Our Greater London Megathread - Page 2 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-03-2009, 19:36   #16
zAbbo

You can skip the Gatwick Express and just get a local train in, doesn't run as frequently and stops at 2-3 places but is nowhere near the price of the Express
Advertisement
18-03-2009, 17:21   #17
Beer Baron

Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Dont worry Countrygurl,

Not everybody likes replying to threads especially threads which repeat themselves over and over. Most dont mind answering questions as the search option can be a pain because although the words you use are specific it can bring up many strange results.

Im sure you have also heard of backseat modding. Moderators often close down threads and suggest you use a search option or link to the closest thread about the subject you ask about.

You were not ingorant in asking this question. Not everybody is boards.ie savvy or internet savvy.

Here is a little link that may have answered your question. Not really for you but just for the pedantic pats of this world.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Gatwick+or+Stan...h+is+Closer%3F
19-03-2009, 10:24   #18
Fratton Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAbbo View Post
You can skip the Gatwick Express and just get a local train in, doesn't run as frequently and stops at 2-3 places but is nowhere near the price of the Express
That's a very good point. The Waterloo train might take a bit longer, but I believe it is a lot cheaper. I quite often catch it from Clapham junction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAbbo View Post
I think it would, would be very handy as a resource.
That's what i was thinking. I don't mind answering threads, but if people can post tips etc then it would help everyone who does the journey a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_gurl View Post
actually gazza i did research and couldn't find a post to answer my question. sorry for my ignorance....
anyway it has now gone off topic, thanks again to everyone.
These sites may be useful in London.

www.nationalrail.co.uk gives you the times of all trains to Stansted and the local trains to Heathrow, Gatwick and luton Junction (For Luton airport).

www.tfl.gov.uk gives you all the info you will need regarding London transport, it includes Bus, Tram, Tube, DLR, ferry etc. and also gives fairs, ticket options etc etc.

I didn't mean to take the thread off topic, i didn't think the suggestion of a London Sticky would upset people
19-03-2009, 11:27   #19
gandalf

I now fly into London via London City Airport because you hop on the DLR and you're in the city centre in around 15 minutes and can get almost anywhere then on the Tube system. It also means I don't have to go near the hole that is Heathrow airport which I detest.
Thanks from:
19-03-2009, 12:08   #20
Fratton Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
I now fly into London via London City Airport because you hop on the DLR and you're in the city centre in around 15 minutes and can get almost anywhere then on the Tube system. It also means I don't have to go near the hole that is Heathrow airport which I detest.
Who do you fly with, Cityjet?

i would love to use LCY but i have always found it a very expensive option, especially when you have to do it everyweek.
Advertisement
19-03-2009, 17:12   #21
gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fratton Fred View Post
Who do you fly with, Cityjet?

i would love to use LCY but i have always found it a very expensive option, especially when you have to do it everyweek.
Cityjet are the only option in there now. BA have pulled out of the route. I head over to London at least once a year and at the weekends the prices aren't too bad. Especially as a day pass for the DLR and Tube is around £6.50
20-03-2009, 10:01   #22
mikedragon32
Closed Account

Greater London Megathread - for questions and answers - NO CHAT

Following suggestions in the London Airport thread, it was decided by Buffybot and I to give a London sticky a go.

In light of this, I've used that thread to kick off the sticky and removed all the posts discussing the merits of such a sticky. Sorry if that causes anyone any inconveniences.

Anyway, as the subject says, the thread is for Q&As for the Greater London area.

Last edited by mikedragon32; 20-03-2009 at 10:11.
Thanks from:
21-03-2009, 13:31   #23
ZOLTAN28

London - Self catering apartment

Hi

Hs anyone stayed in an apartment in London - was hoping to get over for a few days in the summer. As we are bringing three kids it gets quite expensive in hotels.

Have found a few online but they seemed to aimed at the business traveller (and priced accordingly) - would prefer if it was not too far out but as long as its hand for public trnsport and reasonably price dI'd be happy.

Thanks
25-03-2009, 17:00   #24
jdscrubs

London - where to stay,eat,go out,visit,etc

Going to London on the May Bank Holiday with 2 other people. Friday till Monday.

Looking for somewhere to stay that is near the city centre that isnt dear but is nice and will have a double&single bed.

If you can recommend hotels, it would be great?.

Also if you can recommend places to eat, visit, go out in, etc, that would be great as well.
Advertisement
28-03-2009, 16:10   #25
ZOLTAN28

Don't think this is the best place for my question above - think there has only been one reply in a week which was another unanswered question.
28-03-2009, 17:45   #26
OPENROAD

Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, excellent value right in the heart of Kensington, excellent Hotel restaurant and bar,great coffee houses close by, very close to Harrods, Kensington Gardens and direct tube line to Heathrow. Very very nice area imo.

First link is Hotel official site, second link is Holiday Inn UK where you can get better value rates with breakfast just type in London and when list of hotels come up click on Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, don't confuse with Holiday Inn Kensington which is a different hotel. Expect to pay approx £80-£110 depending on how busy hotel is, but even at £110 exceptioonal value imo.

On the minus side rooms are quite small but generally are in London anyway, perfect though for two adults, anymore than two I would say it is cramped.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/lonhi

http://www.holidayinn.co.uk/h/d/hi/925/en/home

Last edited by OPENROAD; 28-03-2009 at 17:49.
30-03-2009, 21:13   #27
Fratton Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOLTAN28 View Post
Don't think this is the best place for my question above - think there has only been one reply in a week which was another unanswered question.
As a thought, have you considered staying in Windsor?

There are two ways of getting into London from Windsor, via slough, or a direct train into Waterloo which takes 55 minutes. If you fly into Heathrow, there is a direct Bus to Windsor, the

The good thing about Windsor though, is that you have Legoland, which the kids will love and you also have the castle.

Windsor town itself (Which is built around the castle) is a nice place to loose yourself for a day, viewing the castle, a boat trip on the thames, a trip on the Royal Windsor Wheel, laugh at the Penguins at Eton School and then easy for a day trip into London.

Windsor has loads of very good restaurents and, if you are feeling rich, you can even grab a cab and go to a little known greasy spoon in Bray called the "Fat Duck", or watch a show at Windsor Theatre.
31-03-2009, 20:32   #28
ZOLTAN28

Cheers - I had considered Windsor for Legoland but I haven't really looked into it. Sounds like a nice place but I assumed it was expensive - I will look furhter into it.
31-03-2009, 20:35   #29
ZOLTAN28

Scrap that - prices for self catering are insane.
31-03-2009, 22:45   #30
Fratton Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOLTAN28 View Post
Scrap that - prices for self catering are insane.
Bummer. I know it can be expensive at times, but I thought it would be cheaper than London.

I'll have a dig around, see what I can find.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion