Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pictures and memories from old Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

"sizeable carpark at the back of Corbetts."

...and that was always known as Corbetts Yard. It had some building materials which Corbetts sold stored in it as well in old shed like buildings. You accessed the yard through Castle Street (now pedestrian entrance to Dunnes in Edward Square) or through Whitehall (where the back pedestrian entrance to Eyre Square Centre is now)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

malice_ wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the name of the bar that was on the ground floor (where Bar 903 is now)?

The Bentley (Great sandwich's :) )
    "sizeable carpark at the back of Corbetts."

...and that was always known as Corbetts Yard. It had some building materials which Corbetts sold stored in it as well in old shed like buildings. You accessed the yard through Castle Street (now pedestrian entrance to Dunnes in Edward Square) or through Whitehall (where the back pedestrian entrance to Eyre Square Centre is now)

Now that brings me back. Id kill for a photo. I remember the carpark was fairly half arsed and seem to be placed over the remains of a destroyed building.

Part of the destroyed building was the old City Wall, some of which is incorporated into the Eyre Square Centre now.

Another ruin there was part of an old military barracks (or castle) that Castle Street was named after.

Yet more destroyed/damaged buildings there were as a result of a huge fire in Corbetts in the early 70s (I think 1971) when Corbetts from their yard, out to what's now the Corbettcourt entrance on Williamsgate Street went up in flames destroying most of Corbetts and other shops too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Ah Taffees... the dogs, the arans, the smell of wee, the lipstick...people in retail have changed sooo much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Krieg wrote: »
    The Bentley (Great sandwich's :) )
    No, the Bentley nightclub became the Icon. Actually, now that I think about it some more, it's quite possible that there was no downstairs bar and it was all part of the nightclub.

Back in those days I rarely used to venture into town for a night out. Salthill was where it was at. Beers in O'Reillys and The Cottage followed by arguments trying to decide whether to go to The Castle, Vagabonds, The Oasis/Liquid or CJs :).

• Advertisement

No, the Bentley nightclub became the Icon. Actually, now that I think about it some more, it's quite possible that there was no downstairs bar and it was all part of the nightclub.

Back in those days I rarely used to venture into town for a night out. Salthill was where it was at. Beers in O'Reillys and The Cottage followed by arguments trying to decide whether to go to The Castle, Vagabonds, The Oasis/Liquid or CJs :).

...followed by either "food" in the Oasis itself or the Wimpy! Food heaven (when pissed of course):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 paddytheloaf

My aunt has photos of the fire at Farrah, i'll try and get them off her and post them.
    Someone a few pages back mentioned Keogh's shop in Corrib Park, well that was my grandmothers. Used to love family get togethers, adults in the kitchen havin a drink and all us kids eating all the sweets in the shop!

My dad worked in The Cellar from the late 60's untill the early 80's (was manager for a while also) I remember an old lad called Christy who used to take out his false teeth and rattle them off the bar counter to entertain everyone.
    I have a photo from 1980 of all the bar staff, if anyone wants a copy pm me and i'll sent you a copy.

Your Dad must be Vincent and Declan is your uncle (or visa versa)
    The old lad was Christy Haughey from Woodquay.....
    Some of the staff around then would have been.....

Sean Lenihan
    Johnny Joyce
    Declan Burke
    Paddy and Tommy Ivers
    Pat Derrick
    Frank Small
    Jurgen Gottche
    Jim Byrne
    Mick O'Donnell
    Gearoid Browne
    Andy from Donegal
    Joe O'Carroll (Salthill)
    Paddy King
    Albert
    Francie Higgins (DJ)

Would you please post the photograph...???

Hotwheels wrote: »
    And don't forget Mrs Powell and her horse...I think she ended up living in the Rahoon flats...

I remember going thru Corrib Park in the AM on my way home, the front door of a house I passed had a Horse tied to the bottom of the stairs...:D that was about 1980..

I've seen the pictures of the fire in Corbetts, brought back a lot of memories of the big event..back then as a young lad seeing so many fire engines was Mega...

Mrs. Powell's horse was called "Count" and was blind in one eye.
    He was tethered in The Swamp one day and some gob****es scared him enough to make him jump off the pier and break his legs.
    He was humanely put down and it all but killed Mrs. Powell....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Could some one tell me the name of the cafe that was on Castle Street heading to Corbett CarPark, it was right across from the side of the Treasure Crest.

• Advertisement

Could some one tell me the name of the cafe that was on Castle Street heading to Corbett CarPark, it was right across from the side of the Treasure Crest.

Do you mean on the corner there? Effectively part of the building that is now Treasure Chest?

I can't believe that I can't remember its name, but it was owned and run by Doyles who I think used to own the Odeon Hotel (I think where the office building Odeon House is on Eyre Square now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Your Dad must be Vincent and Declan is your uncle (or visa versa)
    The old lad was Christy Haughey from Woodquay.....
    Some of the staff around then would have been.....

Sean Lenihan
    Johnny Joyce
    Declan Burke
    Paddy and Tommy Ivers
    Pat Derrick
    Frank Small
    Jurgen Gottche
    Jim Byrne
    Mick O'Donnell
    Gearoid Browne
    Andy from Donegal
    Joe O'Carroll (Salthill)
    Paddy King
    Albert
    Francie Higgins (DJ)

Would you please post the photograph...???

Ya Vincent is my dad, used to love callin into The Cellar after mass! We'd (Sisters) find so much money on the ground from the night before, we thought we were rich if we found a pound :D

6255_1114797750644_1247948717_30411066_7597456_n.jpg

Ya Vincent is my dad, used to love callin into The Cellar after mass! We'd (Sisters) find so much money on the ground from the night before, we thought we were rich if we found a pound :D

6255_1114797750644_1247948717_30411066_7597456_n.jpg
    Great photo!!!!
    A couple of faces I'd forgotten...

Brendan Kavanagh (Where is HE now??)
    Des Moore
    Tom from Connemara

Taken by the fireplace downstairs.
    There used to be (and I think still is) a weird bloke that walked the streets of Galway looking for loose change...??
    He also did the pubs, the Cellar being one of his haunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thank you. I had completely forgotten about that guy with the monkey. This thread is memory lane heaven!! :):)

Wow, that monkey bit me in 1986 when I was on my holidays over here. Great memories, vicious little b*st*rd!

Great photo!!!!
    A couple of faces I'd forgotten...

Brendan Kavanagh (Where is HE now??)
    Des Moore
    Tom from Connemara

Taken by the fireplace downstairs.
    There used to be (and I think still is) a weird bloke that walked the streets of Galway looking for loose change...??
    He also did the pubs, the Cellar being one of his haunts.

Haven't a clue where Brendan is now, last we heard he was in Oranmore, Martin Mannion might know!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭An Capall Dubh

This isn't going back that far but I'm curious if anyone has the answer. Cuba nightclub was known as the Icon for a couple of years in the late 90s. Does anyone remember the name of the bar that was on the ground floor (where Bar 903 is now)? I was in Bar 903 last week and it came up in conversation and I couldn't remember.

Yep, it was called Rob Lee's!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 eamonnf

churchview wrote: »
    Plus, the story is the old nag died at the back of his house, had to be cut up to be taken through the house! He's a great man, one of the good ould shtock

I remember as a young lad as PJ cycled up to our house to get my father to help take the horse out of the front room. There were a few men involved. PJ used to keep the horse in the front room at night. How ironic it was that he failed to get a waste permit and had to stop his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 eamonnf

Ku Market in Ballybane where Nestors is now
    Lydon house bakery in westside - which is a business centre now
    The lydons bakery beside Roches Stores?
    The Lisheen used to be a great pub for breakfasts
    The Snug which was connected to Garavens (according to the Jonnie the barman at the time, it used to be for the women only - who were served through a hatch and the men got served in Garavans - a practice continued up to the early 70s?)

Will post others when I think of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Some scenes from the 1979 film, The North Sea Hijack. Starring Roger Moore. Some of the filming took place in Galway, more specifically the docks. Sorry for the quality but I was using print screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Dave_ODonnell1

Thanks for the pix I was an extra in that movie for the days, $20 per day...and the envy of all the lads in The Bish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

In no particular order!

Seamus Quirke Rd was new & huge!
    Monivea Rd was new & huge!
    Old blue prefab shop where Windsor motors are now (facing dual carraigeway)
    Tescos in Westside
    Dole Office in Claddagh
    Garda Station Eglinton St - bricks of which are in Hilltop Saltill
    Observer Wednesday. Richie (?) used to write about talkin to Nicholas in Garavans
    World cup Killorgans
    Del Rios
    Anywhere in Salthill (spoiled for choice & mentioned already)
    Crown Plate (?) High St for dinner
    Audience cheering good guy - Claddagh Palace
    Fleas - Town Hall
    Beach Hotel, Salthill
    The cobbler Lower Salthill
    Tree in middle of road - Devon Park

Could add more but gettin depressed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭galvianlord

trish23 wrote: »
    In no particular order!

Seamus Quirke Rd was new & huge!
    Monivea Rd was new & huge!
    Old blue prefab shop where Windsor motors are now (facing dual carraigeway)
    Tescos in Westside
    Dole Office in Claddagh
    Garda Station Eglinton St - bricks of which are in Hilltop Saltill
    Observer Wednesday. Richie (?) used to write about talkin to Nicholas in Garavans
    World cup Killorgans
    Del Rios
    Anywhere in Salthill (spoiled for choice & mentioned already)
    Crown Plate (?) High St for dinner
    Audience cheering good guy - Claddagh Palace
    Fleas - Town Hall
    Beach Hotel, Salthill
    The cobbler Lower Salthill
    Tree in middle of road - Devon Park

Could add more but gettin depressed!!

Think you might mean the Round Table on High St - you got gravy with everything, even the chicken curry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Anyone remember the Salthill Hotel getting bombed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭sam69

Yep, remember it well.

Now this is Galway way back. Check out the infamous Biddy Ward. Ah Galway had such brilliant characters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Here's a photo from the 'far' Rahoon flats looking towards the Innishannagh Park direction in March 1977
    6255_1113982290258_1247948717_30408779_6911445_n.jpg

The Claddagh Palace sometime in the early 80's when someone messed around with the lettering for the movies
    6255_1113982330259_1247948717_30408780_97483_n.jpg

I remember going here when it both the Estoria and The Claddagh Palace. I saw Jaws for 10p when it the former.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Those pics are great Gadfly, i remember seeing cows in them fields and the state of the footpath there when walking past towards rockfield

I just came across a yellowing full edition of the Advertiser 27 August 1992. If anyone wants this dusty nostalgia containing strange info such as Frank Fahey had to repeat his Leaving Cert., you could rent a room in a city centre apartment for £33pw (tv and electricity extra you understand), buy a one bed house on Henry St for £29.5k or a 3 bed in Balinfoyle for £27k, or what was happening in Branskys that weekend or browse the lots of 'one lady owner' ads for a 1981 ford fiesta.. PM me for collection in town before Fri.

also what happened to Richard, the guy who drew cartoons for the Advertiser for years?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

snubbleste wrote: »
    also what happened to Richard, the guy who drew cartoons for the Advertiser for years?

AFAIK, Sergei still does cartoon stuff for the Phoenix and he writes for the City Tribune under is own name, Richard Chapman.

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~lightbulb/Gallery.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭inisboffin

soundbyte wrote: »
    AFAIK, Sergei still does cartoon stuff for the Phoenix and he writes for the City Tribune under is own name, Richard Chapman.

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~lightbulb/Gallery.html

Indeed. Hidden Galway was such a treasure! Buy that man a pint if you see him in Neachtains (he's usually on his jungle-proof laptop) :)

snubbleste wrote: »
    Those pics are great Gadfly, i remember seeing cows in them fields and the state of the footpath there when walking past towards rockfield

I just came across a yellowing full edition of the Advertiser 27 August 1992. If anyone wants this dusty nostalgia containing strange info such as Frank Fahey had to repeat his Leaving Cert., you could rent a room in a city centre apartment for £33pw (tv and electricity extra you understand), buy a one bed house on Henry St for £29.5k or a 3 bed in Balinfoyle for £27k, or what was happening in Branskys that weekend or browse the lots of 'one lady owner' ads for a 1981 ford fiesta.. PM me for collection in town before Fri.

Doc Watsons A.K.A Branskys closed it's doors last night for the very last time, what'll become of all the bar flies? Can't say i'll miss the place really, was always good for a quick drink on Christmas Eve though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This just came to my head, heres some links to old De Danann footage, Neachtains pub looks identical. Some nice bits of photos, really old sepia tone ones from early twenteith century, illustrations and visual of old Galway from 1983.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQRheBNImxU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXi8iSF0Tao&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeqUuf-KqCE&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8hVd1j6TsE&feature=channel

A few things I remember in the early 90s, the Hibernian (Blue Note or the Forge??), another place besides the Harbour Bar (Dolores Keane bar) for scoring. The Jug of Punch in Lower Dominic Street, The Canal bar before it was renamed the Rosin Dubh. Montrose at the time was more like the future Rosin Dubh with the sub title of Club Raparee and sessions most afternoons and evenings I think. Other memories, Punchbag Theatre when it became a late night trad venue. The Quays before it was modernised, with just a bar and a larger lounge, Claddagh Ring (or was it the Galway Shawl) / Calico Jacks great sessions, I think this is now called Massimos. The fifties style diner cafe called Strawberry Fields in Cross Street, there was another one in Salthill, their steak salad sandwiches were the business.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement