General Retro Discussion - Page 542 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

15-06-2010, 00:13   #8116
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
Actually the 3D castlevania has nothing to do with Kojima. It is being developed in Spain and was originally an original IP until Konami decided to slap Castlevania on it. It's basically like a 'Quentin Tarantino presents' film except it's more like Kojima Productions presents. The spanish guys make the game, Kojima productions says it's fine, slaps their name on the box and the idiot metal gear fanboys (they did like MGS4 afterall) lap it up despite ignoring the stone cold classics Zone of Enders 2, Boktai and Lunar Knights which really were from Kojima.

At least Iga is on board for this one. He was the one keeping the Castlevania franchise on track and resurrecting it with Symphony of the Night.
A few of us were just talking about the whole 'Presents...' thing on films last night, it's a really annoying marketing ploy that is indeed quite misleading. I could have sworn Kojima was on board as a producer or 'creative consultant' but as you say it's probably quite a small input he's having into the overall production.

Symphony of the Night remains one of my favourite games. Shameless rip off of Metroid exploration type gameplay in many ways, but put it's own stamp on it and integrated the core Castlevania gameplay expertly. Shadow Complex then went and ripped both off, and worked wonders again So if the new game sticks to the same 'huge map slowly unveiled with each new power up' gameplay I for one won't complain in the slightest. Must get around to the DS games too, I hear they are wonderful too - have only played Dracula X on the PSP.
Advertisement
15-06-2010, 00:31   #8117
Retr0gamer

The DS and GBA games are fantastic and well worth checking out. Shameless Super Metroid clones, but damn good ones. Kojima is down as creative consultant. However the interviews with the lead developer says that they just send builds off to Konami to get their stamp of approval and he has spoken to Kojima twice on the phone and listened to some ideas from his. To be honest from what I've seen from documentaries on the MGS games and from Jeremy Blaustein podcast who had a major falling out with him, Kojima basically provides the story and makes sure the team is working their ass off. His team is what comes up with the gameplay and he usually does brainstorming sessions and lets the team come up with gameplay ideas while he takes the credit. The MGS series is rife with people taking credit that isn't their due. Harry Gregson Williams has been listed as the composer since MGS2 however he only provides the main theme to each game. All the rest of the music is provided by a in house konami composers but mostly Norihiko Hibino
all of which are far better musicians than gregson-williams.
15-06-2010, 12:26   #8118
NeoKubrick

Quote:
To be honest from what I've seen from documentaries on the MGS games and from Jeremy Blaustein podcast who had a major falling out with him, Kojima basically provides the story and makes sure the team is working their ass off. His team is what comes up with the gameplay and he usually does brainstorming sessions and lets the team come up with gameplay ideas while he takes the credit. The MGS series is rife with people taking credit that isn't their due. Harry Gregson Williams has been listed as the composer since MGS2 however he only provides the main theme to each game. All the rest of the music is provided by a in house konami composers but mostly Norihiko Hibino all of which are far better musicians than gregson-williams.
Retr0, you're not old enough to be a devout Catholic, but not young enough to shed the zealot tendencies of old. Just because HardcoreGaming101 published an article about Jeremy Blaustein in which a bitter Blaustein criticizes Kojima doesn't mean it's gospel or that you should read from it as it were a sermon. I've watched the documentaries, read the interviews and keynotes and what Kojima strikes me as is the same with Miyamoto, Kubrick or any great director: he attracts intelligent people to work for him, and he nurtures their intelligence (it's kind of obvious that if I worked with Miyamoto for a year day-in day-out, I'm going to learn a lot about game design, even if I don't speak or understand Japanese!). The idea notebook was proposed by Kojima and the assistant director, Matsuhana, and the doc cites the two prominent ideas used from these notebooks: spraying a bomb to defuse it (note: the idea, not the gameplay sequence) and peering around a corner to get a better view. I'm sure the game directed itself after that.

And if you had watched the MGS2 doc, you'd notice that Harry Gregson-Williams talks at length about composing music thathas to change suddenly. Gregson-Williams's involvement in MGS2, MGS3 and MGS4 is well-documented, and irrelevant of the literature supporting his work on the series, all you would have to consult to find out his involvement would be the released original soundtracks attributing and citing his work: MGS2, MGS3, MGS4.
15-06-2010, 13:08   #8119
Retr0gamer

I'm the zealot when you go about preaching Hideo Kojima to be a genius? Also I'm probably older than you as well. I never said Kojima was a bad director or producer either, it's obvious he is and really does get the most out of his team. Kojima taking credit for other peoples ideas also isn't just confined to him, Miyamoto as an example gets a lot of credit but you can be sure that his team is the one coming up with a lot of the ideas as well. Those documentaries you are talking about are all produced by Konami so are bound to show their superstar producer in a good light. I also never said the notebook method was a bad method of game design, I have a similar system with actors whenever I direct an amateur play. I'm also not basing anything onthe HG101 article but the excellent pushtotalk podcast that featured Jeremy Blaustein and other reports I heard. Harry Gregson Williams does talk at length about videogame music and how it should change but all he really does is talk. There's also reports of Norihiko Hibino complaining that HGW got top billing in the MGS games as composer when he did the majority of the music and he only did some of the main themes. Also have you actually looked at those wiki links? It pretty much shows that HGW only composed the main themes with the majority of the other music by different composers. Also those official soundtracks don't even have half of the total music in the games.

Don't be taking what the videogame industry says at face value particularly notany japanese publishers and developers who are notoriously secretive.
15-06-2010, 14:53   #8120
NeoKubrick

Quote:
I'm the zealot when you go about preaching Hideo Kojima to be a genius? Also I'm probably older than you as well. I never said Kojima was a bad director or producer either, it's obvious he is and really does get the most out of his team. Kojima taking credit for other peoples ideas also isn't just confined to him, Miyamoto as an example gets a lot of credit but you can be sure that his team is the one coming up with a lot of the ideas as well. Those documentaries you are talking about are all produced by Konami so are bound to show their superstar producer in a good light. I also never said the notebook method was a bad method of game design, I have a similar system with actors whenever I direct an amateur play. I'm also not basing anything onthe HG101 article but the excellent pushtotalk podcast that featured Jeremy Blaustein and other reports I heard. Harry Gregson Williams does talk at length about videogame music and how it should change but all he really does is talk. There's also reports of Norihiko Hibino complaining that HGW got top billing in the MGS games as composer when he did the majority of the music and he only did some of the main themes. Also have you actually looked at those wiki links? It pretty much shows that HGW only composed the main themes with the majority of the other music by different composers. Also those official soundtracks don't even have half of the total music in the games.

Don't be taking what the videogame industry says at face value particularly notany japanese publishers and developers who are notoriously secretive.
I stated Kojima was a great director, not a genius, and this is substantiated by the games he has created, and how they were designed. I cited Miyamoto to illustrate that though other designers at EAD create the games, it is through Miyamoto's influence, nurturing, and management that they are able to, and if you were to ask any of designers at EAD whom they respect as a game designer the most, it doesn't take a genius to predict the answer. Kojima is much more involved in the production of his games (usually one at a time) than Miyamoto who generally oversees various projects.

You originally stated that Kojima provides the story and the team provides the gameplay; there's a difference between that and claiming he takes credit for other people's ideas. Firstly, what does the latter mean in a collaborative environment? If you cannot cite an instance where Kojima specifically takes credit or ownership for an idea that was not his, then that's an empty claim made by you. If it were the case that Kojima was taking credit for other people's ideas and Konami protect their "Superstar Producer" (difference between 'protect' and 'hype'), then the existence of the material relating to the idea notebooks is a contradiction. If you're going to use the documentaries as evidence then it's hypocritical and contradictory to discredit them when others use them as evidence.

Secondly, there is absolutely no indication that Kojima only provides the story and his team, the gameplay, other than what you've read/heard from a bitter Blaustein, and there are various interviews and keynotes from Kojima in which support that he has a major influence on the game design. I'm not going by at face-value the industry's comments, but by the large amount of material (interviews, keynotes and docs). However, you're taking at face-value Blaustein's comments (which read: bitterness) and anonymous reports.

You claimed that Harry Gregson-Williams only composed the main theme for the games, and I corrected you, because he composed more than just the main theme for all three games. I know who composed the music for the series, and cited the appropriate links for you; therefore, it's silly to ask me have I looked at them after I linked the correct information.

Yes, you're older than me, but I seldom understand what relevance that has to your devotion to HG101 articles or devotion to whichever games they decide to push.
Advertisement
15-06-2010, 15:19   #8121
o1s1n

Hang on a second lads, I just have to get some popcorn.

Okay now you may continue.
15-06-2010, 19:14   #8122
Dark Savior

15-06-2010, 21:03   #8123
Retr0gamer

Alright lads I think you's may need to sit down before reading the next statement:

The Goldeneye remake doesn't look half bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoKubrick View Post
You originally stated that Kojima provides the story and the team provides the gameplay; there's a difference between that and claiming he takes credit for other people's ideas.
Just remembered where I got this information on the way home; Retronauts. So basically I got it from Jeremy Parish, Ray Barnholt and Shane Battenhausen, 3 of the most respected videogame journalists. Also those konami 'documentaries' are more propaganda and marketing than real documentaries.

Quote:
Secondly, there is absolutely no indication that Kojima only provides the story and his team, the gameplay, other than what you've read/heard from a bitter Blaustein.
Actually Blaustein was just bitter that Kojima hadn't a clue how videogame localisation works and was trying to interfer when it was obvious Kojima has no grasp of the english language (just look up what J.U.N.K.E.R. originally stood for before Blaustein did his best with it). He actually admired how Kojima worked and his abilities other than this. It's not only him, the new localiser has stated publically on her blog about Kojima's work practices and how the MGS scripts are the worst written scripts she has ever localised.

Quote:
You claimed that Harry Gregson-Williams only composed the main theme for the games, and I corrected you, because he composed more than just the main theme for all three games. I know who composed the music for the series, and cited the appropriate links for you; therefore, it's silly to ask me have I looked at them after I linked the correct information.
No you didn't correct me. If you look at what HGW is credited in your link for on the albums it's just a handful of cinematic tracks and main themes. The majority of the OST tracks and tracks that don't appear on the OST are composed by Konami in house staff. Also all the dynamic music is composed and programmed by konami composers. HGW can talk all he wants about dynamic music in those 'documentaries' but he basically only provided cinematics music.

Quote:
Yes, you're older than me, but I seldom understand what relevance that has to your devotion to HG101 articles or devotion to whichever games they decide to push.
Well why wouldn't I like the articles on HG101. They are far better researched and written than any other retrospectives on the internet despite not being done by paid journalism. It's probably the highest quality writing on the subject of videogames and it's a fabulous site with forums filled with people that really know what they are talking about. Even Retrogamer magazine and Retronauts on 1up constantly reference them and sing their praises. Why wouldn't I be interested in their articles considering the effort the writers go to to detail everything and get in contact and do interviews with original developers?
15-06-2010, 21:04   #8124
Jack burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1s1n View Post
Hang on a second lads, I just have to get some popcorn.

Okay now you may continue.
Its ok man, I brought popcorn, revels and stinger bars ( vintage 1996 ones ) for everyone.

Let me get a good seat for this
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-06-2010, 21:41   #8125
Dark Savior

Quote:
Alright lads I think you's may need to sit down before reading the next statement:

The Goldeneye remake doesn't look half bad.
Damn it,I knew I used the surprised cat picture to early
15-06-2010, 23:04   #8126
monkeyfudge

Send a message via ICQ to monkeyfudge Send a message via AIM to monkeyfudge Send a message via MSN to monkeyfudge Send a message via Skype™ to monkeyfudge
Yay. The Toys & Boardgames forum is up and running!
Thanks from:
16-06-2010, 00:41   #8127
johnny_ultimate
Production Model EVA-02

Speaking of Hideo Kojima, the working title for "his" 3DS game is great:

Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D "The Naked Sample"
16-06-2010, 00:43   #8128
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfudge View Post
Yay. The Toys & Boardgames forum is up and running!
Finally! Somewhere to talk about my favouritest board game ever. Mall Madness!

I blame it for my shopping habits =/

'grats on the modship btw
Thanks from:
16-06-2010, 01:50   #8129
monkeyfudge

Send a message via ICQ to monkeyfudge Send a message via AIM to monkeyfudge Send a message via MSN to monkeyfudge Send a message via Skype™ to monkeyfudge
Damn it.

Picked up Mario Galaxy today. Haven't used the Wii in a long, long time. Just getting a blank screen now though... boo!
16-06-2010, 15:22   #8130
o1s1n

Did you make sure to plug in the scart cable?

I'd be suprised if it had crapped out on you for lack of use. They seem like hardy things.

If lack of use does this, well..a lot of people out there are going to have broken Wiis.
Thread Closed