Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-01-2009, 19:36   #1
techguy

Send a message via Skype™ to techguy
GTA IV PC Savegame location..

Hey,

I've just had to reinstall GTA and lost all my saves as a result..(Had to reinstall windows also).

In future where can I find my savegames to back them up?

I've tried looking in all the obvious places like my documents, gta install folder and games for windows..I didn't see anything that resembled a save folder.

Any ideas?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-01-2009, 12:58   #2
MOH

I had thought part of the whole "Games for Windows" thing meant there were standard folders things were supposed to go into, somewhere under My Documents.
When I couldn't find them there, I presumed since they were linked in with GFWL they were stored online somewhere. Have you tried logging in again with the same GFWL account?
Failing that, maybe they're somewhere under the GFWL folder?
20-01-2009, 14:52   #3
techguy

Send a message via Skype™ to techguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOH View Post
I had thought part of the whole "Games for Windows" thing meant there were standard folders things were supposed to go into, somewhere under My Documents.
When I couldn't find them there, I presumed since they were linked in with GFWL they were stored online somewhere. Have you tried logging in again with the same GFWL account?
I thaught the same but they're nowhere to be found..

I got them here:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

A few of the folders in there are even hidden..!
(2) thanks from:
21-01-2009, 12:24   #4
MOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy View Post
I thaught the same but they're nowhere to be found..

I got them here:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

A few of the folders in there are even hidden..!
Great, thanks. Just in time, since the game refuses to load for me now and I'm looking at a reinstall.
21-01-2009, 22:30   #5
MOH

Actually, on Vista it's

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames

(AppData is hidden)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-03-2009, 17:38   #6
oceanclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOH View Post
They're in the hidden "Local Settings" folder underneath "Documents and Settings\<username>".

I recently had to reinstall my machine, so took a backup of that folder. However, there's a step you have to perform. When you start a new game, it create a uniquely named folder - something like "user_982er2432". When you back up, then install again and start a new game, a new uniquely named folder is created. You need to copy your old saves from the original folder to the new one.

It's possible that you still have your original saves on the machine. If I get a chance later, I'll add more detail (the above is just based on memory).

P.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion