France in Motorhome - where to start - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-01-2009, 23:32   #1
deadl0ck

Send a message via ICQ to deadl0ck Send a message via MSN to deadl0ck
France in Motorhome - where to start

Hi all,
Myself and my wife are thinking of going to France this year in the MH.
We'd like good weather (20s) so I reckon we'd be talking May / June timeframe.
I'd like to try a few sites / places while we're there (for about 2 weeks), but my wife would like good facilities (like a pool) on the sites (or on some of them anyhow).
Is there a good guide / website that would be a good start point for us as we haven't a clue to where to start looking - I've googled it but I can't find a good overview type website.
Or any suggestions people have would be great.
Thanks !
Advertisement
12-01-2009, 00:36   #2
stapeler

The AlanRogers guide book is our "Bible" when travelling, available from Easons or any good bookshop.
May/June is early season so you'd have lots of choice in campsites. The Vendee region is usually a safe bet for weather, fantastic beeches and lots to see & do. Saint Hilaire de Riez and St Jean de Mont are two lovely places on the Vendee coast with lots of high quality campsites.
http://www.les-castels.com is a chain of sites which are mostly 4 star campsites spread throughout France. Highly recommended.
Do a search through this forum and you'll find quiet a few more recommendations.
Thanks from:
12-01-2009, 09:09   #3
peasant

silly question ...but if it's only the two of you, why limit yourselves to restrictive and expensive campsites?

France is peppered with "aires de service", designated motorhome overnight spots that allow you to explore the hinterland and all the nooks and crannies that make France what it is.
12-01-2009, 09:55   #4
deadl0ck

Thanks for the info stapeler.

I hear what you're saying peasant - I'd like to do a mix of both really, so we're just exploring our options.
12-01-2009, 10:06   #5
3ps

I regularly use the Alan Rogers website to find campsites but then book directly as it's cheaper.

If you want a nice place to stay that's not too far.... I head to Roscoff or Cherbourg and then stay at www.camping-les-embruns.com

5* site. Indoor pool and right beside the beach. Lots to see and do in Brittany too. Only 2 hours from Roscoff and 4 from Cherbourg.

Then if you have extra time you can head south towards the Vendee and St. Jean de Monts or Noirmoutier. If heading home by Cherbourg you can take in Mont St Michel.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-01-2009, 16:07   #6
wonderworm

At that time of the year you don't need to book anything. We always go in July/August and have never had a problem getting in to sites, admittedly, sites on the coast are busier but should be fine in May/June. Go to www.vicariousbooks.co.uk and buy the Caravan Clubs books on campsites in France, Spain and Portugal and go to www.alanrogers.com you can look at campsites by region and get an idea of their facilities. Anyway good luck and enjoy, I know we did when we were planning our first trip.
Thanks from:
14-01-2009, 11:32   #7
deadl0ck

Fantastic !
Thanks for all the info
16-01-2009, 13:29   #8
corklad1

sites

if your in the vendee region try le bois masson in st john de mont,has pool, shop, etc
Thanks from:
16-03-2009, 13:10   #9
atb

st john le mont

sebu was haven has a site there i was there last year loved it has pool bar entertainment and shop it is about 2km to village lovley for shopping ect and has a lidle store hope this helps
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-03-2009, 10:01   #10
camper guy

Send a message via MSN to camper guy
question

Hi all .

Do i have to travel for the sun in early june.

Wife doesnt want to travell far off the ferry
17-03-2009, 10:36   #11
aerosol

Hi camperguy, you've good chance of sun in Brittany and Vendee in early June,a great time to go cos its alot less busy
Thanks from:
17-03-2009, 23:09   #12
*Kol*

We went to Brittany in late May/early June and had bad luck with the weather while people we spoke to on the way back had great weather further south. Went a bit further last year around the same time and had great weather. 5 hour drive from the ferry wasn't too much of a strain.
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2009, 20:31   #13
yardeyar
Banned

HI WE'VE VISITED FRANCE MANY TIMES IN OUR MOTORHOME AND ITS VERY FRIENDLY, SOMEONE SAID ABOVE THERE ARE MANY "AIRES" TO PARK OVER NIGHT, THE NORTH OF FRANCE IS EXCELLENT FOR WORLD WAR ONE AND TWO PLACES OF INTERESTED, THE WEST COAST IS WONDERFUL DRIVING THROUGH LA ROCHELLE (EXCELLENT AQUAIUM), BORDEAUX AND SOUTH TO BIARRITZ (EXCELLENT AIRES ON COAST ROAD BESIDE BEACH), ALSO CENTRAL FRANCE THROUGH THE CHAMPAGNE REGION VISITING THE MOET FACTORY IS A MUST. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A SAFE TRIP. YEAH!
05-04-2009, 20:13   #14
Bessa

Hi all, does anyone know where we could get a list of the Aires in France. Has Spain got these Aires?. Thanks.
05-04-2009, 20:22   #15
yardeyar
Banned

Hello Bessa, we pick up our Aires guide in a book shop when we get of the ship, try this... http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modules.php?name=Aires
Good Luck! YEAH!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion