AI chairman and A&S propreiter being one and the same, I wouldn't put it past Celestron themselves which kind of ties in with Franks post.

Celestron Distributors the world over are the same with unfair practices. You see posts making the same complaints in Australias ICEINSPACE forums for instance. While they certainly can't stop one of their European dealers selling a Celestron scope to someone in Ireland under the letter of the law, they can quietly threaten the dealer that any sales to outside their homemarket will be frowned upon and those juicy wholesale discounts might start to disappear.
Calibos is offline  
20-08-2009, 00:39   #176
lithiumoxide
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibos View Post
I'd love to get in free with my 16" Dob for the public to look through....but I am not allowed....because its a Meade I gaurantee Hauks/DCU's scope is a Celestron SCT or an ATM Dob. I was even going to pay in last year but was quietly informed not to bring my scope (twas an Orion back then). This rule is probably in place because AI...I mean A&S are the Celestron Distributor and only want the public to see that brand. THe excuse given however is that its the attending Celestron Reps who provide the Celestron Prizes. While I very much beleive its the former rather than the later due to the AI chairman and A&S propreiter being one and the same, I wouldn't put it past Celestron themselves which kind of ties in with Franks post.
I think you hit the nail on the head with the former: if your company was sponsoring an organisation/event, I can't imagine you'd want the competition on your turf either

Out of interest, what scope do you have? I'm the proud owner of a nice 4" Bresser Messier myself! Got some great viewing done last weekend.

Quote:
Celestron Distributors the world over are the same with unfair practices. You see posts making the same complaints in Australias ICEINSPACE forums for instance. While they certainly can't stop one of their European dealers selling a Celestron scope to someone in Ireland under the letter of the law, they can quietly threaten the dealer that any sales to outside their homemarket will be frowned upon and those juicy wholesale discounts might start to disappear.
Hear, hear. While A+S and Celestron might have their own issues, I don't think it's fair that AI should suffer the brunt of all these bad vibes. They seem to be caught in the middle of another underlying issue with another organisation!

Clear skies, all!
lithiumoxide is offline  
20-08-2009, 00:50   #177
Orion
My karma just ran over your dogma
 
Orion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: /home/Orion
Posts: 9,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadouken!! View Post
Just don't ruin your night vision by watching the Fire juggler
Hehe - that's the first thing I thought when I saw the juggler.

As for being asked to volunteer the scope - why would you? He is charging people in to use your scope and other people's who volunteer theirs. If you want to volunteer your scope bring it to a real club event such as the Cosmos in Tullamore or other club events where people can have a look through it for nothing - that's volunteering. If he truly wanted to promote astronomy he'd allow anyone in with their scope free - not just Celestron ones. But he's not - he's running a business and this Star-B-Q is just part of the business. It's this nonsense about it being a club that pisses me off.
Orion is offline  
20-08-2009, 08:57   #178
Linguo
Registered User
 
Linguo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumoxide View Post
Incorrect on both counts. Money is spent on advertising, and staff are paid for after-work activities.

As with any company or organisation, press notices are regularly used to disseminate information to the media, as I'm sure you know.
I worked there and I did the after work activities. Things may have changed now but I don't think so! If things have changed now great for staff.......

Last edited by Linguo; 20-08-2009 at 09:36.
Linguo is offline  
20-08-2009, 09:38   #179
Linguo
Registered User
 
Linguo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,135
[QUOTE=lithiumoxide;61699945]Hear, hear. While A+S and Celestron might have their own issues, I don't think it's fair that AI should suffer the brunt of all these bad vibes. They seem to be caught in the middle of another underlying issue with another organisation!/QUOTE]

My problem is with how AI go about things as much as the shop because it's all under the one rule and that rule is the whole problem
Linguo is offline  
20-08-2009, 11:19   #180
Hadouken!!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumoxide View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head with the former: if your company was sponsoring an organisation/event, I can't imagine you'd want the competition on your turf either
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumoxide View Post
Hear, hear. While A+S and Celestron might have their own issues, I don't think it's fair that AI should suffer the brunt of all these bad vibes. They seem to be caught in the middle of another underlying issue with another organisation!
Ok, on the one hand you are saying you don’t want the competition on your turf... fair enough I suppose.

But then you are saying if A&S and Celestron have issues that it’s unfair AI should get the slack and be stuck in the middle??

Dude... contradiction FAIL!

It’s not unfair in the slightest because AI is A&S!

If Astronomy Ireland is an independent club as we keep hearing, then it wouldn’t matter what brand of scope was brought along to events. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but Star-B-Q is an event organised by AI right? Not A&S! So it should have absolutely nothing to do with A&S’s links to Celestron. A&S should have sweet fook all to do with it. But we all know that they do.

The Astronomy Ireland “club” can’t wipe it’s own a$$ without little brother A&S standing there in the background dangling its Celestron brand toilet paper. This is the very reason AI will never be viewed as an astronomy club by the educated astronomy community in Ireland.
The above is FACT. And it will remain a fact until the day that Astronomy & Space starts trading under it’s own name and cuts all ties with AI (Also known as the day Hell freezes over!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by lithiumoxide View Post
Incorrect... staff are paid for after-work activities.
I never received a cent for any work I did outside office hours. Delighted for you’s if that’s changed though Maybe I should send in an invoice for the money I'm owed so


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macros42 View Post
Hehe - that's the first thing I thought when I saw the juggler.
What a great way to educated the public "What's that? You can't see the planet very well?? No need to let your eyes adjust to the dark... just use this burning stick to help light it up a bit more!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Macros42 View Post
If you want to volunteer your scope bring it to a real club event such as the Cosmos in Tullamore or other club events where people can have a look through it for nothing - that's volunteering. If he truly wanted to promote astronomy he'd allow anyone in with their scope free - not just Celestron ones. But he's not - he's running a business and this Star-B-Q is just part of the business. It's this nonsense about it being a club that pisses me off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguo View Post

My problem is with how AI go about things as much as the shop because it's all under the one rule and that rule is the whole problem
+1,000,000
Hadouken!! is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet