Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

13-09-2008, 03:36   #46
Azza

Send a message via ICQ to Azza
I think all those games Retro mentioned at the end of his post have pretty much perfect emulation on mame.

Those games I would also love to own and do intend to obtain those roms legally eventually but I don't think I go as far as getting a space comsuming arcade machine. I would still use name and then use some hori sticks with modification and maybe a tracker ball controller for marbel madness the first game with stero sound!

For the moment my priority is building my back catalogue of the great PC games. Since the format has been around so bloody long its going take a fair while to get them all legit.

X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter Series is first on my hit list.
Advertisement
13-09-2008, 09:25   #47
appleidog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post

Anyway when :I start making some decent money I know I'll start collecting. I'm not actually that pushed about the condition I get my games in as long as they work. I by my games not to admire but to actually play. When I do start getting money first up is an arcade machine with SuperStreet Fighter 2 Turbo, R-type, Bubble Bobble and Smaurai Showdown 2
Well if ya want to get into Arcade machines just remember when you do get SSF2 Turbo these are the colors of the cps2

Green cartridge :Japanese
Blue Cartridge: American
now with these both boards can be swapped
then there is Grey: Asian but is the same as american so boxer balrog is still the boxer instead of claws

then there is yellow that is Rental
and the exclusive Black 1 board cps2

Also i suggest that you get a phoneixed model basically cps2 had a fault with it that it would literally commit suicide on its self after a while.

With Bubble bobble you have a few choices you could go for a taito f3 with the newer ones on damn, nice console a bit like the Mvs or the original but then you would need a jamma > to Taito converter.
13-09-2008, 09:30   #48
appleidog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azza View Post
Those games I would also love to own and do intend to obtain those roms legally eventually but I don't think I go as far as getting a space comsuming arcade machine. I would still use name and then use some hori sticks with modification and maybe a tracker ball controller for marbel madness the first game with stero sound!
if you want to use hori sticks and are tied for space you could get a device called a Supergun It's basically a consolised ARcade machine, you can stick arcade sticks in, but still use Jamma boards.

Ive got one there handy for when your round a mates house or Arcade distrubtors to just check it all works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperGun
13-09-2008, 21:27   #49
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

hey everyone

i went retro shopping today

i rang a few places about the GB micro, but nowhere had them

but i went to the kiosk in moore st mall and the guy was there (i went there twice before and he wast there) hes a very nice guy, he doesnt have any consoles in at the moment, he just sold his last snes last week, but he said he should have the internet up and running in the kiosk next week so that if you want anything, he can check ebay and places and get it for you, i also picked up mario party advance for the gba for €6 aswell

i was also in game on dawson street where i got project gotham 1 and 2 for the xbox and super mario sunshine for the gamecube for €15, they have a fairly decent selection of xb and gc games there and there all 3 for €15, plus a few of the gc games are still factory sealed

just thought id share that with you all
13-09-2008, 21:31   #50
CiDeRmAn

Sorry but the whole emulation thing, just doesn't do it for me, it never, ever captures the flavour of the original game on the original hardware, and I'm including MAME here, even if you have a MAME upright cabinet at home it still lacks the arcade surroundings, the knowledge that this game is costing money per play, that the stock of funds to play it are dwindling and so on, at home with infinite credits, not the same, difference the same as between a couple of cans at home or a night out.

The consoles are relatively cheap now, as are the games, in the main, where home machines are concerned you can pick them up with games for as little as a new next gen release.

The other thing to remember is, if you are a normal gamer, you will probably have a folder of every game ever made for the emulator you are using, and while this can seem ideal, it does, in fact, leave you with too much choice, and a whole lot of great games that will never get more than a few minutes play before you are on to the next one.

Same with piracy, you DL or buy a load of images to play on your chipped machine, only to find you don't play them at all. But thats a different discussion.

Buying actual hardware and the games you really want to play lets you concentrate on the game at hand, the experience therein and maybe even let you finish it without being distracted.

Of course there is always an exception, and where machines take simply ages to load, Speccy and C64 step forward, or need multiloading disks, see the Amiga and ST, I see no problem in sacrificing authenticity for the instant load from an image file.
Advertisement
14-09-2008, 01:09   #51
Azza

Well everyones different, I can't imagine that anyone who would build an arcade machine for his home would then have a system in place where he really needs to spend money to keep playing and then not get that money back, so unless you go to a real arcade your not going get that experience. Besides isn't that the reason arcades died off, because they where poor value for money. What you could realiticly do is set a limit of credits you have to roughly the same amount you had when you played those games originally in the arcades. Its really a matter of self constraint. But with games like Metal Slug in exsistence realisticly speaking unless your a freak or God you ain't going be seeing the end to those games unless you got alot of credits.

As long as the game is well emulated and the controls are close enough to the arcade originals I have no problem with emulation.

As for having too much choice, well again its a matter of self control. If its an arcade game I really like and there is only a few I will play it through to the end. Every so often particularly if its two player game I'll come back for those maybe dozen or so arcade game I really loved.
14-09-2008, 02:17   #52
o1s1n

Quote:
Well everyones different, I can't imagine that anyone who would build an arcade machine for his home would then have a system in place where he really needs to spend money to keep playing and then not get that money back, so unless you go to a real arcade your not going get that experience. Besides isn't that the reason arcades died off, because they where poor value for money.
You could turn freeplay off and give the key to the money box to someone else, only to be opened once every few months. I was considering doing this and using it as a giant piggy bank. But then decided not to once I (Very quickly) ran out of change.

Quote:
What you could realiticly do is set a limit of credits you have to roughly the same amount you had when you played those games originally in the arcades. Its really a matter of self constraint. But with games like Metal Slug in exsistence realisticly speaking unless your a freak or God you ain't going be seeing the end to those games unless you got alot of credits.
That's what I've started doing myself. Can now get through the first three missions in Metal Slug X on one credit. Was quite proud of myself

Quote:
As long as the game is well emulated and the controls are close enough to the arcade originals I have no problem with emulation.
I suppose it's just down to what the person gets out of it. Obviously you're in it purely to play and don't get a buzz out of collecting and owning the actual things. For some of us that's half the fun.
14-09-2008, 21:08   #53
Azza

Quote:
That's what I've started doing myself. Can now get through the first three missions in Metal Slug X on one credit. Was quite proud of myself
Your a freak then

But when you get through 1-6 plus X and the Wii and DS only games plus the new Metal Slug Zero (its a MMO ...dear god why!) on one credit then I will be impressed and I will buy a round of beer for you and a friend of your choice.
I will double it to 2 rounds if you can beat "I wanna be the guy" with one life.

Quote:
I suppose it's just down to what the person gets out of it. Obviously you're in it purely to play and don't get a buzz out of collecting and owning the actual things. For some of us that's half the fun.
I do like collecting and playing games from a software perspective but I'm not to fussed about hardware end as long as the game plays the same as it should.
15-09-2008, 00:39   #54
Retr0gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiDeRmAn View Post
Sorry but the whole emulation thing, just doesn't do it for me, it never, ever captures the flavour of the original game on the original hardware, and I'm including MAME here, even if you have a MAME upright cabinet at home it still lacks the arcade surroundings, the knowledge that this game is costing money per play, that the stock of funds to play it are dwindling and so on, at home with infinite credits, not the same, difference the same as between a couple of cans at home or a night out.
I'd definitely say that emulation can't give you the feeling of an arcade setting with the real cabinets but these days arcades like we knew don't exist anymore. Gone are the days of epic winner stays on SF2 matches with people crowding the machine or going into an arcade with a cup of change for simpsons arcade and having a load of randomers join you until you get through the whole thing.

Quote:
Well everyones different, I can't imagine that anyone who would build an arcade machine for his home would then have a system in place where he really needs to spend money to keep playing and then not get that money back, so unless you go to a real arcade your not going get that experience. Besides isn't that the reason arcades died off, because they where poor value for money. What you could realiticly do is set a limit of credits you have to roughly the same amount you had when you played those games originally in the arcades. Its really a matter of self constraint. But with games like Metal Slug in exsistence realisticly speaking unless your a freak or God you ain't going be seeing the end to those games unless you got alot of credits.
I'd always limit myself to 1 credit or on particularly tough games 3 credits. I would credit feed to see the game the whole way through but after that I'd challenge myself.

Also Metal Slug isn't all that tough to 1 credit. I've gotten to mission 4 when I played it a lot on one credit and I'd say if I applied myself for a month I'd do it no problem.

Now 1 crediting Ghouls n' Ghosts, that was a massive achievement for me

If I bought an arcade machine I'd only play it 1 credit at a time. Even in the arcades it was a false economy to credit feed. You could play through the first few stages again or get your ass handed to you with in the next 20 seconds of a stage you didn't know
Advertisement
15-09-2008, 08:28   #55
CiDeRmAn

I'd be happy to simply finish Ikaruga on the GC.

Which is another topic of interest to me,
When does a system become "retro"?

I mean, we all accept the Saturn, Megadrive, Snes and N64 are now retro consoles, but when will the GC, Xbox and PS2 join that pantheon of console milestones?

Does the DC qualify as a retro console, even though there are still shooters like Karous and Border Down being released for it?

Any ideas?
15-09-2008, 09:59   #56
o1s1n

Quote:
I mean, we all accept the Saturn, Megadrive, Snes and N64 are now retro consoles, but when will the GC, Xbox and PS2 join that pantheon of console milestones?
Not all of us! There's no way I'd consider anything after 16-bit retro. They're just too new, fancy and 3 dimensional. Perhaps the n64 uses retro hardware with the cartridges...but the content of the games isn't.

I suppose it's really all down to a persons age. I'm sure a 14 year old now would play a ps1 game and recoil at the horror.
15-09-2008, 16:46   #57
CiDeRmAn

Well, I guess it's like those who lived their teenage years in the 80's like me, Big Country and New Order don't sound retro at all, but to a younger listener, say someone who turned 15 in '99, they probably seem quite dated, perhaps the same goes for videogames.

Perhaps as a gamer who remembers pretty much every piece of gaming tech as a new device at sometime, I don't see them as "old hat", and still see them as relevant.
However to some newcomers to the genre, perhaps the Snes, PSone and even now the PS2 seem retro compared to the machines they now own, perhaps their 360/PS3, their DS/PSP is the first piece of gaming hardware they have ever owned, and hence all previous machines seem laughable.

To those of us at this a while though, there seems to be a subgroup who cherish cartridges and CD Rom, the N64 surely qualifies as a Retro console, given it's age, over 13 years now, and the pioneering software on it, I don't think the use of the z-axis should preclude it from entry to the retro gaming hall of fame, similarly 2D gaming doesn't preclude a game or it's host machine from being current.

I see the PS2 and it's contemperaries as current, the gen before that, retro.

Hey, maybe we need a new classification, Vintage!
RetrOgamer would have to change his name to VintagEgamer, not quite so catchy though!
15-09-2008, 16:52   #58
Atavan-Halen
He Touched My Breast!!

Quote:
I'd be happy to simply finish Ikaruga on the GC.

Which is another topic of interest to me,
When does a system become "retro"?

its hard to say really, i mean were on the 7th generation now and the 3rd and 4th generations (NES, SNES, MegaDrive etc...) would be considered retro, so if you say 3 generations before it becomes retro, then the GC, Xbox, Ps2 and DC would become retro at the 9th generation, however, its also down to the person whether they themselves consider it retro, im only 16 so i would consider the ps1 retro, because i was only 5 or 6 when it came out, however for most of you, you would remember the NES and all those great systems so they would be retro to you

also, you could consider it retro if they stop making games for it, however that wouldnt make sense if they stopped making games for the wii tomorrow

hope that made sense to all of you!
15-09-2008, 17:12   #59
o1s1n

Quote:

Hey, maybe we need a new classification, Vintage!
I've heard that being thrown about already actually. Although more so in reference to 70s/80s machines.

70/early 80's = vintage.
late 80's to end of cartridge = retro.

To be honest though I'm not big on the use of such terminology. (Well maybe vintage, it's a little less 'faddish') Whenever I hear people say 'Retrogaming' I cringe. I cringe even more when I hear it in reference to consoles which are around the 10 year mark.

Good games, like good books, are timeless. You don't refer to reading classics as 'retro-reading'...or something. I bet there's a better analogy out there somewhere
15-09-2008, 18:43   #60
appleidog

the gamecube dreamcast, and xbox/gameboy advance are all retro. the ps2 is tittering but because it is still in main supply it wouldnt be.
Thread Closed