Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-02-2013, 19:46   #4771
guil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe10000 View Post
I have a 4s that I have jail broken and I am now trying to unlock it. I went through the SAM/iClarified procedure but I discovered after trying it a few times that Apple have now blocked this method.

I have been onto Vodafone 10 times to try to get it unlocked but i may as well be shouting into a hole in the ground.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an unlock procedure ?

Thanks
It's not possible to software unlock it, you can buy a gevey sim but that is dependant on the baseband or else get a shop to unlock it but expect to pay between €50 and €120
Advertisement
28-02-2013, 19:56   #4772
Joe10000

Quote:
Originally Posted by guil View Post
It's not possible to software unlock it, you can buy a gevey sim but that is dependant on the baseband or else get a shop to unlock it but expect to pay between €50 and €120
ok thanks, back to vodafone so....
28-02-2013, 23:21   #4773
RATM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by naasrd View Post
I'm afraid it's not going to work here if it's blacklisted, only outside Britian and Ireland.
Are you certain of this ? A few people have told me different- said that there are online services that can get it factory re-set regardless of history. I came across one a few weeks ago and read reviews of it which backed up what they were saying. But stupid me forgot to bookmark it and now I can't find it again.

Even if it can't be done surely there is some way of changing the IMEI with some software and then beginning from scratch ?
01-03-2013, 02:13   #4774
paddy

It'll cost a few quid, but it looks like the phone can be unlocked from VF UK even though its barred.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PREMIUM-VODAF...item3f227f12b2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATM View Post
I'm looking for some advice as to how I am going to get my iPhone 4 back working again. It is a long story but please bear with me !

So I bought it 18 months ago, 2nd hand on Donedeal. It was jailbroken, Cydia installed and (AFAIK) on iOS4 or 4.1.

So before going on holidays I wanted to update the software to 6.0 so I could download a few apps that wouldn't download as they said they needed newer software. I went to iTunes and I backed the phone up (apps, music, contacts, etc) and then set the software update in motion.

When that was done the thing wouldn't work, keeps saying SIM card not recognised even though it is the same sim. So I bring it to a unlocking shop. He puts the IMEI into an engine and reveals it is locked to Vodafone UK. He says he can get it unlocked again for €40. Grand, paid him and waited a week. But then Vodafone UK come back and tell me that the phone has been blacklisted- basically it looks like I was sold a phone that was reported lost or stolen and hence Vodafone are refusing to issue unlock codes.

So then last Monday I went into another unlocking shop, Chinese run on Talbot St. He told me that I am in a spot of bother as it is now on 6.0 and as yet there is no jailbreak for this software. And he said it could be 6 months away or even further as Apple have gotten better and better at making difficult to hack codes.

He did give me one bit of hope. He said there are online services that can unlock it no matter what the history of the phone, blacklisted or not. However he said to be careful as there are scams out there.

So I guess what I am looking for is a service that can do this for me and that people here know not to be a scam. I know the phone is blacklisted but a quick google around reveals a good few services claiming to be able to do it. At this stage I just want my phone back working as this fecking Samsung I am using is driving me around the bend and it is been 2 months now of clunky text messaging and a touch screen that only works when it feels like it.

The other question I have is that if I get it back working again and then I go to iTunes and upload the back-up I have there will it block off on me again? i.e. should I just forget about all the apps, numbers, music as to upload them could likely put me back to square one again ?

Any help is much much appreciated.

edit- I should add that back in January I tried a few options listed here in the opening page, using Redsnow, etc. I had it tethered and followed all the instructions but it still didn't work for me. Maybe I did it wrong as I'm not the most technically minded but from what I remember error messages came up in Redsnow- it was like the software was saying to me 'sh1t even we can't fix this fecker!'.
Thanks from:
01-03-2013, 02:16   #4775
Student007
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dunne View Post
No doubt there will be numerous threads on this subject, so I thought I would pre-empt them and create a sticky.

Can I buy a phone in the US and use it over here?

Yes, but it must be the GSM/AT&T model, purchased SIM-free directly from Apple. Handsets purchased from Verizon will not work with the GSM carriers here as they do not take a SIM card. Handsets purchased from AT&T usually come with a minimum-term contract and are locked to the AT&T network.

Can I use my Vodafone/Meteor/Three/Other SIM in an iPhone purchased from a mobile carrier?

No. Not until you Jailbreak it and Unlock it, or have your carrier Unlock it.

It is important to note that some Irish carriers are now unlocking iPhones officially - please consult your carrier for more info.

I purchased my iPhone directly from Apple. Is it unlocked?

Yes. iPhones purchased from Apple.ie or from Apple stores are factory unlocked.

Jailbreak? Unlock? Sounds scary.

They are not really. iClarified have a jailbreak wizard to show you step-by-step how to jailbreak any device here.

What's the difference between Jailbreaking an iPhone and unlocking it?

Jailbreaking allows you to install non-App Store programs. Unlocking it allows you to use the iPhone on any GSM network.

Can't I just buy an unlocked phone?

You can, but only directly from Apple or authorised Apple retailers (or on adverts.ie / eBay). It is simply a matter of walking into a phone shop and purchasing one, bringing it home, and popping in your SIM card. You cannot purchased unlocked iPhones in the USA, as they are locked to AT&T.

How do I jailbreak / unlock my iPhone?

If your carrier will not unlock your phone officially, then you will need to jailbreak & unlock.

See the unlocking wizard on iClarified here.

At the time of this writing, all iOS devices & every iOS can be jailbroken. However, newer devices and iOS's require a "tethered" jailbreak.

Tethered - If your device is ever powered off, you will need to connect it to a computer and run redsn0w to turn it back on.

iOS 3.1.2 - 4.0.1
Untethered

Every device on iOS versions 3.1.2 - 4.0.1 can be jailbroken by visiting http://www.jailbreakme.com in safari on their iDevice.
iOS 4.0.2 - 4.1
Untethered

Every device on iOS versions 4.0.2 - 4.1 can be jailbroken with redsn0w.
iOS 4.2 (4.2.1)
Some tethered, some untethered.

Every device on iOS 4.2 (4.2.1) can be jailbroken with redsn0w.

However, the following devices require a tethered jailbreak on this iOS:
iPhone 3GS New Bootrom
iPhone 4
iPod touch 2nd Gen New Bootrom
iPod touch 3rd & 4th Gen
iPad

All others have an untethered jailbreak.
redsn0w - Windows
redsn0w - OSX

Unlock
Currently, the following basebands can be unlocked:
01.59.00 (iPhone 4)
04.26.08 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
05.11.07 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
05.12.01 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
05.13.04 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
06.15.00 (iPhone 3G/3GS)
If you are on a qualifying baseband, simply run cydia on your jailbroken iPhone and install "ultrasn0w".
There is a new jailbreak out for ios6 for all apple devices
Advertisement
01-03-2013, 05:37   #4776
guil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student007 View Post

There is a new jailbreak out for ios6 for all apple devices
The op hasn't being update in about 2 years and the jailbreak is out about 2 weeks now
01-03-2013, 14:13   #4777
RATM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
It'll cost a few quid, but it looks like the phone can be unlocked from VF UK even though its barred.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/PREMIUM-VODAF...item3f227f12b2
Thanks for that Paddy, that's exactly the type of service I am after, otherwise I might as well just throw the phone out. Not cheap at £75 but they have a money back guarantee if it doesn't unlock and I'll be using Paypal as extra security.

Thanks again
01-03-2013, 15:06   #4778
sandt

Hi guys,

Can an iphone 3gs on FW 6.1.2 and modem FW 05.16.08 be unlocked?

For free if possible???
02-03-2013, 11:12   #4779
T-K-O

IPad2 Jailbreak.

Hi,

If I jailbreak my ipad 2 can I access the device on my home network?

Basically Im trying to copy some file from the mac to the ipad and I dont want the hassle of itunes
Advertisement
05-03-2013, 18:15   #4780
Nickyg09p

Bridge cydia tweak.

Hey,
I downloaded songs and put them into my library through bridge, now I want to upgrade to 6.1.2 will all my songs I transferred be deleted or will they be ok
05-03-2013, 18:17   #4781
yoyo

Moved from Comp & tech.
06-03-2013, 16:59   #4782
Soarer

Can somebody point me to the old .ipa for SkyGo (maybe via PM)? Have found one or two versions, but they look for Installous to install.

Danke.
07-03-2013, 02:30   #4783
_Whimsical_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickyg09p View Post
Hey,
I downloaded songs and put them into my library through bridge, now I want to upgrade to 6.1.2 will all my songs I transferred be deleted or will they be ok
If my experience is anything to go by they'll be deleted. Best option is download ifunbox and use it to retrieve your songs before you update. You can retrieve them from the music library or from their download location within the device.
08-03-2013, 01:28   #4784
Rascasse

The misses is looking to upgrade from iPhone 4 to 5. The current phone is unlocked and is used a few times a year in the US with T-Mobile. It works fine over there except that it is limited to 2g data. Before she upgrades I have two questions (as I can't seem to find a definitive answer online).

1. Will the iPhone 5 be able to be network unlocked by jailbreaking? If so, how? The 4 was unlocked by the network but they won't unlock the new one for 6 months but it will need to be used with the T-Mobile sim next month. I understand the next version of ios (6.1.3) will block jailbreaking (for now) but can 6.1.2 (assuming that's what it'll ship with) be jailbroken and network unlocked?

2. Assuming it can be unlocked, will it be able to use 3g data on T-Mobile or will it still be limited to 2g? Reading online it seems that it (the GSM A1429 model) will work on "refarmed" T-Mobile areas, but I'm hoping someone here will know for sure.

Last edited by Rascasse; 08-03-2013 at 01:31.
08-03-2013, 06:22   #4785
guil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
The misses is looking to upgrade from iPhone 4 to 5. The current phone is unlocked and is used a few times a year in the US with T-Mobile. It works fine over there except that it is limited to 2g data. Before she upgrades I have two questions (as I can't seem to find a definitive answer online).

1. Will the iPhone 5 be able to be network unlocked by jailbreaking? If so, how? The 4 was unlocked by the network but they won't unlock the new one for 6 months but it will need to be used with the T-Mobile sim next month. I understand the next version of ios (6.1.3) will block jailbreaking (for now) but can 6.1.2 (assuming that's what it'll ship with) be jailbroken and network unlocked?

2. Assuming it can be unlocked, will it be able to use 3g data on T-Mobile or will it still be limited to 2g? Reading online it seems that it (the GSM A1429 model) will work on "refarmed" T-Mobile areas, but I'm hoping someone here will know for sure.
IMO there is no hope of the 5 ever being software unlocked. That can't even unlock iPhone 4 on any baseband newer than the one that came with iOS 4. 01.59.00
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion