Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-08-2009, 15:47   #31
liam09

hi i am sorry about b4
Advertisement
06-09-2009, 20:28   #32
Eric Cantona

Hey everyone,

Great thread so far and fair play to everyone who had the courage to take up GAA again. I've been thinking about taking up hurling again for the past year or two. I'm 21 now, 6'5'' and with reasonable fitness but haven't played hurling with a team since under 10s/12s.

My technical skills would be very limited (to put it mildly) so I'd be too self-conscious to train with my local club right away. I'm starting back in UL tomorrow and I'm wondering if the club would welcome almost complete beginners. I'm more interested in taking part in a sport I feel I'd enjoy than challenging at the highest level. So I'd be more than happy with an occasional run out with a 3rd/4th team etc.

Is 21 a bit too late for starting or is it possible to get reasonably good with some hard work? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
08-09-2009, 00:04   #33
GAAman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cantona View Post
Hey everyone,

Great thread so far and fair play to everyone who had the courage to take up GAA again. I've been thinking about taking up hurling again for the past year or two. I'm 21 now, 6'5'' and with reasonable fitness but haven't played hurling with a team since under 10s/12s.

My technical skills would be very limited (to put it mildly) so I'd be too self-conscious to train with my local club right away. I'm starting back in UL tomorrow and I'm wondering if the club would welcome almost complete beginners. I'm more interested in taking part in a sport I feel I'd enjoy than challenging at the highest level. So I'd be more than happy with an occasional run out with a 3rd/4th team etc.

Is 21 a bit too late for starting or is it possible to get reasonably good with some hard work? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
If you are in university i am sure they would be glad to have you they will have lads from all walks from class players to lads who couldnt puck out with a two mile wide hurl and you can build yourself up from there, then from there when you have more skill, fitness and confidence you can look at a club team

And askin if at 21 you are too old? I am sure there are lads on here and in the sports that would tell you to GTFO (in the nicest way possible of course )

Go for it man

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam09 View Post
hi i am sorry about b4
If you are being serious then fair balls, if not you will find the gaa forum is slim pickings for trolls
08-09-2009, 15:47   #34
Eric Cantona

Thanks GAAman. Hopefully I'll get started in the next week or two.
12-09-2009, 23:08   #35
patch652

Hi All,

Great thread. I'm 28 and I'm hoping to get back playing hurling after a serious absence (14 years!). I would be glad enough just to get involved in some training sessions to get my touch back and take it from there. I'm fairly sure I will be hopeless though. I'm living in the Harold's Cross area of Dublin. Any idea of who I could get in contact with for starters? Would love to join a club but I know I won't be able to contribute much to any of their teams. Cheers in advance for any info lads.
Advertisement
14-09-2009, 13:31   #36
Jugs82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugs82 View Post
I went back hurling this year after a 7 year absence - it was tough at the start as i wouldnt be hughely fit and my touch was gone buts its amazing how much you come on in the space of a month or two.
Played in my first ever county final on Saturday in Junior C - lost but am delighted that i made the decision to go back this year

I was nervous at the start of the year but honestly could not recommend going back enough to anybody thinking about it - looking forward to next year already
Thanks from:
15-09-2009, 19:24   #37
peewee18988

South Dub

Hey

does anyone know a club in South Dub or along the M50 that are lookin for football or hurling players? The lower the standard the better!
17-09-2009, 08:10   #38
GAAman

Quote:
Originally Posted by patch652 View Post
Hi All,

Great thread. I'm 28 and I'm hoping to get back playing hurling after a serious absence (14 years!). I would be glad enough just to get involved in some training sessions to get my touch back and take it from there. I'm fairly sure I will be hopeless though. I'm living in the Harold's Cross area of Dublin. Any idea of who I could get in contact with for starters? Would love to join a club but I know I won't be able to contribute much to any of their teams. Cheers in advance for any info lads.
Hi there, didnt see your post till today. I am from crumlin myself i know the crumlin and st james lads are always looking for people of all skill sets, crumlin operate out of pearse park and st james from the iveagh grounds on the crumlin road

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/

http://www.crumlingaa.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee18988 View Post
Hey

does anyone know a club in South Dub or along the M50 that are lookin for football or hurling players? The lower the standard the better!
Can you be a bit more specific in terms of area? Or you could look at my first post on this thread there is a folder called boards.zip, in that there is a folder for each county and there is a pretty full Dublin one
14-10-2009, 12:27   #39
GAAman

Thought it might be time for an update and can hardly ask people to post here if i dont do so myself can i!

So as some of you know i have a pretty bad injury in the form of my achilles tendon and have had LOTS of physio which did not help a bit. They referred me for an operation on it but the op was refused on the grounds it could do more harm then good (my point of "is that not the risks of ALL operations" fell on deaf ears)

I got so fed up i started back with my university team a few weeks ago and between that and personal gym time i am training nearly 5 days a week. I cant really sprint or run for long distances which as players know will hamper you alot (especially when you are a forward ) i have gotten stick from the lads on the team with one in particular however he was lost for words when i scored 2-1 in quick succession the other day durin a practice match

I have started seeing a neuromuscular therapist and he hurts the blue hell outta you but says there is alot of hope for the leg, he has to break the fascia down off the bone and let it heal up properly again ( or something to that effect i was seein red at the time

So hopefully this guy (came highly recommended from a kickboxing champ friend of mine) can work his magic and get me runnin again

With all that outta the way how are the rest of you lads gettin on gettin back into the game?
Advertisement
14-10-2009, 16:45   #40
fitgir

Hey GAAman. Sorry to hear about your achilles, I had it for 8 years. It started when I was playing county football and then I had to stop that. Played club and it got gradually worse, until I had to give up the club.

I went to everyone including NMT therapists. Best way in my opinion to recover from this is yoga. I tried it for a while and it was the best way to recuperate as I believe flexibility has a major part to play.
I partially tore one achilles and had tendonitis on the other constantly. Had laser, got injections, orthotics, raises, scans, rolfing, bio energy, nmt, physio. You name I did it.

Yoga was the best for me, but I wasn't committed enough in the end to do both.

Best of luck with it.

I think your training isn't great in the gym. Should be more intervals. Could be wrong
Thanks from:
18-10-2009, 23:59   #41
econ09

Dublin Junior C Hurling

What sort of a standard is Junior C hurling in Dublin?

I'm 23, have never played too much before and ready to get into it, think I'd make an ok junior player with a good bit of training and match practice.
28-10-2009, 11:17   #42

Send a message via MSN to 09828
i love playing gaelic but im so unfit i cannot even run a lap without getting tired :(so im really bad
29-10-2009, 21:09   #43
Starie1975

Good tread this. I've not played for or first team in seven years. (I'm 33) I've played a few matches for the second team in that time but only played 15 minutes this. Didn't train all last year. I've trained the under 16's (two years running) ad last year was in charge of the minors.

For the last three weeks I'm back training on my own. I was 14 and1/2 stone and I should be 13. I've lost 5 pounds in the mean time. At my age it's now or never. I'm going to the gym which I hate but it's working. I'm cycling to work and I play soccer one night a week.

I'm looking forward for the training to start in February. Teach the young lads a thing or two.

Why the lay off? Too many good nights in Galway.
30-10-2009, 19:14   #44
jamesie_boy

I'm not well built enough to play.Haven't played since under 14 level and unless I get a serious weight lifting programme going,I don't think I could possibly compete at minor level.Fitness however aint a problem.I'm generally a speedy fcuker lol
03-11-2009, 15:38   #45
GAAman

Quote:
Originally Posted by econ09 View Post
What sort of a standard is Junior C hurling in Dublin?

I'm 23, have never played too much before and ready to get into it, think I'd make an ok junior player with a good bit of training and match practice.
As i have said before on this thread and will say again go for it man you have nothing to lose I couldnt tell you the standard for hurling i am a football man myself but i am sure some others here will be able to give you the info you are looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09828 View Post
i love playing gaelic but im so unfit i cannot even run a lap without getting tired :(so im really bad
Well you know the best way to sort that out dont you? If you join a team you will find your fitness improving greatly it certainly helps when there are others there as your natural competitive streak pushes you that extra mile and even if you run till you puke, wipe your mouth and run even more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starie1975 View Post
Good tread this. I've not played for or first team in seven years. (I'm 33) I've played a few matches for the second team in that time but only played 15 minutes this. Didn't train all last year. I've trained the under 16's (two years running) ad last year was in charge of the minors.

For the last three weeks I'm back training on my own. I was 14 and1/2 stone and I should be 13. I've lost 5 pounds in the mean time. At my age it's now or never. I'm going to the gym which I hate but it's working. I'm cycling to work and I play soccer one night a week.

I'm looking forward for the training to start in February. Teach the young lads a thing or two.

Why the lay off? Too many good nights in Galway.
Ha the downfall of many a great player make sure and let us know how you get on when you are back in the game in feb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesie_boy View Post
I'm not well built enough to play.Haven't played since under 14 level and unless I get a serious weight lifting programme going,I don't think I could possibly compete at minor level.Fitness however aint a problem.I'm generally a speedy fcuker lol
I will tell you words of wisdom that were passed to me years ago when i said the very same thing (i have bulked up since but back in the day i could nearly have stood side by side with a lamppost and been hidden but was fast as hell )

"It doesnt matter how hard you can throw a punch or shoulder, if the fella you are aiming at is faster then your hand is"
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion