Classical Civilization - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-09-2008, 14:14   #1
Jo O

Classical Civilization

I'm thinking about taking classical civilization in arts, can anyone tell me what its like?
Advertisement
14-09-2008, 14:33   #2
Ballisong

Check out this webcast from some of the staff, I found it helpful.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/faculties_de.../webcasts.html
14-09-2008, 17:27   #3
spinandscribble

Send a message via MSN to spinandscribble
prof brian arkins ftw. legend just wait for his 'sexual love'!!! stansbury, mr cheerful, one of nicest fella's thats ever taught me. Herring, great lecturer, always there for a chat if theres a problem and he's got a sense of humour.

I miss the classics already *sigh*
15-09-2008, 22:16   #4
Lockstep
Boondock Saint

I started it last year thinking it would be all Greek mythology, Roman warfare etc.

I was quickly relieved of that notion, far more about Classical culture.
just a heads up.
15-09-2008, 22:43   #5
leninbenjamin
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickoutthejams View Post
I started it last year thinking it would be all Greek mythology, Roman warfare etc.

I was quickly relieved of that notion, far more about Classical culture.
just a heads up.
would the clue not be in the name?
Advertisement
16-09-2008, 10:28   #6
Lockstep
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by leninbenjamin View Post
would the clue not be in the name?
Not really, I figured "civilization" would involve a lot on the importance of their military and religion, rather than plays and writing.
16-09-2008, 19:54   #7
spinandscribble

those come up in the other years.
18-09-2008, 08:51   #8
Lockstep
Boondock Saint

Aye, but a year of their culture wouldn't be much fun.

I thought it would be about their "civilization", y'know, expansion and rule etc.
20-09-2008, 18:33   #9
spinandscribble

depends on your definition of the word i guess. I do know the culture is very important in being able to understand the civilisation.
Advertisement
22-09-2008, 15:32   #10
medeame

Classic civ does not exist at NUIG

Quote:
Aye, but a year of their culture wouldn't be much fun.

I thought it would be about their "civilization", y'know, expansion and rule etc.
when dr herring got passed over for head of dept, altho he held acting head for 18 months, capably and wonderfully, a new guy named clark came in and the classics dept ceased almost.
all u get now is medievilism, nothing to do with 5th century Athens or the roman republic and empire.
dr peacock got dropped to, but went to history, so thankfully, you can still get this excellent hisorical content of classical civilisations if you chose history.

i do not beleive there is any classics anymore, Brian arkins is the last great classicist, and he retires next year. even stansbury only teaches medievil latin, again, nothing whatsoever to do with classical latin, past taught by now retired prof john madden, who was a gent and a scholar. Indeed. Herring, Peacock, Madden and Arkins were the last of the great classical teachers. What is left is a skellaton crew teaching medievilism and pretending it is classical civilisation.

my advice is take history, because, how on earth can the classics dept call poems of gilgamesh and medievil approx 300 to 600 AD latin anything whatsoever to do with classical era that would have been 800 - dark ages to 500 BC classical greek and 300 bc to mid 100 AD, julioclaudian era? It is a total disgrace that NUIG lets this dept do this, teach this and blatently abolish classic civilisations without consulting staff who gave years and dedication to the Classics dept, and without consulting students, especially last years final year and second year, who got this medievilism dumped on them.
Fancy doing 1st year foundation greek and roman, 2nd year greek then missing the roman empire and republic out!! ridiculous.
Now many final year students are having to leave for new universities to complete and MA, because how can you have classical civilisations without an ancient historian of this period and without a classical civilisations latinist of this important period

As for the beginning and very foundation of the classical period, 5th century Athens, time of Pericles and the Spartan, Greek wars, literature of sophocles, euripides etc, and the language and general ancient history of the Greeks, which is imperative to any classical studies, has been dropped altogether. Ancient Greece was the starting block, early history of homer and thucydides, battles with the Persian empire, the start of Hellenism with Alexandser the great - all gone!!!!!!

in short:
THERE IS NO CLASSIC CIVILISATIONS AT NUIG ANYMORE.

Last edited by medeame; 22-09-2008 at 16:04.
22-09-2008, 17:47   #11
Lockstep
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinandscribble View Post
depends on your definition of the word i guess. I do know the culture is very important in being able to understand the civilisation.
I figured the approach would be far more on the civilization: how people lived, social, political life etc, rather than the culture. For me, culture is a secondary aspect.
22-09-2008, 19:03   #12
spinandscribble

Quote:
Originally Posted by medeame View Post
when dr herring got passed over for head of dept, altho he held acting head for 18 months, capably and wonderfully, a new guy named clark came in and the classics dept ceased almost.
all u get now is medievilism, nothing to do with 5th century Athens or the roman republic and empire.
dr peacock got dropped to, but went to history, so thankfully, you can still get this excellent hisorical content of classical civilisations if you chose history.

i do not beleive there is any classics anymore, Brian arkins is the last great classicist, and he retires next year. even stansbury only teaches medievil latin, again, nothing whatsoever to do with classical latin, past taught by now retired prof john madden, who was a gent and a scholar. Indeed. Herring, Peacock, Madden and Arkins were the last of the great classical teachers. What is left is a skellaton crew teaching medievilism and pretending it is classical civilisation.

my advice is take history, because, how on earth can the classics dept call poems of gilgamesh and medievil approx 300 to 600 AD latin anything whatsoever to do with classical era that would have been 800 - dark ages to 500 BC classical greek and 300 bc to mid 100 AD, julioclaudian era? It is a total disgrace that NUIG lets this dept do this, teach this and blatently abolish classic civilisations without consulting staff who gave years and dedication to the Classics dept, and without consulting students, especially last years final year and second year, who got this medievilism dumped on them.
Fancy doing 1st year foundation greek and roman, 2nd year greek then missing the roman empire and republic out!! ridiculous.
Now many final year students are having to leave for new universities to complete and MA, because how can you have classical civilisations without an ancient historian of this period and without a classical civilisations latinist of this important period

As for the beginning and very foundation of the classical period, 5th century Athens, time of Pericles and the Spartan, Greek wars, literature of sophocles, euripides etc, and the language and general ancient history of the Greeks, which is imperative to any classical studies, has been dropped altogether. Ancient Greece was the starting block, early history of homer and thucydides, battles with the Persian empire, the start of Hellenism with Alexandser the great - all gone!!!!!!

in short:
THERE IS NO CLASSIC CIVILISATIONS AT NUIG ANYMORE.
just so everyones aware, arkins was on a sabatical last year and has will returnthis year. at least thats what he told us he'd be doing.

Clarke is taking the department in a new direction which most of the classical world has been doing for the last few years, thats what i was warned.

i don't like it either but its believed by most that the nuig classical dept, due to the dropping numbers, are being made into a ancient studies course along with celtic civ. sad now

and everyone misses peacock best lecturer ever.

Last edited by spinandscribble; 22-09-2008 at 19:07.
22-09-2008, 19:05   #13
spinandscribble

Quote:
I figured the approach would be far more on the civilization: how people lived, social, political life etc, rather than the culture. For me, culture is a secondary aspect.
that definition of civilisation would be my definition of culture. its all the same to me
Thanks from:
22-09-2008, 20:18   #14
Lockstep
Boondock Saint

Quote:
and everyone misses peacock best lecturer ever.
He's in history now.
Great man, comes into the lecture with a gladius
"Right, this is my overcompensating Freudian yoke"

"Sexual deviance, powerlust and avarice....but enough about me, let's get onto the Roman Empire.

Quote:
that definition of civilisation would be my definition of culture. its all the same to me
It'd differ for me. I'd view the army/religion etc as aspects which would influence culture but would be the backbone of the civilization.
22-09-2008, 20:26   #15
brianthebard

I disagree kotj, what you are describing is military history, when we talk about politics, society, etc, as a single entity, we call it culture.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion