Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-10-2009, 13:38   #61
serfboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetonic View Post
the "restaurants" will be Burger King
Fixed that for you. FFS, Burger King.
Advertisement
16-10-2009, 13:42   #62
Amtmann
Closed Account

Does Burger King have the rights now to all service areas in the country, be they under construction or in planning? That's pretty poor form. I've nothing against Burger King, but surely a variety would be better than just one fast food joint. If the choice is between breakfast rolls and beef burgers, that can't be good in the longterm!
Thanks from:
16-10-2009, 15:22   #63
mysterious
Banned

Borris in Ossary should be the dedicated stop for a service area on the M7.

If I see another stupid serivice station idea built outside a city or only 30 miles from it. I will scream.

Why can't the NRA refrain from always been so illogical. Service stations are built purposly a service area for long distance traffic who wishes to stop on their journey half way. It is not a stop where you build a bloody retail park in Fermoy or Kildare at the foot of two cities. God I can't understand this country when it come to planning. It's reckless.
16-10-2009, 16:14   #64
BluntGuy
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfboard View Post
Fixed that for you. FFS, Burger King.
Looking at some of the MSA EIS, there seem to be two concessionaire severies. Not sure about these MSAs, but perhaps there'll be two "restaurants" to pick from (thought it wouldn't surprise me if the other one ended up being "KFC" or something).
Thanks from:
17-10-2009, 01:06   #65
Carawaystick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntGuy View Post
Looking at some of the MSA EIS, there seem to be two concessionaire severies. Not sure about these MSAs, but perhaps there'll be two "restaurants" to pick from (thought it wouldn't surprise me if the other one ended up being "KFC" or something).
In France, the service area stops have a fuel station stop with fairly basic food- coffee and ready made sandwiches kinda like we'd have in a convenience store and a separate canteen/restaurant operation run by a different operator to give some amount of competition.
Advertisement
17-10-2009, 03:11   #66
MYOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carawaystick View Post
In France, the service area stops have a fuel station stop with fairly basic food- coffee and ready made sandwiches kinda like we'd have in a convenience store and a separate canteen/restaurant operation run by a different operator to give some amount of competition.
This is much the same in the UK - the pumps will almost always have a drinks station and prepacked sandwiches to whatever level the pump operator wants, with the facilities block and the cafe/fast food/WH Smiths it contains separate. We seem to be going for a one building approach here.

One of the reasons for separate buildings in the UK was to stop people parking at the pumps and going for their dinner, seeing as Irish people seem to think its OK to go in a petrol station and spend 10 minutes at the hot deli / newspapers / getting stuff to cook the dinner as it is I can see the single building approach needing a few tow trucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
Does Burger King have the rights now to all service areas in the country, be they under construction or in planning? That's pretty poor form. I've nothing against Burger King, but surely a variety would be better than just one fast food joint. If the choice is between breakfast rolls and beef burgers, that can't be good in the longterm!
All three official ones, yes. When you consider what's sitting right beside junctions, you've got Subway, Wimpy, McDonalds, any number of privateer operators, etc. Eventual intent is that I'll have a website that lists the nearest fuel stops or preferably ersatz services off each motorway/DC junction in Ireland - I've got the domain for it but not the site yet!

Last edited by MYOB; 17-10-2009 at 03:14.
Thanks from:
18-10-2009, 09:16   #67
Bluetonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furet View Post
Apple bought a Burger King franchise for all the restaurants, however as a minimum as part of the contract they must run/open 12 Burger Kings so as well as the service stations some of the existing Apple garages convenience stores will be changed in Burger Kings. Any new service stations on the motorways that Apple/Top/Davy operate will be Burger Kings.
Thanks from:
18-10-2009, 10:26   #68
flazio

I assume you mean Applegreen rather then Steve Jobs pride and joy.
18-10-2009, 11:09   #69
Bluetonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flazio View Post
I assume you mean Applegreen rather then Steve Jobs pride and joy.
I do indeed, I've a bad habit of leaving out the 'green'.
Advertisement
18-10-2009, 23:34   #70
westtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin_utd View Post
But obviously the long stretch from Dublin to Cork OR Waterford OR Limerick is safety uncritical!

How long will it be before you have people pulling over at the side of the motorway on long journeys desperate to relieve themselves on the hard shoulder?
norm to use the hard shoulder as a toilet for the lack of any alternative.
Not long is the answer in fact I already have on the M4 somewhere between Mullingar and Kinnegad - and whats more to the point I had to stop once on the same stretch of road with children in the car so one of them could puke. The lack of rest areas on our spanking new motorways is just indicative of the way this f***king country is run by the various authorities, quangos and government agencies which couldn't organise a f****king p*ss up in a brewery. The incompetence in planning is just unbelievable. Its a joke. A very sick one.
19-10-2009, 09:51   #71
minikin

I don't see the need for the MSA at lusk, given that it's under two miles from the applegreen service station at the Balbriggan junction... we don't have the cash to fund it and we don't need the disruption (speed limit down to 75km) during construction. White elephant. Where's the logic? Only hing the applegreen is missing is the picnic area... seriously a picnic area... that'll be lovely with the sound of one of our busiest motorways right beside you - very peaceful!
19-10-2009, 11:59   #72
munchkin_utd

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtip View Post
.....The lack of rest areas on our spanking new motorways is just indicative of the way this f***king country is run by the various authorities, quangos and government agencies which couldn't organise a f****king p*ss up in a brewery. The incompetence in planning is just unbelievable. Its a joke. A very sick one.
You have to understand, Irish ministers dont need piss stops whilst driving to the provinces because they go by toilet equipped plane rather than road.
How the head honchos in the government possibly know of the dearth of services on incomprehensibly long stretches of road in Ireland if they wont even use these multi billion euro resources??

Quote:
O'Donoghue flew to Kerry or back 73 times in a year
Despite having a €100,000 driver, the minister took to the air at a cost of almost €15,000
http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/a...mes-in-a-year/

Anyhow, back on topic and to put things in perspective,
on an equivalent journey in Germany as Dublin to Cork, i.e. from Munich to Würzburg (270km), there's 9 full service service stations/ restaurants.
If you ignore the ones at the start and end of the journey which are probably of no use to you, you still have 7 places en route to make a pit stop for toilet/ fuel/ breaks.
This does not even include very basic rest stops that have toilet only facilities in between the fully equipped stops.
Maybe Irish people have much better bladders (and larger fuel tanks) than in Germany that no services are needed?
http://www.tank.rast.de/standorte/servicenetz/11_en.php
19-10-2009, 18:25   #73
Bluetonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by minikin View Post
I don't see the need for the MSA at lusk, given that it's under two miles from the applegreen service station at the Balbriggan junction... we don't have the cash to fund it and we don't need the disruption (speed limit down to 75km) during construction. White elephant. Where's the logic? Only hing the applegreen is missing is the picnic area... seriously a picnic area... that'll be lovely with the sound of one of our busiest motorways right beside you - very peaceful!
What happens if the Applegreen at Walshestown closes? The NRA have no control this. Then you'd be giving out that there is no service station.

Also if you look at the two you'll see the capacity difference amongst others.
20-10-2009, 00:06   #74
Carawaystick

Ballough (Lusk) service station work

These are taken from the bridge over the M1 in Ballough, down the road from White's Agri and Murtaghs pub used be at the junction of this and the R132.

The wide photo shows the hard shoulder closed off, the cones extend about 200m south of this bridge.

The other photo shows more of the work taking place including a crane on site.
A track/gravel road can be seen running alongside the works. this has been here a long time and is either for ESBN to put up their pylons, the footing of one which can be seen close to the main work site or their is a gas substation immediately south and east of the bridge I'm standing on.

The bridge over the M1 in the middle distance is from the Five Roads to the Nags Head, while there are tall lighting poles visible in the distance, either from the old five roads junction or from the junction where Applegreen are now.

I might try bring the zoom lens either this weekend or next week when it should be brighter as I go to work, to get a better close up of the work. There didn't seem to be any work going on west of the m1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0037.JPG (555.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0038.JPG (952.0 KB, 131 views)
(5) thanks from:
22-10-2009, 17:20   #75
JohnHenry

I was just on the NRA website and saw this,

Fred Barry, CEO of NRA stated
“We are very pleased with this announcement today. These service areas will enhance the overall benefits of the new motorway network. There is an important driver safety element along with the convenience of amenities for all road users."

http://www.nra.ie/News/PressReleases...,16697,en.html

What a load of Bol**x!!!!!

What about the rest of the original 12 proposed service areas, from what i heard they aint getting built due to lack of funding.
Typical, first thing to go when the money runs short is safety, in the hight of the Celtic tiger they couldent get enough saftey officers onto building sites but i bet when things statred to get tight the 1st guy to go was the safety officer!!

This is a quote from the Cashel EIS, Chapter 7:-
Considering that driver fatigue was estimated to be a factor in 20% of all fatal accidents by the Road Safety Authority, as outlined in ‘Road Safety Strategy 2007- 2012’, it is anticipated that providing the opportunity for drivers to rest in a safe and protected environment away from the mainline carriageway will be likely to have a positive road safety benefit.

20%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats alot of dead bodies

All the government care about in this country is looking after the rich bankers, full stop, everything else comes a distant second.

WHAT ABOUT BUILDING THE REST OF THE SERVICE AREAS AROUND THE COUNTRY????

Sorry for the rant, had to get that off my chest

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion