Motors FAQ>Owning>How To Service A Car - Page 11 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2009, 17:19   #151
stevie.enright

Got oil filter out with a bit of a struggle. Thanks for assistance everyone....Next job up is shocks, they need doing badly. Has anyone done this at home. Is the spring compression tool absolutely essential or there any alternatives. Remember a friend telling me before that he managed to change his without it although it was not easy. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited by stevie.enright; 23-07-2009 at 17:21.
Advertisement
24-07-2009, 10:09   #152
Captain Slow IRL

Depending on the setup, it may be possible. If you are dismantling macpherson struts, the compression tool has to be used - it's a dangerous job even with the tool and something I wouldn't advise you to do if you're unsure.
29-07-2009, 15:26   #153
gar_29

brilliant thread, thanks to everyone who's posted advice...

just a quick question;

when you leave your car in for a service, is there not, i dunno, some tuning up or anything they do? is it "just" the oil, filters, maybe brakes? if that's it, i'd defo give it a try!
04-12-2009, 12:03   #154
getcover

Thanks for all the advice here.
How diifficult would it be to change the oil in my Volvo S40, in my own driveway?
Would I need to park the car over one of those pits for this?
04-12-2009, 15:18   #155
Volvoboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by getcover View Post
Thanks for all the advice here.
How diifficult would it be to change the oil in my Volvo S40, in my own driveway?
Would I need to park the car over one of those pits for this?
No you wouldnt need a pit, just jack up the car and put a stand under it also, locate the oil sump nut and filter screw it off and drain the oil, when its finished renew the oil filter and tighten up the sump and filter, put her back down on all four wheels and replace the oil.
Advertisement
04-12-2009, 15:47   #156
whitelightrider

Guys I have a 07 Passat thats in need of a service. Im seriously thinking of giving this a go. But when it comes around to selling the car (not that Ill be doing it anytime soon) would you not need a service history?
04-12-2009, 15:53   #157
no1beemerfan
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightrider View Post
Guys I have a 07 Passat thats in need of a service. Im seriously thinking of giving this a go. But when it comes around to selling the car (not that Ill be doing it anytime soon) would you not need a service history?
Keep the invoices AND MAKE SURE you get the right oil. DO NOT skimp on the oil!
04-12-2009, 16:10   #158
Kid Nothing

Quote:
Think about it yourself, if you were buying a car privately and the guy told you he'd been servicing it for the last few years himself, hoe confident would you be?!!!

Having said that if you're not intending on selling soon, give it a shot but i'd 100% recommend still bringing the car to a garage at some stage to check out brakes, run diagnostics, etc if you want to keep the car in decent nick.
04-12-2009, 16:41   #159
danjo

Just came across this thread. Very good information here.
Thought the link below might be useful as an indicator of things that need to be checked regularly.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/2009/03/01...ng-inspection/
Advertisement
04-12-2009, 16:45   #160
Hal1

Quote:
Just a note to say they usually have a engine cover underneath those passat's. There's a couple of screws holding them on.
04-12-2009, 20:14   #161
Esel
Subscriber

Quote:
Have a look at this thread. It's for a diesel, but has good pics and might give you some pointers. As others have said, get the correct oil!
04-12-2009, 21:27   #162
jimmyw

Send a message via Skype™ to jimmyw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvoboy View Post
No you wouldnt need a pit, just jack up the car and put a stand under it also, locate the oil sump nut and filter screw it off and drain the oil, when its finished renew the oil filter and tighten up the sump and filter, put her back down on all four wheels and replace the oil.

I have done this job on alot of cars before so I could nearly do it in my sleep. I dont buy an oil filter wrench when I can use a large hose clip around it and tighten it and then hit the screw thread screw with a screwdriver.I dont put a screwdriver through the filter because 1 it makes a mess and 2 if the filter is the wrong one the old one can be replaced temporarly. Bit tight like that.One thing tho is if you are jacking up the car and open the sump it is best to leave the car down off the jack while the oil is been drained cause otherwise the car wouldnt be level and you might not drain all of the oil.
05-12-2009, 12:48   #163
nogoodnamesleft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyw View Post
I have done this job on alot of cars before so I could nearly do it in my sleep. I dont buy an oil filter wrench when I can use a large hose clip around it and tighten it and then hit the screw thread screw with a screwdriver.I dont put a screwdriver through the filter because 1 it makes a mess and 2 if the filter is the wrong one the old one can be replaced temporarly. Bit tight like that.One thing tho is if you are jacking up the car and open the sump it is best to leave the car down off the jack while the oil is been drained cause otherwise the car wouldnt be level and you might not drain all of the oil.
Thats fine for metal oil filters however a lot of the cars on the market are now using paper oil fiters in order to reduce waste. The oil filter housing cover is a screwtop and made of plastic. Using a strap wrench is only asking for trouble as the strap wrench will invariably slip and you run the risk of the plastic over cracking if you squeze it too tight.

I would always prefer to have the proper tool for the job rather than damage something or cause personal injury.
05-12-2009, 15:14   #164
jimmyw

Send a message via Skype™ to jimmyw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogoodnamesleft View Post
Thats fine for metal oil filters however a lot of the cars on the market are now using paper oil fiters in order to reduce waste. The oil filter housing cover is a screwtop and made of plastic. Using a strap wrench is only asking for trouble as the strap wrench will invariably slip and you run the risk of the plastic over cracking if you squeze it too tight.

I would always prefer to have the proper tool for the job rather than damage something or cause personal injury.
Oh absolutely. I was just talking a bit of tongue in cheek. I have not come across the newer type but can imagine how a wrench might damage it alright. How are you supposed to remove them new ones as a matter of interest.
05-12-2009, 15:20   #165
Esel
Subscriber

^ I think there's usually a long bolt running through the lid to the base of the filter housing. Same idea as the older Mercedes-Benz engines. Piece of cake to change those!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion