Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cloud Cuckooland
Has anyone actually read the book? As in, the Gregory Maguire book, not the libretto???
I read it a few years ago before I ever got in to the musical and I have to say, it's one of the more bizarre novels I've ever read. It's very dark and not at all child (or even teen) friendly. For example:
-Spoiler: The Time Dragon shows the munchkins some very explicit scenes
- Nessarose has no arms, and she's as pink as Elphaba is green
- While at Shiz, Elphaba, Galinda, Fiyero and several others go to a place called the Philosophy Club, where one of their friends has sex with a Tiger
- Madame Morrible has Dr. Dillamond murdered. It's this that spurs Galinda to change the pronunciation of her name.
- Fiyero is married to a different character altogether (Sarima), but has an affair with Elphaba. Oh, and his body is covered in blue diamond tattoos. When he's murdered, Elphaba goes to live with his wife and kids in his castle.
- She kills one of his kids
- Elphaba does, in fact, die at the end of the book after Dorothy throws the water over her.
- Nessarose's slippers are actually made of silver glass beads, not rubies
So, as you can see, it differs in some major ways from the show!
Last edited by fonpokno; 09-09-2008 at 10:36.