Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
18-02-2009, 14:18   #1
gshaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
Problem with gearbox of Mercedes A-Class

My mum drives a 00 automatic A-Class and the gearbox was making a grinding noise when she changed it so I brought it to the local garage. They advised me that the gearbox is shot and will have to be replaced - cost will be about two and a half thousand to do this. The car is nine years old but it only has 39,000 miles on it. The specialist that I had to call about getting a new gearbox told me that this is a common problem with these type of cars. Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems with their A-Class gearbox. I just think its insane that a gearbox should give out after only 39,000 miles and the cost to fix it is the same as the value of the car. Appreciate any information anyone might have on this - am also writing to the CEO of Mercedes-Benz in Europe to ask him does he have any explanation for such a serious and expensive problem in a car that has been in the family since its manufacture that has very low mileage. Would appreciate any feedback on this issue.
gshaw is offline  
Advertisement
18-02-2009, 14:32   #2
Mr Benevolent
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 11,452
What about looking around for a reconditioned autobox?
Mr Benevolent is offline  
18-02-2009, 14:34   #3
gshaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
The garage are going to have a look around and see what they can do, i just think it's bad engineering that the gearbox should even need to be replaced.
gshaw is offline  
18-02-2009, 14:37   #4
Anan1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,162
Try changing the fluid and filter first.
Anan1 is offline  
18-02-2009, 14:40   #5
gshaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
They already tried that, the garage told me it's an unfortunate problem to have with the car as it will be expensive to repair but that's it's a common problem with the A-Class
gshaw is offline  
Advertisement
18-02-2009, 15:02   #6
Stevie Dakota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,783
Let us know what the CEO of Mercedes-Benz says! Seriously though, sounds like you have been unlucky but no manufacturer will step in after 9 years. I would advise getting a second opinion if possible, Conway Transmissions. 8 St Peter's, Walkinstown, Dublin 014502623 have a good reputation and do a lot of dealer work.

Not affiliated.
Stevie Dakota is offline  
18-02-2009, 15:21   #7
ronoc
Registered User
 
ronoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
Appreciate any information anyone might have on this - am also writing to the CEO of Mercedes-Benz in Europe to ask him does he have any explanation for such a serious and expensive problem in a car that has been in the family since its manufacture that has very low mileage. Would appreciate any feedback on this issue.
Maybe I'm being cynical but I don't think the CEO of Merc is going to bother replying to a letter about a gearbox in a car that is 9 years old and is the cheapest model they make.
ronoc is offline  
Thanks from:
18-02-2009, 15:24   #8
gshaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
Conway Transmissions is exactly who my local garage referred me to! Spoke to them this morning and the guy was great, took the chassis number of the car and is going to do his best to source something. Only problem will be getting it to him as parents live in Glenageary and no way the car is going to make it to Walkisntown with a broken gear box!! Will be interesting to see what the CEO has to say about this. Am just really disappointed that the brand Mercedes has such a good reputation which is why they bought the car in the first place only to have this happen.
gshaw is offline  
18-02-2009, 15:25   #9
EPM
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 13,144
Firstly, dont waste your time with that letter. He will never see it or give a toss for that matter

Try around for a reconditioned gearbox. It should cut the cost of the repair considerably.
EPM is offline  
Advertisement
18-02-2009, 15:26   #10
gshaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronoc View Post
Maybe I'm being cynical but I don't think the CEO of Merc is going to bother replying to a letter about a gearbox in a car that is 9 years old and is the cheapest model they make.
Don't expect to get a reply direct from the CEO but if you are going to manufacture a car and promote it as reliable then you have to stand over it and at least give an explanation when it has a serious defect as this one seems to have.
gshaw is offline  
18-02-2009, 15:29   #11
gshaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPM View Post
Firstly, dont waste your time with that letter. He will never see it or give a toss for that matter

Try around for a reconditioned gearbox. It should cut the cost of the repair considerably.
Don't think i'm wasting my time with the letter, it's not an abusive letter by any means. Just explains the problems we're having with the car and asks for feedback from them.
gshaw is offline  
18-02-2009, 15:41   #12
Stevie Dakota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
Conway Transmissions is exactly who my local garage referred me to! Spoke to them this morning and the guy was great, took the chassis number of the car and is going to do his best to source something. Only problem will be getting it to him as parents live in Glenageary and no way the car is going to make it to Walkisntown with a broken gear box!!
Join the AA, Hibernian Aviva is even cheaper, and call them in a few days. Then get it lifted to Conways. You'll enjoy the cover, post repair, which you may need.
Stevie Dakota is offline  
18-02-2009, 15:43   #13
gshaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11
Thanks - car is covered on a Hibernian Aviva policy so may have to call them in a few days when I hear back from Conways about the replacement gear box.
gshaw is offline  
18-02-2009, 16:05   #14
Stevie Dakota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,783
Good luck, hope it all works out. In the meantime check our some MB forums in the UK, there must be some advice if this is a known problem.
Stevie Dakota is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet