Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-04-2010, 21:47   #1321
Bob Z

Havent a clue where that is(inishowen direction?) but looks like a cool place.
Advertisement
19-04-2010, 21:52   #1322
homer simpson
Closed Account

Is it down carrickfinn direction?
19-04-2010, 22:43   #1323
Termonator

Not Carrickfinn but it is in the Rosses
20-04-2010, 15:00   #1324
Cul a cnoic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termonator View Post
Great picture. I believe I know where it is but was never at it. Will let it run.
20-04-2010, 18:38   #1325
josey_whale

Quote:
Your name give it away?

St Crone's church, Termon, Maghery? Location here. Great photo btw!
Advertisement
20-04-2010, 19:33   #1326
Termonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey_whale View Post
Your name give it away?

St Crone's church, Termon, Maghery? Location here. Great photo btw!
Thanks, yeah thats it spot on, thought the name would be a giveaway alright
21-04-2010, 20:58   #1327
Graces7

Quote:
Thanks, yeah thats it spot on, thought the name would be a giveaway alright

Where is it please? Want to visit..... Thank you! I "collect " old Churches and that one is new to me..

Any history on it also please?
22-04-2010, 12:10   #1328
James74

Quick question on thread etiquette. Do I have to indentify the previous photo before posting one of my own, or can I post a photo anytime?
22-04-2010, 12:14   #1329
homer simpson
Closed Account

Well at the start it was if you identified the location you chose the next one, but fire away cos its fairly quiet recently so any photos are welcome
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-04-2010, 12:20   #1330
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer_simpson View Post
Well at the start it was if you identified the location you chose the next one, but fire away cos its fairly quiet recently so any photos are welcome
Agreed.

Fire away
22-04-2010, 18:05   #1331
josey_whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Where is it please? Want to visit..... Thank you! I "collect " old Churches and that one is new to me..

Any history on it also please?
Graces7, I have a link to the location on my post. [osi maps]. In terms of history... Built by Saint Crone in the 7th century. Apparently she was a cousin of columbcille.

Here's what I found after a google search... http://burtonport.net/Page3.html

"Termon is a small townland about five miles from the town of Dungloe in the county of Donegal and holds within itself a lot of undiscovered history that may never in its entirety be revealed.The first definite evidence of any human occupation is during the seventh century when a woman by the name of "Crone" brought christianity to the area and built a church there,the ruins of which are still there to-day. She had her own remote off-shore island where she went to pray for long periods of time.She established a religous community and it prospered over the centuries.She later became known as "St Crone" for all her christian works and teachings.Photo above left the ruins of the old church.There are headstones there dating back to the beginning of the eighteenth century. There are other headstones that are scarcely visible with the inscriptions completely obliterated by the elements over the centuries."

There are several references to Saint Crone in the Dungloe area
eg Templecrone - the Parish of Dungloe

Perhaps Termonator has the scoop?
Thanks from:
22-04-2010, 18:48   #1332
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey_whale View Post
Graces7, I have a link to the location on my post. [osi maps]. In terms of history... Built by Saint Crone in the 7th century. Apparently she was a cousin of columbcille.

Here's what I found after a google search... http://burtonport.net/Page3.html

"Termon is a small townland about five miles from the town of Dungloe in the county of Donegal and holds within itself a lot of undiscovered history that may never in its entirety be revealed.The first definite evidence of any human occupation is during the seventh century when a woman by the name of "Crone" brought christianity to the area and built a church there,the ruins of which are still there to-day. She had her own remote off-shore island where she went to pray for long periods of time.She established a religous community and it prospered over the centuries.She later became known as "St Crone" for all her christian works and teachings.Photo above left the ruins of the old church.There are headstones there dating back to the beginning of the eighteenth century. There are other headstones that are scarcely visible with the inscriptions completely obliterated by the elements over the centuries."

There are several references to Saint Crone in the Dungloe area
eg Templecrone - the Parish of Dungloe

Perhaps Termonator has the scoop?
Thank you; that is as lovely as that beautiful photo.

So from Dungloe? Next time I get a chance for a day away....The Celts made many saints with just the same reasoning as this.
22-04-2010, 21:19   #1333
Termonator

A few more

Pretty much as per Josey's post. Built in the sixth century by St. Crone. It was taken over by the Church of Ireland at some stage also. Burials continued here inside the walls until the 60's or 70's. There is a trail to the site which takes in three holy wells which is known as the Turas.

From Dungloe take the Maghery road and onto Termon and just stop and ask for directions how to access it. You will also pass the Famine walls which are an interesting site up to 12 ft high.
(2) thanks from:
23-04-2010, 06:00   #1334
Graces7

Quote:
A few more

Oh they are beautiful.. THANK YOU...Will be over that way very soon I think. Am working on a booklet on Celtic and Monastic Donegal and this is totally perfect. Will be for sale soon.

I had no idea it was there; wonder how many more sites there are I have missed? Am planning ten cards with directions to each.

Pretty much as per Josey's post. Built in the sixth century by St. Crone. It was taken over by the Church of Ireland at some stage also. Burials continued here inside the walls until the 60's or 70's. There is a trail to the site which takes in three holy wells which is known as the Turas.

From Dungloe take the Maghery road and onto Termon and just stop and ask for directions how to access it. You will also pass the Famine walls which are an interesting site up to 12 ft high.

27-04-2010, 02:44   #1335
red herring

Beautiful pictures. They really capture the church ruins at their best, its hard to get a decent photo of them.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion