Pictures and memories from old Galway - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-10-2008, 21:08   #61
herbieflowers

was it Smyth's that used to be across from where it is now? Oh, and the Claddagh Palace!
Advertisement
02-10-2008, 21:50   #62
Sea Devils
Closed Account

This is actually a decent site for looking at Old Galway pictures. Couldn't find any from the 80's or 90's but none the less found it interesting
02-10-2008, 22:46   #63
paconnors

smyths was in woodquay apos the car wash used to be a jet garage there aswell and before smyths was hughes bike shop, smyths started off in eglington st where matt o'flahertys is now, and apos smyths on eglington st beside the savoy was one fine takeaway called super burger
02-10-2008, 23:01   #64
awhir

Send a message via MSN to awhir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Devils View Post
This is actually a decent site for looking at Old Galway pictures. Couldn't find any from the 80's or 90's but none the less found it interesting
jesus look at the old bish school magazines , gona have a read through .. will probly find loads my m8's ould fellas
03-10-2008, 08:30   #65
kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by awhir View Post
jesus look at the old bish school magazines
He is missing a year or two, pretty sure it ran till about 92 before the issue that went to far.....Photo of 5 empty chairs captioned "The Pres Fan Club, Full attendance" classic.
Advertisement
03-10-2008, 11:13   #66
galvianlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
He is missing a year or two, pretty sure it ran till about 92 before the issue that went to far.....Photo of 5 empty chairs captioned "The Pres Fan Club, Full attendance" classic.
ah yes, i remember it well....

the whole editorial board lined up outside the office waiting for Bro Marcus to read them the riot act...that was my first year, the rest of my time in the bish went by without any resurgence....its demise was a great loss!
03-10-2008, 12:12   #67
kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvianlord View Post
ah yes, i remember it well....

the whole editorial board lined up outside the office waiting for Bro Marcus to read them the riot act...that was my first year, the rest of my time in the bish went by without any resurgence....its demise was a great loss!
“Lads would you ever just pick up the lihher!”
03-10-2008, 12:27   #68
serfboard

Do any of the schools in Galway have school magazines now?
03-10-2008, 12:40   #69
Robbo
Witchfinder General

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayos View Post
I have one here, I think it's the 1992 one. Must try and dig it out.

When I was doing my Leaving, a few fellow co-conspirators and I were in awe with the Bombshell and wanted to make something similar. The plan never got off the ground, sadly.
Advertisement
03-10-2008, 12:49   #70
kayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
I have one here, I think it's the 1992 one. Must try and dig it out.
Yup that would have been the last one I think, was in first year back then... Hard to remember back that far lol.

Think the issue of 92 burnt every bridge in terms of the chance of the students having a free reign on things again. The "year book" they replaced the bombshell with was no subsitute.
03-10-2008, 17:54   #71
ErnieBert

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfboard View Post
Do any of the schools in Galway have school magazines now?
St. Enda's have The Endapendent every year since the 80's
03-10-2008, 18:02   #72
Andrea B.

Early-70's. Does anybody remember the footpath grates on High St and Quay St where you could look down to basements?

I also have vivid memories of human sh*&% on same footpaths in Quay St early in the mornings........
03-10-2008, 22:30   #73
Hotwheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea B. View Post
Early-70's. Does anybody remember the footpath grates on High St and Quay St where you could look down to basements?

I also have vivid memories of human sh*&% on same footpaths in Quay St early in the mornings........
yep t'was same at the Cellar...Buses stopped there as well, Renmore, Merlin Park etc...

No forgetting the famous Chinese Restaurant across from St. Pats, they used to have a big tray of chipped potatoes left outside the kitchen door. And every dog that passed lifted da auld leg
There was a mega row there one night, when we were going to school in the morning the place was in bits...something to do with Salmon, or the lack of payment for same...That was around 1972-73 I think...

If I remember right it was 5P to get into the Savoy for a film on a sunday, the film used to roll over and start again, so ya just changed seats and made like ya only just came in...

Back then when the Exorcist played in the town hall they had the St Johns ambulance on standby, as some people fainted

And when Mandingo hit the Claddagh Palace there was a bunch of auld 1's outside saying the Rosary saying Ye'll all burn in Hell.
This was because a Black slave in the film was making merry with a white woman ...

Every now and then someone used to change the lettering outside the cinema to read something else. The most famous one being seven Brides for seven brothers, was changed to read Seven Rides for Seven brothers.. there were others, but not as good..

Incidentally going to the Townhall back then was fraught with danger, it was full of fleas

The last film I saw there was kelly's Heroes...I'm still scratching...

Anybody remember the year the Corrib froze over?? We were living in Woodquay at the time 1969-70 I think...We brought up great big chunks and had a Mega slide at the back of the Townhall

Back then it was safe to play in the Plotts, now its full of Drunks & Druggies, We used to get big cardboard boxes and slide down the hill , better than any big slide...

Biggest thing the happend back then was the Fire in Corbetts, started down in McDonaghs..Just about every firebrigade in the west was there, it was some fire. Every now and then a gas cylinder exploded and flew up into the sky...A few days later a wrecking Ball arrived and flattened Corbetts..
03-10-2008, 22:40   #74
skelliser

There was photos of that fire in the BOI at the bottom of eyre square, not sure where they are gone now that its closed, possibly moved to the BOI at the top of Eyre square.
Also there is an aerial photo of salthill from back in the early eightis in the BOI in salthill.
04-10-2008, 08:26   #75
Andrea B.

Quote:
Also there is an aerial photo of salthill from back in the early eightis in the BOI in salthill.
There is a lovely late-60's one on wall of that coffee/sandwich bar (will edit in name when I remember) beside Eddie Rockets in Wellpark Centre.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion