Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

12-03-2009, 00:20   #1
HighMan

Peugeot 407 particle filter

I have a 2004 Peugeot 407 1.6hdi. It needs a new particle filter and a fill of eloys fluid. Has anyone got this done? Just wondering what kind of cost is involved. I have heard that reconditioned versions of the filter are available. Is this true? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
12-03-2009, 02:52   #2
Johnnycabs

i hope you are ready for serious wallet damage. I own a 406 coupe Hdi, i was quoted 300+labour for a reconditioned filter. Expect 6-7 hours labour at €50 per hour. The fluid i have in my car is called cerene so it might be different to yours, but that costs about €35-40 a litre (5 litre tank).

Is your fluid empty? if so this is the reason for the filter blockage. You might want to try getting the fluid refilled before plumping for a filter change. Tell the garage you want them to put a thimble full of it neat into the tank to clear the filter. If after a few days its still erroring for blockage its screwed.

If you are handy you can clean the existing filter yourself (I did mine with a pal.) It took all day but saved me a bomb. Details on how to do it for my car are stickied on the forum at www.peugeot406coupe.com, you mgiht want to check that if no-one has done a 407 procedure.

if the filter is not erroring at all and this is some kind of 80k service or something, dont get it done, just run it to fail.
12-03-2009, 05:12   #3
HighMan

Thanks for the reply. I am getting three errors - "Depollution System Faulty", "Particle Filter regeneration cycle urgent" and "particle filter additive fluid level too low". Where did you get the quote for the recon filter? I was thinking of going north of the border for the parts and fluid. I use the car as a taxi and need to get all this sorted before the end of april.
12-03-2009, 06:23   #4
Johnnycabs

quote was from Conlons in Edenderry. You will defo get a better price up north. UK users of the 406 coupe forum have mentioned prices of £650 for parts and labour tho - this is not a cheap job.
Your errors are worded different to my old ones but the reason for them is that you have run out of fluid. The fluid lowers the burning temp of soot. This means that you're getting a buildup of soot in your filter(which happens normally), but when the car does its regen cycle its not burning off. If you are doing the job yourself, you just take off the old filter and powerwash it for 20-30 mins at a garage and pop it back on. The reason the job takes ages is drilling out worn bolts etc while underneath the car, plus the fact you have to dry the filter off in the hot press to be certain you dont blow the sensor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwOvh...ext=1&index=44
12-03-2009, 19:21   #5
Row

Peugeot will charge you around 800-850 to replace the filter with a new one, top up the eolys tank and reset the system.....
I guess you have around 100k covered on your 407...??
Is it a 1.6 or 20 hdi??
Row
Advertisement
12-03-2009, 20:40   #6
HighMan

Rang Peugeot in Newry. I can get recon particle filter, additive fluid and a wishbone all for €760. I dont think I could beat that anywhere else. Row I have 122k miles on 1.6hdi.
12-03-2009, 20:47   #7
TURRICAN
Closed Account

thats serious stuff.
for a particle filter ,im guessing its under the dash or somthing thats the big labour cost.
id try do it myself justr take my time doin it .
12-03-2009, 21:34   #8
Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMan View Post
Rang Peugeot in Newry. I can get recon particle filter, additive fluid and a wishbone all for €760. I dont think I could beat that anywhere else. Row I have 122k miles on 1.6hdi.
Is it the wishbone bushing thats worn..normally its the lower balljoint
that gives trouble...
€760 sounds good for the dpf...
12-03-2009, 21:36   #9
Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURRICAN View Post
thats serious stuff.
for a particle filter ,im guessing its under the dash or somthing thats the big labour cost.
id try do it myself justr take my time doin it .
This is the base of the dpf on the 1.6 hdi's...

Advertisement
12-03-2009, 21:54   #10
DubDani

Not sure who you called in Newry, but it wasn't a Peugeot Dealer. The peugeot Dealer in Newry (Edward McAlinden) closed a few months ago.

Might habe been the Peugeot Dealer in Armagh who have taken on their customer base.
13-03-2009, 01:56   #11
HighMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubDani View Post
Not sure who you called in Newry, but it wasn't a Peugeot Dealer. The peugeot Dealer in Newry (Edward McAlinden) closed a few months ago.

Might habe been the Peugeot Dealer in Armagh who have taken on their customer base.
I did a search for Peugeot Newry on Google and I got the number for McAlinden. Rang the number and was answered. Wasn't aware they closed. Must be as you said. Must ring in the morning and find out. I just assumed it was Peugeot in Newry I was talking to. Row, it is definitely the wishbone bush.
21-04-2009, 11:53   #12
406C

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighMan View Post
Rang Peugeot in Newry. I can get recon particle filter, additive fluid and a wishbone all for €760. I dont think I could beat that anywhere else.
without a doubt you can by printing off the article from the 406 coupe owners club on how to clean it, getting a local mechanic to take it off, power washing it down the local car wash for 30 - 40 mins then getting the mechanic to put it back on - hey presto clean FAP

If your car has had its filter cleaned/replaced, cerene filled and faults registered on the ECU cleared, and you keep getting FAP/Engine Management alerts and even limp mode kicking in, ask the garage to check the turbo flap, vacuum reservoir, pressure sensor, fuel cap sensor, EGR diaphragm/ vacuum and throttle valve vacuum, as they all have the same diagnostic destination.
26-01-2010, 01:12   #13
dikiedavis

sorry to ask but could you tell me where the eloys tank is located in the 407.and is it possible to remove the particle filter,clean it out with a power washer or are the threads im reading inncorrect?have this problem now for a while and havent the bills to pay for it to be done,no major loss of performance to the car but nct is due so need to get a finger out,any help i would be grateful thanks
26-01-2010, 01:36   #14
Fanthomas

220 euro in Poland plus about 20 for posting http://www.allegro.pl/item869092572_...c5_1_6hdi.html If you need any help with translation or something else give me a show...I am polish

Last edited by Fanthomas; 26-01-2010 at 01:46.
Thanks from:
26-01-2010, 10:02   #15
Row

Great link Fanthomas......are these reconditioned or new dpf's...??

The eloys tanks is located beside the diesel tank rear left wheel its covered by a aluminium cover.
It will cost around €110 for 3 litres of eloys (dealers) but you will need to get the counters/system reset by planet or an equivalent diagnostic equipment.
Really the dpf would want to be checked with live data to see if it is getting blocked by checking the differential pressure and filter load.
Theres some info on here...
www.407owners.com/forums
Heres a pic of the eloys been topped up.
Thread Closed