Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-10-2008, 11:03   #1
jgally

20p coin (1985) worth anything??

I have a 1985 20p coin that is in great condition. How long will I have to wait until its worth anything decent??
Advertisement
13-10-2008, 15:22   #2
Degsy
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Degsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgally View Post
I have a 1985 20p coin that is in great condition. How long will I have to wait until its worth anything decent??
I'm no expert but i'd imagine a hundred years or so!
13-10-2008, 15:24   #3
jaycen
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to jaycen
about 22c right now although you'd have to pay to convert it.
Thanks from:
21-10-2008, 20:24   #4
growler

Quote:
a century or two should see it become worth a bit , keep it safe!!
21-10-2008, 20:30   #5
cregser

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
a century or two should see it become worth a bit , keep it safe!!
What about a 1999 IR£10 note? It's not mint condition, but not ripped or anything. I found it in an old coat a few years back and never bothered to convert it.
Advertisement
21-10-2008, 23:21   #6
Judgement Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by cregser View Post
What about a 1999 IR£10 note? It's not mint condition, but not ripped or anything. I found it in an old coat a few years back and never bothered to convert it.
As far as I know the Central Bank in Dame Street will still exchange old bank notes at the Euro rate but otherwise it is virtually worthless. You could try eBay but it would need to be in mint condition and even then you probably wouldn't get much for it.
21-10-2008, 23:39   #7
Sam Kade

I have a 1908 coin badly worn I don't think that it would be worth much.
26-10-2008, 06:08   #8
dermo88
Banned

http://www.irishcoinage.com/DECCAT.HTM

The 1985 20 pence is in fact an extreme rarity. In 1985 prior to the introduction of the new twenty pence piece in 1986 a quantity of coins dated 1985 were struck for testing. Some of these coins escaped being melted down and are in private hands. I have heard of only a very small number of exchanges of these coin and the prices I have heard for them have varied widely. I believe that the minimum number identified in collections (as opposed to sitting gathering dust somewhere without its value being understood but its owner) is four. I suspect thate the number is somewhat higher than this but certainly the coin is extremely rare and because the original production run was apparently very small with only perhaps 50 coins being released for vending machine testing etc. it is unlikely to turn up in significant quantitiies which is always the 'danger' with assigning high prices to modern rarities.
01-11-2008, 14:07   #9
GUNMONEY

Can you post a picture?

Quote:
Advertisement
08-11-2008, 12:29   #10
Blade

Yeh post a picture of both sides please, I'd be interested too, please don't sell it without talking to me first. If it is indeed a 1985

Degsy, Jaycen and Grolwer: Please don't give advice about things you don't know.
20-11-2008, 23:53   #11
the GALL

if it has a smoothedge/not milled
consider yourself about €10,000 richer
if not it's back to work for you on monday
21-11-2008, 01:57   #12
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by the GALL View Post
if it has a smoothedge/not milled
consider yourself about €10,000 richer
if not it's back to work for you on monday
Smooth edge or not the 1985 20p is ext. rare and still worth in that region. To be honest I suspect the OP is bull$hitting about having one. I've seen some chancers offering 50 Euro for them in adverts like buy and sell
21-11-2008, 10:29   #13
the GALL

I thought all 1985 20p were smooth and used by telecom engineers to test the phone box's. They were initially issued with a smooth edge as a token to test the weight of the coin to calibrate the phone box and were to be handed back after the testing was complete. Hey OP send us on a photo of the edge I'd love to get a look at it(ya jammy B**stard, ya).

No OP's feeling were hurt in the makeing of this thread(I hope's)
24-03-2009, 18:36   #14
jd10

just wondering would anyone know if an irish pound coin with part milled edge is worth anything? i know a pound coin with a full milled edge is worth about 20 euro but would my coin be worth more or less???

i have also come across a lead pound coin - anyone ever heard about these? obviously counterfeit but its just something interesting to keep in my collection.
24-03-2009, 19:59   #15
Blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10 View Post
just wondering would anyone know if an irish pound coin with part milled edge is worth anything? i know a pound coin with a full milled edge is worth about 20 euro but would my coin be worth more or less???

i have also come across a lead pound coin - anyone ever heard about these? obviously counterfeit but its just something interesting to keep in my collection.
20 euro is a fair evaluation for a fully milled edge pound coin. The partly milled ones would not be worth as much, I'd say between 5 and 10 euro tops. I've come across a lot more partly milled ones plus they don't have the same numismatic appeal or interest.

Lead pound coins were a common counterfeit alright, basically cast and intented to deceive at the time. But it's also possible to create them today, so for that reason they don't have a high value, I picked one up for a fiver. All these coins have an important numismatic history so you should keep them in your collection.

You probably know already but the milled pounds didn't go through the second phase which was to add the security engrailing. The milling is done together with the face strikes, all in one strike.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed