Strange Laws of Ireland - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 18:05   #1
IvaBigWun
Registered User
 
IvaBigWun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dublin
Posts: 4,562
Strange Laws of Ireland

It is illegal for a student to walk through Trinity College without a sword.

In Trinity college students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.

It is illegal to smoke any form of tobacco on Grafton St. in Dublin


Surely the first 2 are made up?
IvaBigWun is offline  
Advertisement
09-01-2009, 18:15   #2
JIZZLORD
Registered User
 
JIZZLORD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Galway
Posts: 3,505
Send a message via MSN to JIZZLORD
the trinners ones arent irish laws, only arcane college rules from back in the day
JIZZLORD is offline  
09-01-2009, 18:18   #3
Beer Baron
Registered User
 
Beer Baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,236
Send a message via MSN to Beer Baron Send a message via Skype™ to Beer Baron
Holders of the freedom of Dublin have the right to pasture sheep on common ground within the city boundaries. This includes College Green and St Stephen's Green. (this right was exercised as a publicity stunt by Bono when he brought sheep in to St. Stephens Green).
Beer Baron is offline  
Thanks from:
09-01-2009, 18:30   #4
Biggins
Banned
 
Biggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 33,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Holders of the freedom of Dublin have the right to pasture sheep on common ground within the city boundaries. This includes College Green and St Stephen's Green. (this right was exercised as a publicity stunt by Bono when he brought sheep in to St. Stephens Green).
Awaa that was nice. He gave them a day out - before they got the chop.
Hang on...They are me chops!
Biggins is offline  
09-01-2009, 18:33   #5
figs86
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berty View Post
Holders of the freedom of Dublin have the right to pasture sheep on common ground within the city boundaries. This includes College Green and St Stephen's Green. (this right was exercised as a publicity stunt by Bono when he brought sheep in to St. Stephens Green).
think he technically broke the law as you're supposed to pasture your own sheep but he borrowed some

also - not allowed smoke tobacco on grafton street? - that'd be quite ironic given that all 3 of the main tobacconists in dublin are on grafton street!
figs86 is offline  
Advertisement
09-01-2009, 18:35   #6
Ponster
Moderator
 
Ponster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 9,740
Mod: Travel
Send a message via Skype™ to Ponster
http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/ireland
Ponster is offline  
09-01-2009, 18:40   #7
Time Magazine
Registered User
 
Time Magazine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: AČ
Posts: 8,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvaBigWun View Post
It is illegal for a student to walk through Trinity College without a sword.

In Trinity college students can demand a glass of wine at any time during an exam, provided they are wearing their sword.

It is illegal to smoke any form of tobacco on Grafton St. in Dublin
None of these are true. Certainly the first two are not.

Edit: technically TCD students are supposed to adhere to a dress code (academic dress) and even "doff their cap" to many lecturers, but obviously these antiquated rules are overlooked. The rules you state just don't exist, though.
Time Magazine is offline  
09-01-2009, 18:42   #8
Biggins
Banned
 
Biggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 33,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponster View Post
Quote:
Any person who shall pretend or exercise to use any type of witchcraft, sorcery, enchantment, or pretend knowledge in any occult or or craft or science shall for any such offense suffer imprisonment at the time of one whole year and also shall be obliged to obscursion for his/her good behavior.
O' crap - those bewitching folk in the Dail then are in serious trouble. Someone tell them quick to stop!
Biggins is offline  
Thanks from:
09-01-2009, 18:57   #9
javaboy
Registered User
 
javaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,471
You must hold a TV licence for any device capable of receiving TV signals even if you don't use it or it's broken or you just watch dvds on it.

You can drive around on public roads without ever proving your competency at driving.
javaboy is offline  
Advertisement
09-01-2009, 18:59   #10
Biggins
Banned
 
Biggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 33,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaboy View Post
You can drive around on public roads without ever proving your competency at driving.
That I DO believe. Its explains many a TD's driving!
Biggins is offline  
09-01-2009, 19:02   #11
biko
Percolator
 
biko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Galway
Posts: 44,632
The Tippling Act 1735 prohibits a publican from pursuing a customer for money owed for any drink given on credit.
The law was aimed at stopping landlords demanding ale money owed to them by servants who resorted to robbing their masters to pay their debts.
biko is offline  
09-01-2009, 19:11   #12
Biggins
Banned
 
Biggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 33,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by biko View Post
...The law was aimed at stopping landlords demanding ale money owed to them by servants who resorted to robbing their masters to pay their debts.
Aaa whaa!

O' hang on. Tell the people on that site to go buy a comma or two...
(I know its not your fault)

The law was aimed at stopping landlords demanding ale money, owed to them by servants who resorted to robbing their masters to pay their debts.

Its weird world we share. Funny mad place!
Biggins is offline  
09-01-2009, 19:20   #13
Thomas_S_Hunterson
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by javaboy View Post
You must hold a TV licence for any device capable of receiving TV signals even if you don't use it or it's broken or you just watch dvds on it.
But any conductor of electricity 'receives' TV signals
Thomas_S_Hunterson is offline  
09-01-2009, 19:22   #14
Biggins
Banned
 
Biggins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ireland
Posts: 33,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_K View Post
But any conductor of electricity 'receives' TV signals
...true but also must have the ability to decode them too.
(sorry - I'm being sensible for a second - I won't do it again!)

Biggins is offline  
09-01-2009, 19:27   #15
Thomas_S_Hunterson
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
...true but also must have the ability to decode them too.
(sorry - I'm being sensible for a second - I won't do it again!)

phew, just as I was about to get a license for my cutlery.
Thomas_S_Hunterson is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet