Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-01-2009, 13:28   #1
fguihen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
revenue.ie. claiming back rent tax credit

On the revenue.ie self serivce site i am entering details of my rent so i can get the tax relif.

on the site it asks the question:

Amount of Rent Payable in the tax year

I moved into my house in June 2008.

do i write the total rent i would pay over 12 months, the full tax year, or just the figure ive paid since june 2008?

note they also ask when i started tenancy of the house.
fguihen is offline  
Advertisement
15-01-2009, 13:35   #2
cronin_j
Registered User
 
cronin_j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,212
Send a message via MSN to cronin_j
Quote:
Originally Posted by fguihen View Post
On the revenue.ie self serivce site i am entering details of my rent so i can get the tax relif.

on the site it asks the question:

Amount of Rent Payable in the tax year

I moved into my house in June 2008.

do i write the total rent i would pay over 12 months, the full tax year, or just the figure ive paid since june 2008?

note they also ask when i started tenancy of the house.
On the form you should fill in from june 2008 to dec 2008 and your monthly rent.

Then for 2009 you get a new form and fill in this years one. I rang about this recently and thats what i was instructed to do
cronin_j is offline  
15-01-2009, 16:35   #3
The_Conductor
Dinosaur Train!
 
The_Conductor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Under a bridge
Posts: 18,443
The tax year and the calendar year are now synchronised.
Its the total amount you paid in the calendar year- irrespective of when you moved in- i.e. if you were there from June- its 7 months to the end of December- and its those 7 months that are counted- fullstop.

Ps- the rent relief is capped @ 330 Euro per annum (irrespective of how much rent you pay......)
The_Conductor is offline  
15-01-2009, 17:21   #4
fguihen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
cool, as it asked me for the date i moved into the property, and then the amount for the callendar year, i assumed it wanted to know what the yearly rent would come to, and it could calculate how much rent i paid. good thing i asked. thanks
fguihen is offline  
15-01-2009, 18:08   #5
_Nuno_
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cork
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarrick View Post
The tax year and the calendar year are now synchronised.
Its the total amount you paid in the calendar year- irrespective of when you moved in- i.e. if you were there from June- its 7 months to the end of December- and its those 7 months that are counted- fullstop.

Ps- the rent relief is capped @ 330 Euro per annum (irrespective of how much rent you pay......)
I got 340€ for 2007 and 400€ for 2008.
_Nuno_ is offline  
Advertisement
25-01-2009, 16:48   #6
sadista
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 308
hi just wondering does handing up some of your wages to parent every week entitle you to rent tax relief?
or do the parents have to be registered for the rent a room scheme for the claim to be eligible for tax relief?
sadista is offline  
25-01-2009, 18:46   #7
BOHSBOHS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 509
sadista ... if its just you giving your parents a few bob for upkeep etc
no u cant claim the rent tax credit .....

if its specifically for rent u can ....as long as your parents are declaring rental income and paying tax on it .....which i will guess in this case they are not ....
(note :they would not be entitled to rent a room scheme exemption)


smccarrick is correct in the application but not the amount (a rare error!! )
BOHSBOHS is offline  
25-01-2009, 19:12   #8
ixoy
Moderator
 
ixoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Clontarf
Posts: 13,506
Send a message via MSN to ixoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHSBOHS View Post
smccarrick is correct in the application but not the amount (a rare error!! )
I thought they dropped the amount you can claim for the '09 tax year? Back to about 330 as said.
ixoy is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet