Google is just getting too intrusive for comfort: Power Meter Software. - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-02-2009, 19:38   #1
Run_to_da_hills
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,802
Google is just getting too intrusive for comfort: Power Meter Software.

Last week we had Google Latitude that could have the capabilities of giving your employer your where abouts on your mobile phone. Now we have a power meter software to reduce electricity use.

Users will be able to monitor the Power Meter through their computers and other web-enabled devices using a special widget embedded on their personalized Google homepage.

As you already know the authorities can look into your computer without a search warrant. (Seeking out terrorists ) . With this wonderful new service from Google they will now have a knowledge of all your appliances, if you are still using high energy incandescent light bulbs it will come up on your PC and doors could be kicked in.

Maybe in the future you could be your ESB Bill will be penalized according to the energy rating of your appliances.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sciencean...icity-use.html


Last edited by Run_to_da_hills; 10-02-2009 at 23:56.
Run_to_da_hills is offline  
Advertisement
10-02-2009, 19:42   #2
Owen
Registered User
 
Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,159
That's more of a conspiracy theory there RTDH rather than an actual digital rights argument, you're coming to some pretty ... interesting conclusions there.

This thread with that line of subject is probably much better off in Conspiracy Theories.
Owen is offline  
10-02-2009, 19:43   #3
spadder
Registered User
 
spadder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 979
I've just tilted my webcam away from the window 'cause my car tax is out of date
spadder is offline  
Thanks from:
10-02-2009, 19:53   #4
Run_to_da_hills
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned78 View Post
That's more of a conspiracy theory there RTDH rather than an actual digital rights argument, you're coming to some pretty ... interesting conclusions there.

This thread with that line of subject is probably much better off in Conspiracy Theories.
Not exactly, we have the frog in boiling water argument. If Google were to introduce this technology piece by piece people will not take too much notice. If they were to introduce it all in one lump people would freak out about their civil liberties.

It could eventually become manditory to have a metering system on your PC.
Run_to_da_hills is offline  
10-02-2009, 19:55   #5
Run_to_da_hills
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadder View Post
I've just tilted my webcam away from the window 'cause my car tax is out of date
You don't need to if have crossed the Westlink toll plaza. They already know.
Run_to_da_hills is offline  
Advertisement
10-02-2009, 19:56   #6
Rowley Birkin QC
Registered User
 
Rowley Birkin QC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,195
Can you answer this honestly for me please RTDH; Does all this stuff really bother you?
Rowley Birkin QC is offline  
10-02-2009, 19:57   #7
CiaranC
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 6,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev49 View Post
Can you answer this honestly for me please RTDH; Does all this stuff really bother you?
It bothers lots of people. Unfortunately, it doesnt bother the majority of people, so the incremental taking of privacy will continue.
CiaranC is offline  
10-02-2009, 20:00   #8
Run_to_da_hills
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev49 View Post
Can you answer this honestly for me please RTDH; Does all this stuff really bother you?
I am not so bothered about it now but I can forsee a potential for it to be used against us in ther future. One only has to look at these social sites like face book, Utube etc, already people age hanging themselve to the authorities by posting videos etc.
Run_to_da_hills is offline  
10-02-2009, 20:08   #9
Rowley Birkin QC
Registered User
 
Rowley Birkin QC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,195
I know it's the argument used most often but in all fairness if you aren't doing anything wrong what do you have to be worried about?
Rowley Birkin QC is offline  
Advertisement
10-02-2009, 20:13   #10
Owen
Registered User
 
Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run_to_da_hills View Post
If Google were to introduce this technology piece by piece people will not take too much notice. If they were to introduce it all in one lump people would freak out about their civil liberties.

It could eventually become manditory to have a metering system on your PC.
See, by highlighting certain words in your post, it's even apparent in your own post that you're pulling these conclusions out of nowhere. Please god take it to conspiracy theories for the love of all that is rational debate.
Owen is offline  
10-02-2009, 20:17   #11
Owen
Registered User
 
Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run_to_da_hills View Post
I can forsee a potential for it to be used against us in ther future. One only has to look at these social sites like face book, Utube etc, already people age hanging themselve to the authorities by posting videos etc.
Eh, right. There's a whole world of difference there mate, apples and oranges. The people 'hanging themselves' on youtube, etc, are generally posting vidoes of themselves doing rather illegal things.

What could possibly be the outcome of electricity monitoring, oh hey, this house is using 5 units more a minute ... what can we do ... increase the ESB bill really, that's about all. Which is exactly what we have at the moment.

The pros of this system are staggering, if rolled out, it will be possible to see trends in people's usage of electricity, and allow the grid to plan for it thereby making the most of the environmental procedures that they have. They will also be able to educate people as to their usage of electricity too.

The cons of this system is that lunatics will think it's Big Brother - that is all.
Owen is offline  
10-02-2009, 23:14   #12
Run_to_da_hills
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 19,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned78 View Post
Eh, right. There's a whole world of difference there mate, apples and oranges. The people 'hanging themselves' on youtube, etc, are generally posting vidoes of themselves doing rather illegal things.
People are getting sacked from their jobs from information posted on these social networking sites. Government agencies can also build up profiles of individuals and can use this information against them. We have heard of individuals arrested by the US authorities at immigration on information passed on from profiles built up from social sites. This will only get worse as more and more countries integrate with electronic border control. I can see it happening at our own doorstep with the roll out of electronic border control between the UK & Irelandl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ned78 View Post
What could possibly be the outcome of electricity monitoring, oh hey, this house is using 5 units more a minute ... what can we do ... increase the ESB bill really, that's about all. Which is exactly what we have at the moment.
"Carbon footprint" taxing is just one example of an intrusive tax. IE in order to monitor it effetely they must know quite a lot about you, IE your traveling habits, what you are buying, how you are using your energy etc. I already started a heated debate in the Green Issues forum which sums it up. "When Green issues turn to impose fascism it's time for us to put the foot down" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055482519


Quote:
Originally Posted by ned78 View Post
The pros of this system are staggering, if rolled out, it will be possible to see trends in people's usage of electricity, and allow the grid to plan for it thereby making the most of the environmental procedures that they have. They will also be able to educate people as to their usage of electricity too.

The cons of this system is that lunatics will think it's Big Brother - that is all.
The cons of the system is that by the time you realize that things are not just adding up it could be too late for you to do anything about it.

Last edited by Run_to_da_hills; 10-02-2009 at 23:17.
Run_to_da_hills is offline  
11-02-2009, 13:54   #13
Owen
Registered User
 
Owen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,159
You know, there's just no point in debating with you. You're making assumptions that just aren't true. *sigh*
Owen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet