Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-08-2008, 20:09   #1
ems_12

What happened John Hanrahan?

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this was the right forum to ask, but I recently read a book ('The Red book') about a farmer from Tipp, called John Hanrahan, who took a v. large pharma company to court due to emissions frm the factory and the damage to his farm. (merck, Sharpe and dohme)

Anyway, the book was about the court case, but I was wondering what had happened since - anybody know anything? Did the farm continue to have problems? Did the Hanrahans get any sicknesses since?
Advertisement
19-08-2008, 01:02   #2
Michael Collins

Hi there, been looking into this a bit myself...

Check out this link:

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...ll-376967.html
26-07-2012, 21:16   #3
whiteonblu

he is in court http://bobfiddaman.blogspot.ie/2011/...-hanrahan.html
26-07-2012, 21:56   #4
bob charles

an interesting man is Mr Hanahran, he has also ran into trouble with the Dept of Ag and on challenge won his case. Maybe a few locals can give a reference
26-07-2012, 22:19   #5
whiteonblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob charles View Post
an interesting man is Mr Hanahran, he has also ran into trouble with the Dept of Ag and on challenge won his case. Maybe a few locals can give a reference
i do not want to comment on the current case as it is before the court. I remember reading the red book but cannot recall much about it. were merck found to have caused him problems and if so how come other farmers in the area, if there were any, were not affected?
Advertisement
26-07-2012, 23:03   #6
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteonblu View Post
Quote:
i do not want to comment on the current case as it is before the court. I remember reading the red book but cannot recall much about it. were merck found to have caused him problems and if so how come other farmers in the area, if there were any, were not affected?
I think it was related to wind conditions and topography when merc were running their incinerator at the wrong temperature,it's years since I read about it though so I'm trusting my memory....
26-07-2012, 23:51   #7
brian_t

Quote:
That story seems to be from June 2008.

A more recent one is this "Farmer awarded €300,000 in damages"

Quote:
CO TIPPERARY farmer John Hanrahan has secured just over €300,000 damages at the High Court over the failure of the Department of Agriculture to return to him 223 of a total of 355 cattle seized from his farm following a dispute about their welfare.
Mr Hanrahan, who previously won a landmark case over damage to his animals from pollution from a neighbouring drug manufacturing factory, had sued the Minister for Agriculture and Food over the seizure and subsequent sale of the cattle.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...284260397.html
27-07-2012, 15:13   #8
freedominacup

Quote:
Again
27-07-2012, 15:37   #9
Tipp Man
Closed Account

Quote:
I don't know the man - but he seems to spend a lot of time in court
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-07-2012, 22:12   #10
charityboy

seems his problems lie within the farm gate,amazing how somebody can sue a company for so much money yet the animal welfare issues on the farm are non exsistent ,he should be let own a dog letalone hold a herd number
08-08-2012, 23:02   #11
whiteonblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by charityboy View Post
seems his problems lie within the farm gate,amazing how somebody can sue a company for so much money yet the animal welfare issues on the farm are non exsistent ,he should be let own a dog letalone hold a herd number
What evidence do you have his problems lie within the farm. I found this
which seems to disagree wth you and offers evidence. I am not for or aganst him but interested
09-08-2012, 09:38   #12
reilig
Closed Account

Mod Warning !!!

Threads like this need to be careful. If there is an ongoing court case, we should not mention anything on this thread that might have any influence. While it is ok to mention information that has been made public. Speculation, heresay or assumptions could bring boards.ie into disrepute and could land you the poster in a lot of trouble.

Reilig
09-08-2012, 10:27   #13
bob charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilig View Post
Mod Warning !!!

Threads like this need to be careful. If there is an ongoing court case, we should not mention anything on this thread that might have any influence. While it is ok to mention information that has been made public. Speculation, heresay or assumptions could bring boards.ie into disrepute and could land you the poster in a lot of trouble.

Reilig
but there isn't an ongoing court case relating to this matter
09-08-2012, 10:50   #14
reilig
Closed Account

Quote:
I received a PM stating that there is, or at least its pending
09-08-2012, 10:50   #15
brian_t

Quote:
One of the posters here gives the impression that there is.

This is quite a personal thread about a particular farmer who happens to be in the public eye through no fault of his own. (in my opinion)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion