Nissan Primera Timing Chain - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-01-2009, 18:51   #1
andrew1977

Nissan Primera Timing Chain

Hello Folks

Any advice or pointers please ?

I have a 2004 Nissan Primera , 63000 miles on the clock

Engine warning light came on, brought it to my local mechanic

He tells me i need a new timing chain and kit

Cost approx 600-700 euro including labour to do the job

He is going to get me a price from the Nissan Garage for the chain and kit .

Anyone know roughly the cost of the stuff needed and he said if i can get it up North cheaper to go and buy it and he will fit it no problem for me.

Anyone any thoughts or recommendations on the job or buying it up north ?

Thanks
Advertisement
13-01-2009, 19:00   #2
Plug

Prices are dear even in the UK they would cost over €200. You will also have to buy oil and a filter, lets say €40. There is quick a bit of work involved.
13-01-2009, 21:23   #3
andrew1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plug View Post
Prices are dear even in the UK they would cost over €200. You will also have to buy oil and a filter, lets say €40. There is quick a bit of work involved.
Thanks for the reply and information
13-01-2009, 21:27   #4
Eric Cartman

are you sure its the chain ? the chains dont tend to damage its the tensioners that go, id get a 2nd opinion on that
13-01-2009, 21:28   #5
bazz26

Is'nt a timing chain supposed to last the lifetime of the engine? Not sure what Nissan's warranty is on their timing chains but I'd be making enquires from them as to why it needs replacing after only 63k miles.
Advertisement
13-01-2009, 21:33   #6
andrew1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
are you sure its the chain ? the chains dont tend to damage its the tensioners that go, id get a 2nd opinion on that
The mechanic told me the chain is stretched and needs to be replaced and the rest of the kit goes with it.

When the engine warning light came on , he diagnosed it on his machine as " crack shaft sensor " , he checked that, it was fine.
His mate works in the local nissan garage and told him common problem

I reckon my mechanic is playing fair with me, he has always been decent to me in the past.

Bite the bullet i suppose, just what i need in mid january , to shell out a fortune

Thanks
13-01-2009, 21:41   #7
Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz26 View Post
Is'nt a timing chain supposed to last the lifetime of the engine? Not sure what Nissan's warranty is on their timing chains but I'd be making enquires from them as to why it needs replacing after only 63k miles.
These are notorious for stretching, they are actually made by renualt the chains.
13-01-2009, 21:41   #8
Healyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew1977 View Post
The mechanic told me the chain is stretched and needs to be replaced and the rest of the kit goes with it.

When the engine warning light came on , he diagnosed it on his machine as " crack shaft sensor " , he checked that, it was fine.

I reckon my mechanic is playing fair with me, he has always been decent to me in the past.

Bite the bullet i suppose, just what i need in mid january , to shell out a fortune

Thanks
Its a common issue on the petrol almeras and primeras. There was a service bulletin (recall) on them but i dont know if it applys to your car. Ask your mechanic to ask them in the Nissan garage.

Its not too bad of a job and the parts i think come to around €150+vat which includes new chain, guides and tensioner. Then throw in whatever it costs to change an oil and filter

Hope this helps
13-01-2009, 21:42   #9
Healyc

Quote:
These are notorious for stretching, they are actually made by renualt the chains.
Dont mention the "R" word
Advertisement
13-01-2009, 21:43   #10
Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healyc View Post
Dont mention the "R" word
Recession!!!
13-01-2009, 22:24   #11
Eric Cartman

Quote:
explains it all
13-01-2009, 23:49   #12
lifer_sean

Quote:

Thanks
Very common problem on Micra / Almera / Primera. Chain stretches a little so that the signal from the camshaft sensor is a little out of time, and is flagged as a sensor fault, but as in your case the sensor itself would be fine. Check with Nissan what needs to be changed other than the chain - sometimes you need to change the guidesand tensioners, sometimes not. At least on the Primera and Almera they can be done with the engine in place - had to do one on a 03 newer shape Micra before Christmas and the engine had to come out, and to do that the front bumper, headlamps and front panel all have to come off. 2 days work.
14-01-2009, 09:10   #13
andrew1977

Thanks a lot guys for all the opinions, appreciated
14-01-2009, 10:21   #14
Darragh29

Quote:
Hello Folks

Any advice or pointers please ?

I have a 2004 Nissan Primera , 63000 miles on the clock

Engine warning light came on, brought it to my local mechanic

He tells me i need a new timing chain and kit

Cost approx 600-700 euro including labour to do the job

He is going to get me a price from the Nissan Garage for the chain and kit .

Anyone know roughly the cost of the stuff needed and he said if i can get it up North cheaper to go and buy it and he will fit it no problem for me.

Anyone any thoughts or recommendations on the job or buying it up north ?

Thanks
What happens here OP is the tensioner wears down and the chain also wears, and the synchronization between the crankshaft and camshaft rotation becomes a little fuzzy due to slackness in the chain, which causes the camshaft position sensor to be very slightly delayed, and the ECU picks this up and turns the engine fault light on. Eventually you will find that the engine performance will reflect the less accurate timing of the engine as the tensioner & chain assembly wears down further and timing ultimately is thrown out of whack.
14-01-2009, 11:11   #15
andrew1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darragh29 View Post
What happens here OP is the tensioner wears down and the chain also wears, and the synchronization between the crankshaft and camshaft rotation becomes a little fuzzy due to slackness in the chain, which causes the camshaft position sensor to be very slightly delayed, and the ECU picks this up and turns the engine fault light on. Eventually you will find that the engine performance will reflect the less accurate timing of the engine as the tensioner & chain assembly wears down further and timing ultimately is thrown out of whack.

Good info there, thank you .. and the price i am being quoted seems fair in your opinion ?
Thread Closed