Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2008, 21:03   #1
Notatoxford

Pharmacist salary?

Does anyone here know what pharmacists get payed in Ireland?Does it increase much as you go on or does it say pretty static after pre reg.
Advertisement
26-08-2008, 23:37   #2
anotherlostie

I don't know what it is but anecdotally, it is a good deal less than 3 years ago. There are still a lot of pharmacists migrating to Ireland due to the higher wages here than they would get at home, and also pharmacy has been hit by the HSE this year, and inevitably this is going to lead to reductions in the profitability of pharmacies. This will then lead to a cutback in opening hours and places with 2 pharmacists will become less common (despite the shorter hours making things busier), so fewer pharmacists will be needed.

Pharmacy used to be a cash cow, but as Ireland moves towards the UK model of the State paying for more and more of the drugs bill, expect the country to become a replica of over there with Boots and AN Others controlling vast swathes of the pharmacies, and paying as they see fit.
27-08-2008, 23:15   #3
Notatoxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherlostie View Post
I don't know what it is but anecdotally, it is a good deal less than 3 years ago. There are still a lot of pharmacists migrating to Ireland due to the higher wages here than they would get at home, and also pharmacy has been hit by the HSE this year, and inevitably this is going to lead to reductions in the profitability of pharmacies. This will then lead to a cutback in opening hours and places with 2 pharmacists will become less common (despite the shorter hours making things busier), so fewer pharmacists will be needed.

Pharmacy used to be a cash cow, but as Ireland moves towards the UK model of the State paying for more and more of the drugs bill, expect the country to become a replica of over there with Boots and AN Others controlling vast swathes of the pharmacies, and paying as they see fit.
Thank you for your post.Does anyone here know what pharmacists in Ireland earn at the moment?I find it very hard to believe that all of the 90 odd people who have viewed this thread have no idea how much they earn...
28-08-2008, 20:48   #4
bleg

not too sure, in a hospital you'd be looking at a starting salary from 40-50k i think. in a community pharmacy it's more but i think the days are gone when pharmacists start on at least 70k
29-08-2008, 00:00   #5
Notatoxford

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleg View Post
not too sure, in a hospital you'd be looking at a starting salary from 40-50k i think. in a community pharmacy it's more but i think the days are gone when pharmacists start on at least 70k
Fock,thats not fair and it certainly wasn't part of the deal!
Advertisement
29-08-2008, 15:10   #6
scanlant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notatoxford View Post
Fock,thats not fair and it certainly wasn't part of the deal!
what's not fair? is it the salary difference between community and hospital?
30-08-2008, 11:12   #7
ZYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notatoxford View Post
Does anyone here know what pharmacists get payed in Ireland?Does it increase much as you go on or does it say pretty static after pre reg.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/...rmacist/Salary
01-09-2008, 16:31   #8
amjon

Thats pretty solid,thank god the last few years of sh1te in the uk are going to pay off.
02-09-2008, 12:09   #9
headtotoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjon View Post
Thats pretty solid,thank god the last few years of sh1te in the uk are going to pay off.
Note of Warning: There are hundreds of Irish UK-trained Pharmacists qualifying now. New Irish schools coming on stream as well. There is a lot of evidence that Pharmacist jobs are getting hard to come by -much depends on the outcome of the Hickey case (judgement due this month).

Bear in mind that many employers in Ireland would prefer someone Irish trained who knows the complicated drug schemes etc.

Many friends of mine (Uk trained) are finding it difficult to get a job in Ireland.
Advertisement
02-09-2008, 14:35   #10
amjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtotoe View Post
Note of Warning: There are hundreds of Irish UK-trained Pharmacists qualifying now. New Irish schools coming on stream as well. There is a lot of evidence that Pharmacist jobs are getting hard to come by -much depends on the outcome of the Hickey case (judgement due this month).

Bear in mind that many employers in Ireland would prefer someone Irish trained who knows the complicated drug schemes etc.

Many friends of mine (Uk trained) are finding it difficult to get a job in Ireland.
I guess I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.
02-09-2008, 16:55   #11
headtotoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjon View Post
I guess I'll have to burn that bridge when I come to it.
So long as you know It's no longer the land of (Pharmacy)

milk and honey!
24-03-2009, 18:13   #12
wexhurdler

The survey found that the average full-time salary of €73,000 for a Dublin pharmacist was forecast to fall 27 per cent to €53,000 by 2010

I've just quoted that from the post.ie website.. referring to the HSE cut backs in the news today.. Does this mean that these salaries will stay at 53000 from 2010 and never return to the average 73000 earned at present??
24-03-2009, 22:45   #13
Nonoperational

Starting salary now 45-50k euro. supervising pharmacist 55-60k (need a few years experience).3 years ago you'd start on 70k. Supervising 80-85k.
01-04-2009, 15:48   #14
segaBOY
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpf101 View Post
Starting salary now 45-50k euro. supervising pharmacist 55-60k (need a few years experience).3 years ago you'd start on 70k. Supervising 80-85k.
It will fall further-a constant stream of Pharmacists will be still coming over from the UK in their vast numbers with the two new schools of pharmacy adding to the employment market where there is reduction in payments (which will probably lead to further pharmacy closures =>less jobs) means wages will fall even further.
01-04-2009, 17:06   #15
liberal

i heard biomeds now out earn pharms, hardly seems fair

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion