Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-03-2009, 00:26   #61
tommmy1979
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceonetom View Post
Ah, but you've never actually tried one, have you? So, it would be fair to say that you don't actually know what you're talking about. It's all hypthetical isn't it? Your dislike? How many people in cars have a similarly dismissive opinion of, um, ooh i dunno, cycling perhaps?
Maybe he hasn't tried one but i have and i think fixies are rubbish too..

Fixies = fashion statement

T
Advertisement
05-03-2009, 10:40   #62
blorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommmy1979 View Post

Also much lower maintenance in the winter and goes better when covered in muck... Helps develop a smooth pedalling technique and a wide cadence range which transfers directly to cycling a geared bike... Forces you to power up hills. Better traction control on slippery surfaces (ice/snow) too. Perfect chainline in every gear on the bike And a lot of fun.

I can assure you I am very far away from fashion statement with my fixies (I have at least taken the rack of the Bowery since I got the Tricross):

05-03-2009, 12:01   #63
Pjordanoz

But surely the point being missed is most things are fashion statements. Why not? If you could have a nice looking shiney bike or a crappy rusty peice of crap, which one would you have? I need to wear shoes, but I'd at least try to wear fashionable ones, same goes for a bike surely?
05-03-2009, 12:22   #64
Vélo

What's the story with the 2 balloons, I can only presume you're smuggling drugs into the country. It must have been hell crapping them out
05-03-2009, 12:22   #65
niceonetom

I love banoffee, and I don't love chocolate cake*.

Chocolate cake = fashion statement.

*I'd like to emphasise here that I do actually enjoy chocolate cake, I'm simply attempting to illustrate the idiocy of using one's own personal preference to tar all those who have a different personal preference with the same brush. Any and all offers of chocolate cake (or indeed banoffee) will be gratefully accepted.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-03-2009, 12:31   #66
Vélo

The jury's out with me when it comes to Fixed or Freewheel*

I only once put it on fixed on my commute and on the way home got a puncture. When I fixed the puncture I put it back on freewheel by accident and have been too lazy to change it. I didn't notice much of a difference apart from having to concentrate more and I did cycle in a bit quicker that day. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my commute is a flat 20km spin.

I suppose I'll have to turn the wheel around and give it another go.

*Freewheel being the proper description...according to me anyway.
05-03-2009, 12:32   #67
Raam

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceonetom View Post
I'd like to emphasise here that I do actually enjoy chocolate cake, I'm simply attempting to illustrate the idiocy of using one's own personal preference to tar all those who have a different personal preference with the same brush. Any and all offers of chocolate cake (or indeed banoffee) will be gratefully accepted.
I once attempted to make a chocolate mousse cake. I followed the recepie, but it ended up looking like fresh cow-pat. It tasted great though. If an analogy is to be drawn, and I feel one should be, I would liken it to a fixie/roadie which has been dressed down to avoid the attention of thieves. In fact, it kept LDB away from it so I was able to eat the whole thing myself.
05-03-2009, 12:34   #68
Vélo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raam View Post
I once attempted to make a chocolate mousse cake. I followed the recepie, but it ended up looking like fresh cow-pat. It tasted great though. If an analogy is to be drawn, and I feel one should be, I would liken it to a fixie/roadie which has been dressed down to avoid the attention of thieves. In fact, it kept LDB away from it so I was able to eat the whole thing myself.

You'd better watch out you don't put on too much weight before the ww200!
05-03-2009, 13:15   #69
Halfrauds

ah now you have to admit there are alot more freds on Singlespeed and fixie than, people who have a genuine like for them.

nothing wrong with wanting to be fashionable if it makes you happy but i think ALOT of the riders are style over fuction.

I can see theives targeting them, when things become popular they get robbed

each to there own but i think when i said fashion statement its abit of a loose term.

maybe "most people on singlespeed are posers"

from the ground up how much does it cost to build a proper one??, horizontal dropouts, decent wheels, chainset.?? i must say id love to build one for the craic so i can cycle one for more than 5mins and see what the big deal is. If i dont like it there seems to be a decent market to shift it on either complete or in parts.

to the lads who posted pics of their bikes, with regards to calling it a fashion statement, im more pointing towards the lads on SS with their adonised frames in really bright colours, cards stuck into the spokes, cycling around in fashionable, but the most unsuitable cycling clothing ive ever seen. You lot are more of the minority genuine bunch!

Last edited by Halfrauds; 05-03-2009 at 13:18.
Advertisement
05-03-2009, 13:19   #70
Thomas_S_Hunterson
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfrauds View Post
ah now you have to admit there are alot more freds on Singlespeed and fixie than, people who have a genuine like for them.
Does the definition of a fred actually change by the day and person or am I way behind the times?

What do you mean by a genuine like for them? As in appreciating their aesthetic? Or can a genuine likeness only be founded on strictly functional reasons.
05-03-2009, 13:30   #71
Halfrauds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_K View Post
Does the definition of a fred actually change by the day and person or am I way behind the times?

What do you mean by a genuine like for them? As in appreciating their aesthetic? Or can a genuine likeness only be founded on strictly functional reasons.
no you can like it for whatever reason, if it makes you horny happy days but IMO a genuine likeness is for the function.

well to be a fred is a poser who has all the gear but not the knowledge.

dunno your defintion, maybe hes your postman
05-03-2009, 13:50   #72
Thomas_S_Hunterson
Closed Account

Well to me this sums it up pretty well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_(bicycling)
Thanks from:
05-03-2009, 14:11   #73
Vitamin C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommmy1979 View Post

T
I think you can tell by the bike itself if it's a fashion statement or not. Things like the spongey thing on the top bar etc. To say that all fixie riders are doing so as a statement is retarded.
05-03-2009, 14:33   #74
Pjordanoz

The spongey thing on the top bar also stops it getting scratched when you lock the bike up 100 times per day. Also stops you mashing your knee on cable routings assuming you're not riding a track bike. Not always a fashion statement, but yea I reckon they look good too. Best of both worlds
05-03-2009, 14:35   #75
Oscar Gateaux
Clondalkin's Finest

Mod: Cycling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjordanoz View Post
Also stops you mashing your knee on cable routings assuming you're not riding a track bike.
Because that's always happening to people.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion