Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Tip wrote: »
    Just checking in on thread, I am coming up to my 2yr Anniversary. Oh Yes I do have one regret and that's why did'nt I do it years before, I've spent a fortune trying to save my teeth due to gum disease from smoking.

Nice to hear from you again. You were just about to leave the thread at the time I was coming on to it.
    No problem with the gums, but yellow teeth and no whitening can help. It sits to deep. No Hollywood smile there!:o
    They are whiter than they were before, but if I only had known, how my teeth will look after 35 years of smoking - I would have never started!
    Congrats on your 2 years!!!!! Love it!!!!!!!!!:D

susanweir wrote: »
    Hi Connewitz,

Have decided to tackle the weight I have gained since quitting. So, as well as not smoking, I can't eat or drink what I want anymore either. Life stinks! (but at least I don't!!!!):D

Thanks a lot for the compliments, but we all do deserve them! WE ARE A GREAT BUNCH!!!!!:D
    Here what I have done and still do to keep the weight at bay.
    Started on cross-trainer at home. From 20 min per day, 4 times a week to 50 min per day, 4 times a week.
    Got stronger and had more endurance. Started to swim in the local pool between the exercise on the cross-trainer. Was twice a week in the pool swimming for 1 hour. And I mean swimming, not paddling around!
    I lost 2 kilo! Changed my eating habit not so much, was a healthy eater before. For 3 months I counted my calorie intake, just to see, what I put into my mouth. Was time consuming, but at the end, I knew, what was my downfall (sweets!!!). I started eating sweets after quitting.
    You can find the calorie counter on the net. It is www.caloriecount.com (or so). You will find it!
    In October last year I had a stroke, so I had to go in a slower pace, but I did pick up myself and I am now back to my old form.
    I became a member of our Leisure Center. Go from Monday to Friday. I am unemployed, so I do have the time. (It sucks in some way!!!)
    From 11am -13am I am in the gym, then 20 min sauna and 30 min swimming. Keeps me healthy and fit. And I am not sitting at home, eat sweets and watch TV.
    I am sure, you will find something to get you on track. And if it is a daily walk. Do you have a dog? Mine keeps me active as well.
    What ever suits you - do it! You will only benefit from it! Good luck, Susan!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Susanweir! That is FANTASTIC news!! Great work!! You've turned your life around! Sorry to hear about the stroke but these intense work outs should have helped beat the after effects of the stroke.. Keep up the great work. Your another inspiration on this thread!!:D
    Tip, CONGRATULATIONS on your two years off the smokes!! We were on the thread around the same time. I'm now off of them for 2 1/2 years.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hellomynameis

1M 1W 2D 15h 2m :D, i came off the tabs a few days ago, i just couldnt handle the tiredness and since then my mood has been up and down, i really didnt think it was affecting me in that way until i came off them but hopefully everything will even out, i dont have any desire to smoke, had a very stressful situation last night and only realised this morning that i didnt even think of smoking during it :eek:. so far so good, positive attitude and all that lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I've had the weirdest couple of months ever after using Champix. I started taking them in March. Gave up smoking after day 11. Continued taking the tablets to day 26. I was fine while on them, the only side-effect I was getting was a sore tummy if I didnt take the tablets with food and lots of water.

Anyway, the fun really began when I stopped taking the tablets. About a week after, I started noticing I was getting up earlier and earlier each day. It was like I didn't need sleep. I began having some seriously mad thoughts and began losing my ability to focus on anything in work and at home. This got worse and worse and began worrying my wife. She rang the doctor who prescribed me the tablets and she told me to come in immediately.

I did and she explained they discovered Champix by accident when they were treating depressed people with a new type of anti-depressant. Champix is effectively an anti-depressant so it lifts you. This is all well and good if you're depressed but if you're not, and are at an even level, Champix can lift you (away with the fairies as my wife says).

The doctor prescribed me another drug she said would even me out and help me sleep better. These pills really sorted me out. I'm back sleeping normally and feeling great. I'll be taking the last one tonight after a 10 day course.

So a warning to all. Make sure you get a loved one to keep a close eye on you as the side-effects of the tablets seem to be wildly different from person to person. They can also manifest themselves well after you've stopped taking the tablets.

I'm glad to report that I'm still off the smokes after 2 months. Delighted with that.

• Advertisement

Clanket wrote: »
    So a warning to all. Make sure you get a loved one to keep a close eye on you as the side-effects of the tablets seem to be wildly different from person to person. They can also manifest themselves well after you've stopped taking the tablets.

I'm glad to report that I'm still off the smokes after 2 months. Delighted with that.

Thanks for your post! I do think, that it is really important to hear different stories. The side affects differ a lot from person to person. My partner kept an eye on me as well. I did had not bad side effects, but he was worried about my sleeping pattern as well.
    It is good, if you have someone who is monitoring you during the process.
    Keep it up and thanks again for your honesty.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 7dmcm

12 weeks & 4 days off them.Still Smiling !!:)

7dmcm wrote: »
    12 weeks & 4 days off them.Still Smiling !!:)

Congrats 7dmcm! You done very well!:) The first 3 months are the hardest. Now that you took this hurdle, you are good to go on!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Hi Everybody,
    Have been busy ,children and dogs and school and a lot more, but still hanging on in there coming up to the 2 year mark shortly (12 more weeks) Cant believe how easy it is now to be without a cigarette now:), but looking back on my old posts it was tough :eek: so keep it up everybody and you will prevail.

terenc wrote: »
    Hi Everybody,
    Have been busy ,children and dogs and school and a lot more, but still hanging on in there coming up to the 2 year mark shortly (12 more weeks) Cant believe how easy it is now to be without a cigarette now:), but looking back on my old posts it was tough :eek: so keep it up everybody and you will prevail.

Congrats and I do hope, you will celebrate! I had a glass of wine (or two) on my first anniversary. It is sooo good without them stinkers!!!!:D

• Advertisement

Thanks connewitz,
    Meeting my doctor about my stomach tomorrow no doubt he will show me more photos and frighten the crap out of me again .http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=barrett%27s+disease+photos&rd=r3. not my photos but very similar :eek: and smoking being one of the principal causes of the decease. Pity I didn't see pictures like that before I started smoking but then again I had plenty time has a mature person to know the hazards attached to smoking but always in the frame of mine "cant do without my smoke"
    I sometimes look them (photos)up just to reinforce my feelings about
    smoking and why I never want to smoke again. :):)
    Best of luck to everybody giving up the dreaded weed and maybe have a look at the photos, it might help you in a moment of weakness.

Thanks connewitz,
    Meeting my doctor about my stomach tomorrow no doubt he will show me more photos and frighten the crap out of me again .http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=barrett%27s+disease+photos&rd=r3. not my photos but very similar :eek: and smoking being one of the principal causes of the decease. Pity I didn't see pictures like that before I started smoking but then again I had plenty time has a mature person to know the hazards attached to smoking but always in the frame of mine "cant do without my smoke"
    I sometimes look them (photos)up just to reinforce my feelings about
    smoking and why I never want to smoke again. :):)
    Best of luck to everybody giving up the dreaded weed and maybe have a look at the photos, it might help you in a moment of weakness.

I just had one thing more, my stomach was filled with old blood and completely bloated! The strangest and most frightening thing I have ever seen - but as I sad, not even this could keep me away from the "coffin nails"! Addiction is a very, very scary condition!
    If I could live my life again, it would be as a non smoker from the beginning.
    So everybody on this thread, stick it out and be strong. The gain is immense!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 hellomynameis

Just checking in, 2 months off them tomorrow after 14 years smoking :eek:, I never thought id see the day, I "loved" my fag or so i thought, I dont miss them at all now and really thoguht I had no willpower but evidently i do, been off the pills for a while now aswell and still doing good, I can feel that i still have them in my system though, i have a friend that gave up a week after me and met her today, she told me she only smokes 4 or 5 on a night out, more fool her, good luck to everyone giving up and continued luck to those already off them

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Coach Connewitz and Coach Terenc.. Keep Up the GREAT WORK!!;):D

Just checking in, 2 months off them tomorrow after 14 years smoking :eek:, I never thought id see the day, I "loved" my fag or so i thought, I dont miss them at all now and really thoguht I had no willpower but evidently i do, been off the pills for a while now aswell and still doing good, I can feel that i still have them in my system though, i have a friend that gave up a week after me and met her today, she told me she only smokes 4 or 5 on a night out, more fool her, good luck to everyone giving up and continued luck to those already off them

You are doing very well! And your friend is on a slippery rope! She is fooling herself, but there are always people who think, that one cig will make no difference. We all do know - IT DOES!!!!
    I am off them now for 1 year, 1 months and 8 days. Never felt better in my life. Full of energy and I don`t miss them at all!:)

DonnieL wrote: »
    Coach Connewitz and Coach Terenc.. Keep Up the GREAT WORK!!;):D

Kudos and many of them to you!
    Nice of you to pop in now and then! Hope you are well and every health concern is sorted out by now!
    Stay well and as I said, it is always nice to hear from you!:)

Well done hellomynameis,
    Same has yourself I use to feel my willpower was non-existent when it came to trying to stop smoking, but with the help of the champix and coming off champix and stopping smoking and looking back I couldn't have done it without willpower and funny enough I would say came out a stronger person, so well done and keep posting on your progress:):)
    Pity about your friend but then again it might not be her time just yet but hopefully she will not leave it to long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Day one on chantix for me - enjoyed the thread - wish me luck.

Welcome aboard Reloc8.
    Its tough at the start but just stick with it and before you know it you will be a different person even at the beginning great things can happen like not coughing at nighttime ( where did my lung go:eek:) , cramps disappear, blood pressure can become normal no more headaches and some euro which I dident have before:)
    So all the best , rock on:D keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Thank you :)

Its pretty wierd - I think I am getting the benefit of a strong placebo effect - lots of positive thoughts about quitting with these pills - but right now on day 2 I have absolutely no urge to smoke whatsoever - zero cravings.

• Advertisement

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Thank you :)

Its pretty wierd - I think I am getting the benefit of a strong placebo effect - lots of positive thoughts about quitting with these pills - but right now on day 2 I have absolutely no urge to smoke whatsoever - zero cravings.
    Well done Reloc8 on day 2,
    People tend to differ on how long they get to the stage of not wanting a smoke. I went for day 8 but smoked my last 1 on day 10(I bought 20 on day 1) but the urge to have a smoke lessen immediately when I started the champix and the packet lasted for 10 days which was amazing, mine you,be on your guard, even though the urge to have one is suppressed the cig addiction is strong has we all know to our cost and well done again:D

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Day one on chantix for me - enjoyed the thread - wish me luck.

Sure we will! First step done, more to come!
    You are on the right track and we all will help you to stay on it.
    Well done so far!!!!:D

mine you,be on your guard, even though the urge to have one is suppressed the cig addiction is strong has we all know to our cost and well done again:D

You are so right about this and it is important to emphasize this again and again!:)

Hi everybody,:)
    Hope everybody is keeping well and staying clear of the smokes,.Talking to a few people at work who smoke and they cant believe I have stayed off the smokes, I know they had a few wagers on me not lasting 1 maybe 2 weeks they didn't involve me in it,I think they were afraid to hurt my feelings has I have failed every time I tried previously and they was a lot of previous. It(I) was a bit of a joke when it came to stopping smoking, but I have to say since I stopped other people have said "well if he can do it I can" and people are now trying to stop or cut down, which is great:D.
    Thought I would share that. :):).Mine you ,forget about cutting down just cut them out.

Great motivation piece! Thank soooo much terenc!

Hi everybody
    Just read the the health waring issued by the health chiefs , most smokers will know what smoking does but one sentence sort of hit it on the head

"Smoking is the single biggest cause of illness, disability and death in Ireland"

Hopefully most smokers who read the article will act not just for themselves but for family and friends has most smokers are going to die from a smoke related illness.
    Rock on everybody who has stopped smoking and anybody thinking of giving it a shot.(stopping)

Hi everybody
    Just read the the health waring issued by the health chiefs , most smokers will know what smoking does but one sentence sort of hit it on the head

"Smoking is the single biggest cause of illness, disability and death in Ireland"

Read this as well and a bit about how much it does cost to treat cancer patients. Kind of disagree with it. Smoking is bad, really bad, we all do know this, but what about being obese? This is increasing in Ireland and the rest of Europe like crazy! This people need much more care and money than a smoker ever will. Cancer patients don`t live long. Obese people do!
    How many illnesses are going along with it (heart disease, high blood pressure and so on)? I am just saying, that it is very easy to single out the smoking as the biggest cause of illness, disability and death and forget about what we got used to see around us day in and day out in babies, children, teenagers and adults! Please do not get me wrong. There are people who can exercise and starve themselfs without ever being slim, but the majority is just lazy and too fond of comfort food. And they cost the state millions and millions in treatment each year!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Hi Everyone - first time to post - started on Champix yesterday - this is day two - don't feel any different although smoked slightly less. Wish me luck really need to give these up smoking 20 years.

cars701 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone - first time to post - started on Champix yesterday - this is day two - don't feel any different although smoked slightly less. Wish me luck really need to give these up smoking 20 years.

Welcome on board! First step done - congrats!
    It will be no easy journey, but you can do it. We are all here to help!:D
    Good luck and I wish you willpower galore!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭cars701

Hi Everyone - reading the posts wish I was further along - DAY 3 on CHAMPIX - tomorrow is the start of two tabs per day - smoked far less last night. Fingers crossed. Keep thinking about my children (I've 3) which is motivating me. Good luck to everyone today.

Advertisement