Prison Officer - Page 237 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-04-2012, 00:29   #3541
senordingdong
Registered User
 
senordingdong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Homer
Posts: 9,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitter_lemon View Post
for these reasons this thread does not interest me much.
Don't write yourself off just yet.
When I started the job, little over a year ago, I would probably have just glanced over a post like that. But now a year on, alot of it makes sense and is still relevant so I'd say it's still worth everyones while to have these points passed on to the next generation.

And who knows, in another year, it might mean even more again.
senordingdong is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
28-04-2012, 20:01   #3542
480905
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by senordingdong View Post
Don't write yourself off just yet.
When I started the job, little over a year ago, I would probably have just glanced over a post like that. But now a year on, alot of it makes sense and is still relevant so I'd say it's still worth everyones while to have these points passed on to the next generation.

And who knows, in another year, it might mean even more again.

Hey Dingdong. Does the video ( page 159 ) make sense now? A year ago you wouldn't have believed bitter lemon and told him that it had to be different..... But it's not. And you've come to see the job for what it really is.
3 assaults on staff in Cloverhill in the recent past.... And I bet the first question that the Inspector will ask... What did the staff do to antagonise the poor prisoners?
The Job is gone to Sh1te lads. Simple as .
480905 is offline  
Thanks from:
29-04-2012, 20:51   #3543
senordingdong
Registered User
 
senordingdong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Homer
Posts: 9,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by 480905 View Post
But it's not. And you've come to see the job for what it really is.
Absolutely, well, maybe. Still alot more for me to see.
senordingdong is offline  
29-04-2012, 22:18   #3544
480905
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 372
Its good to see you're taking in whats happening and watching instead of thinking your way is the only way and thats how it is. Good stuff.... And to those who blame " jail pups" for knowing everything... Some of the best officers I've ever worked with are Jail pups. <SNIP> young lad being one of them. He had a hard act to follow cos of his dad's reputation. No better man beside you when it kicks off..... I've referred to this issue before. Plenty of other gob****es around.

Last edited by Delancey; 30-04-2012 at 22:56. Reason: Best not to name individuals ... thanks
480905 is offline  
Thanks from:
01-05-2012, 06:18   #3545
Yourwellcum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 480905 View Post
Its good to see you're taking in whats happening and watching instead of thinking your way is the only way and thats how it is. Good stuff.... And to those who blame " jail pups" for knowing everything... Some of the best officers I've ever worked with are Jail pups. <SNIP> young lad being one of them. He had a hard act to follow cos of his dad's reputation. No better man beside you when it kicks off..... I've referred to this issue before. Plenty of other gob****es around.
I mentioned jail pups. You didn't read the whole sentence obviously. I said either jail pups or just pups full stop. That covers everyone. So are you trying to say you have never met a know it all jail pup???

I know a couple and I'm barely in the job. So are they it should be pointed out. I also like you, know loads who are brilliant.

Last edited by Yourwellcum; 01-05-2012 at 16:40.
Yourwellcum is offline  
Advertisement
01-05-2012, 09:48   #3546
wexfjord
Registered User
 
wexfjord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South County Dublin
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourwellcum View Post
I know a couple and I'm barely in the job. So are they it should be pointed out. [b]I also like you[b].....
Ah that's beautiful!
wexfjord is offline  
01-05-2012, 16:41   #3547
Yourwellcum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by wexfjord View Post
Ah that's beautiful!
Nothing beautiful about bad punctuation
Yourwellcum is offline  
06-05-2012, 23:36   #3548
brigal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Tumbleweed
brigal is offline  
08-05-2012, 02:05   #3549
480905
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourwellcum View Post
Nothing beautiful about bad punctuation
True.. but who gives a f&(k.....
480905 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-05-2012, 00:37   #3550
Delancey
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,437
Quick question - does the Prison Service pay an additional allowance or premium payment to PO's who are fluent Irish speakers ?
Delancey is offline  
10-05-2012, 00:40   #3551
brigal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Quick question - does the Prison Service pay an additional allowance or premium payment to PO's who are fluent Irish speakers ?
If they do it would be fairly retarded! How many prisoners only communicate in Irish? I would hazard a guess of zero, wed be probably better off learning polish and getting an allowance for it
brigal is offline  
10-05-2012, 06:26   #3552
wexfjord
Registered User
 
wexfjord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South County Dublin
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Quick question - does the Prison Service pay an additional allowance or premium payment to PO's who are fluent Irish speakers ?
I think there's an allowance for Matties who learn basic English. There is no allowance for gaelgeoirs.
wexfjord is offline  
(3) thanks from:
10-05-2012, 07:25   #3553
480905
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Quick question - does the Prison Service pay an additional allowance or premium payment to PO's who are fluent Irish speakers ?
No, there is no allowance for speaking Irish.
480905 is offline  
10-05-2012, 12:39   #3554
Delancey
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 5,437
Reason I ask is that I've heard that in the past some prisoners who were members of subversive groups often spoke Irish both day-to-day and during visits - PO's who were fluent in Irish tended to supervise these prisoners and their visits.

Forgive my ignorance but what is a ' Mattie ' ?
Delancey is offline  
10-05-2012, 15:06   #3555
Rawhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pitcairn Island
Posts: 962
Mattie is the generic term for Laois people. They are given a pay number at birth instead of a PPS number because they all join the job.

I heard a story from the boys in the NIPS that all the stops were pulled out a few years ago to recruit Irish speaking officers so they could monitor the provos calls and visits. They eventually got a female graduate from Queens and stuck her in a room to listen to the boys "as gaeilge".

The first evening all the management wanted to know what they where talking about and she told them "I don't have a clue, that's not Irish they are speaking but some bastardised pigeon Irish they have made up themselves".
Rawhead is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet