Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Q&A with BIGMICKG

• 02-01-2009 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

A stranger is being shown around a village that he has just become part of. He is shown a well and his guide says "On any day except Tuesday, you can shout any question down that well and you'll be told the answer."

The man seems pretty impressed, and so he shouts down: "Why not on Tuesday?" and the voice from in the well shouts back: "Because on Tuesday, it’s your day in the well."
    A few generic questions for you to get you going:

What's your Poker story?

What are your Poker plans for next year?

Who is the player(s) you play against regularly that you respect the most?

Any epiphany moments in your career?

Comments

Hey Mick,

First off thanks for doing this and congrats again on the Supernova Elite.

1. How do you deal with the tedium of the volume of SnG's you play?

2. Why did you choose to focus on this one area of poker over, say, cash games?

3. Who is your non-poker hero and why?

4. Do you think that poker offers big rewards but takes too much in return in terms of personal life? How do you try and strike a balance, or do you try?

5. Do you have any specific strategies for adapting your online skills to live MTT's like the IPC or the Irish Open?

Thanks again and good luck in all your goals for this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

What age are you?

How many tables do you play at a time?

Did you / Do you study poker much i.e. books, training sites etc.?

If you had one piece of advice for newbies what would it be?

Favourite food?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

any hand(live) that you remember playing particularly well?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Are you a poker pro? If so, what role does poker have in your long-term future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Hi Mick 1 Did you ever ride ahorse through the green areas of Finglas bare back.

2.Would you consider Galway a foreign holiday?

3.Any regrets about leaving the roofing business to be a poker player?

4.Have you spent your FPPS? or are they waiting for arainy day.

5Favourite holiday destination? ever consider moving abroad and play with the sun on your back so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭FuttBucker

Do you not get insanely bored of sit n go's?

Are you going to get the porsche?

Fav football team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

Hi this really interests me because i have taken up sit and gos in the last 2 months ive played a 1000 sample so its good to be able to ask someone like you a few questions!

What levels did you start at?

What level did you find toughest to make the move up at?

What is the best possible way to learn while moving up the levels eg:books , coaching etc.....

Im currently playing $10 turbos what roi should i be looking to attain at this level in order to be a winning player at higher levels?

What has been your worse downswing?

Congrats on making sne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gaslast

Congrats on making your goal to become supernova elite but to be honest I find it more impressive to see monthly graphs of people killing cash games than somebody who is after playing 10 million sng's or whatever. It is a very good achievement and all but playing a standard strategy with good ICM is all that is required to beat these games for your win rate. I mean there are exceptional sng players such as gidders, z32fanatic, bigjoe2003 etc that have had sick win rates at sngs but being praised for spending hours and hours grinding these things and contributing unholy amounts of rake isn't the most inspiring poker feat that I have ever heard. Anyway I wish you similar sucess as fellow elite's like Dario Miniri and RainKhan. Then I'll tip my hat to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Headspace

1. How do you find the sngs on Euro sites at the same level that you regularly play? 2. I like sngs as well and tried to turn to cash as "its where the money is" but its slowly dawning that I'm just not suited, I spew and tilt. Please comment. 3. Imo the only way to win at poker is to play your best every time you ply. Do you agree. If so how do you prepare for a session. 4. And do you ever feel like quitting if the first 10 sngs go very well and you may have a loosing night if you keep playing, cause I do, discuss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭BIGMICKG

just about to leave for galway. not sure if ill be online for the next couple of days if i am ill answer a few Q`s then. doubt ill be online for the rest of 2day night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

WHY?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Irish Iron

How long did you grind the low stakes sngs? if ever?

Where did you learn sng strategy or did you develop your own style that worked?

Did you always have strict bankroll management?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭kakak1

gaslast wrote: »
    Congrats on making your goal to become supernova elite but to be honest I find it more impressive to see monthly graphs of people killing cash games than somebody who is after playing 10 million sng's or whatever. It is a very good achievement and all but playing a standard strategy with good ICM is all that is required to beat these games for your win rate. I mean there are exceptional sng players such as gidders, z32fanatic, bigjoe2003 etc that have had sick win rates at sngs but being praised for spending hours and hours grinding these things and contributing unholy amounts of rake isn't the most inspiring poker feat that I have ever heard. Anyway I wish you similar sucess as fellow elite's like Dario Miniri and RainKhan. Then I'll tip my hat to you sir!

and your question is ??????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

congrats again Mick

my question
    1) Can I kip on the couch in ur suite at WSOP? I cant afford a hotel. ta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

Congrats on Supernova achievements.

1. You don't play a 2+2 SNG style. In the present climate with SNGs being almost a solved game do you feel that playing a style, similar to yours in that it differs from standard percieved optimum strategy, may now be just as optimal as the considered correct strategy?

2. Best 5 regs on Stars in the $100s etc.

3. What do you think the regs/winners think of your game?

4. Do you still berate people in chat, this used too tilt me so much :)

Congrats again, gl in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

1. Why did you choose pokerstars?
    2. How do you play a site without rakeback when you play such high a volume?
    3. What % of Stt players make a profit/loss in your opinion?
    4. How many hours a day/week do you put in?
    5. What are your goals for 2009?
    6. What levels are you currently playing and do you ever mix your games?
    7. Are you affected by tilt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭HalfBaked

Wow, your a cock. Can I say that on boards, meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

2. How do you play a site without rakeback when you play such high a volume?

?

he's just after reaching super nova elite...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

?

he's just after reaching super nova elite...

And? Pokerstars do Rakeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,232 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

And? Pokerstars do Rakeback?

This is the sort of bonuses you can be getting when you are playing at BigMick level.
    http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/supernova/#MRB

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

You play SNG, So what have you broken? (Eg laptops,phones and mouses)

Great acheivement Mick, Good luck in Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

lol @ gaslast jealousy.

How many players have actually reached supernova status?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭FeetMagic

How did you feel to see a player limp-shove over your raise from the BB with 85s and to go on and bust your AA? Only hand I saw of you today at the IPC. But I think your still in it so good luck !
    Serious question time: At what age did you start playing poker? Would you recommend it as a career choice? Have you ever taken a long break from poker not planning on coming back to it? Finally do you ever play cash games, live or online, and for what stakes?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

1. Do you think you could beat 200NL now if you starting into the games today say?
    2. What has been your biggest inspiration to get as far as you did?
    3. At what stage did you decide to give up work, and any regrets?
    4. Who has been your fiercest adversary in the SNG realm?
    5. Do you actively game select, or are you just happy to get enough games going?
    6. Would the treatment of dealers in the past affect your decision to go a tournament in the future, really?
    7. What one realistic feature would you put into a poker site which isn't there already?
    8. Was it REALLY worth all the time to get to SNE?
    9. If you paid 200K in rake, does that mean you paid 2,000,000 in tournament fee's, and so 2% profit was $40,000?
    10. Would you consider yourself to be better than most mid-stakes cash players?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

wow, what a twisted cnut !:(

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Well done Mick super impressed.

Do you play to a rigid schedule per week / daily ?

When on a downswing I really don't feel like playing, do you get like this and what works to counter it ?

How do you have the time to post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Congrats mick superb achievement.

I played with you briefly at the IPO and noticed that you had no problem folding utg with less then 5bb (I think you folded with even less then this amount), if you can remember is there any reason for this action? Do you do this in SNG's also?

thanks in advance.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The Snapper and HalfBaked banned for a few days for personal abuse.

Keep on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,232 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hi Mick, Thanks for doing this.

1. Playing SNGs do you ever have interesting hands/situations that you don't know what the correct play is? (I played ~2300 SNGs last year and there wasn't one hand worth posting on the HH forum, perhaps thats just the nature of the things).

2. I 3-table $15+1 Stars Turbos as my regular game at 12% ROI using the basic tight early/loose late strategy. Is there any one tip or refinement you can give that might improve my game at this level?

3. What sort of player notes do you take on players?

4. I've noticed a trend that a lot of players are raising instead of pushbotting with 5 or 6 BB from 100/200 level onwards. Obviously they are committed if reraised, but I'm guessing the theory is that their raise looks stronger than a push. Is this a good tactic?

5. Do you avoid any players, like would you sit out for 10 minutes waiting for them to be registered for a full set of games before registering for the first of your own set?

6. How would you play a hand like AK/JJ utg in the first level?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

Once again, well done on the Supernova elite.

1: Do you use any special sng tools? Or just the standard PT or holdem manager?

2: What is your rig/PC set up? Screens etc?

3: Best thing you watched in 2008?

Thanks for taking the time out to do this and sorry if I have repeated any questions.

Advertisement