Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there wild boar in Ireland

• 26-10-2008 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Whats the story with boar in ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

lazolovac wrote: »

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

lazolovac wrote: »

Yes. I have video proof that they were in Wicklow/ Wexford in July 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

I have video proof that they were in Wicklow/ Wexford in July 2007

Are you allowed show us john?? :rolleyes: i would love to see them wild myself

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

I thought they became instinct here in the 17th century???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Illegally re-introduced recently I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

by who and for what purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

any in donegal ???

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Proably the story lies somwhere between truth and fiction.Somwhat like the Big cats.[How long does it take the Dept of Ag to analyise a load of Sh11te and announce it's findings???:rolleyes:]
    There seem to be people who see them and have proof,but it never seems to be forthcoming when asked for wether from private parties or Govt depts.
    The last offical wild boar from a farm project were up somwhere in the border counties[Louth I think].Wether they were released by antis,the farmer or escaped is not known.However they were apprently killed off,after the "cute factor" wore off.So if they are back in Wicklow thats news.
    They could also be feral pigs that escaped somwhere,and have gone wild again,ala the Aussie Razorbacks.2nd Gen pigs would go hairy pretty quick again.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Any chance of some footage John ? I suppose even if the release was not sanctioned or illegal if you wish the animals were once native to Ireland. The same has been done with extinct birds of prey although under official supervision.

They're a fantastic animal to observe, hunt and eat. They can be fairly destructive for agriculture though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

Are you allowed show us john?? :rolleyes: i would love to see them wild myself

I will show it to anybody that wants to see it, i offered to show it to anybody that wanted to see it at the Game Fair in Birr this year. Some saw it. I have shown it to many at this stage, sorry Grizzly I'm not sure if i got to show it to you at the Game fair. There was wild boar living wild in July 2007 in Wicklow. I don't know if the are still alive, they had several young with them when they were recorded. They were very tame at the time, i have no records of them since.
    I'm not able to download the video on my phone. There was also reports of wild boar in Leitrim. I have also heard that they are being offered for sale for release.

Yes they are native to Ireland and they were driven to extinction. But the recent attempts at re-introducing them are totally illegal. There are very strict guidelines for re-introducing any species.

If anybody has any info on wild boar please PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Buy and Sell had an ad a few weeks ago, 300 each, I doubt they are true wild boar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What woukld be the legal stance on hunting?
    Would the DoEH encouage it as it was unsupervised and may cause damage (a la muntjac).
    Or is there more of an lets see whats happens for now approach.

Mellor wrote: »
    What woukld be the legal stance on hunting?
    Would the DoEH encouage it as it was unsupervised and may cause damage (a la muntjac).
    Or is there more of an lets see whats happens for now approach.

Not protected by the Wildlife Act, so if you've got enough gun for it and fancy wild rashers (;)), then roll on. If you get one, give us all a shout too, wouldn't mind some wild bacon myself, love to try shoot them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Not protected by the Wildlife Act, so if you've got enough gun for it and fancy wild rashers (;)), then roll on. If you get one, give us all a shout too, wouldn't mind some wild bacon myself, love to try shoot them.

+1. Not protected by Wildlife act:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks guys, sadly I wouldn't have the firepower to tackle them, was just curious.

As an aside, would it be a reasonable rule of thumb that required firepower for boar would be the same as deer.

Boar would take a bit more killing I'd say, but John Griffin has said .25-06 upwards does the trick, so all but the lightest deer rounds will do the job. It's why I'm still thinking of a .270. It'd be versatile enough to do it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,932 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Some saw it. I have shown it to many at this stage, sorry Grizzly I'm not sure if i got to show it to you at the Game fair.

Nah,didnt even know you had any John,or that there were any in WB in Ireland.Dont think I was alluding to you in my last post BTW.:)

Re firepower to take boar.12GA/20 GA slugs or 00 Buck[thats the 9 ball.32 cal load] will drop them very nicely out to 50 meters.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 19 fofs

Here in Ontario Canada many farmers have tried to raise wild boar with limited success. They are very hard animals to raise experts at escape and evasion. When they do escape they can move up to 60 K per night terroizing flower beds and pets alike. A wild boar has no reverse gear they only move forward not fearing anything. The farm across from me had 40 wild boar escape and I hunted them down for them, it took me 3 months.

As for hardware I used a 22 Hornet for open shots and in the bush a 12 guage shooting rifled slugs. In the end I got them all but the amount of complaints they got from neighbors was abundant.

The problem with wild boar is that they are wild and when it comes time to market them the farmer has a very difficult time to catch them.
    To try to catch one live is a task I would wish on no man, They are downright mean. Once they escape they can live and breed with no problem if left alone they multiply rapidly and the crop damage can be very bad. They are great foragers and can live on bugs, worms, and berries. I would suggest any wild boar in Ireland are ones that have got out on the farmers.

Regards fofs

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Nah,didnt even know you had any John,or that there were any in WB in Ireland.Dont think I was alluding to you in my last post BTW.:)

Re firepower to take boar.12GA/20 GA slugs or 00 Buck[thats the 9 ball.32 cal load] will drop them very nicely out to 50 meters.

You're spot on Grizzly. Before it was made illegal to use shot cartridges on bigger game the standard driven boar configuration in Belgium was shotgun with 00 buckshot.

Looking at what's knocking around nowadys since there's no mentioning in the Wildlife acts relating to wild boar a nice 12ga/3" semi with a couple of rounds of 00 magnums will harvest you the wild rashers.

I used to know a lad who's old fella farmed them as a sideline, his main business was a poultry wholesale setup. He never tried live catching and slaugthering like a normal pig. No abbatoir is insane enough to accept a lorry of wild boar me thinks. The way he done it was shotgun with Brenneke type slugs and bring the carcasses in for skinning, dressing and butchering. For a while boar used to be quite popular for the festive season over there and he made a good few quid at them. Compared to some when the demand went down he done the right thing though. Instead of opening the gate he killed of his stock and invited a huge crowd to a massive pigroasting and piss up.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Compared to some when the demand went down he done the right thing though. Instead of opening the gate he killed of his stock and invited a huge crowd to a massive pigroasting and piss up.

Demand went down? :confused:

I was in a restaurant last week and I chose the duck and my girlfriend had a wild boar stew. My duck was good, but she definitely got the better dish. I've also had boar sausages before, and a chop. I can't understand why people wouldn't like it, it's just like farmed pig except much, much tastier!

I was talking about the early 90's ( 91 or 2 ). I suppose the market's taste for different kinds of food is just like any trend : they come and go.

I was talking about the early 90's ( 91 or 2 ). I suppose the market's taste for different kinds of food is just like any trend : they come and go.
    they can be got for about 350 each ,there is a good few pockets of them about the country .BUT I DONT KNOW WHERE

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Caught a programme on Horse & Country TV the other day about the CLA Game Fair this year in England. They were talking about wild boar and especially how tasty they were:P

BASC now have a website with recipes for all sorts of game - http://www.gameson.org.uk/

Should make good reading.

Caught a programme on Horse & Country TV the other day about the CLA Game Fair this year in England. They were talking about wild boar and especially how tasty they were:P

BASC now have a website with recipes for all sorts of game - http://www.gameson.org.uk/

Should make good reading.
    there has been one or two shot in donedal and in tip ,there is a good population in tip .i would think the the big black thing was seen in tip last year was a boar as the guy that has them also has stalking in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

jwshooter wrote: »
    there has been one or two shot in donedal and in tip ,there is a good population in tip .i would think the the big black thing was seen in tip last year was a boar as the guy that has them also has stalking in the area

do you know what part of donegal jw

do you know what part of donegal jw

i do lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Can you get me permission on that land in tipp jw ha ha :rolleyes:?!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭like to hunt

let them beeeeee
    and we will see:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭lordarpad

let them beeeeee
    and we will see:cool:

I agree, let's leave them be until they are indiginous(sp?) again.

Advertisement