Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

good/cheap heart rate monitor watch

Options
  • 29-07-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    just wondering if anyone can recommend a good watch that has a heart rate monitor on it.
    i dont want to spend more than 150euro, but the cheaper the better.
    thanks very much.
    ed

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

"Buy cheap. Buy twice"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Heart Rate monitoring is not that complex, no reason it has to be mega expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

If you want a reliable but cheap HRM, you can't go too far wrong with a Polar FS1. You should be able to pick one up for well under €50.

They are basic, but they are reliable. I have about 30 in work and have never had a problem with any of them.

I personally have a Polar CS300 which I find great for cycling / multisport use. It is a watch, HRM, speedo and cadence monitor all in one. It cost me about €150 on wiggle.co.uk - bargain in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

polar have sealed batteries in the chest strap when i rang to see about there lifetime replacement policy they told me they wouldnt guarantee that it would work afterwards and that it would cost me €50 + shipping there and back guess what bought a lidl one works perfectly wouldnt touch them again unless your serious training and buying a high end one.

(unless theyve changed the sealed chest strap design)

Polar haven't changed the sealed design - it is a pretty good one, as sweat and batteries don't mix so well.

I'm an exercise physiologist and use HRM's day in day out - always Polar in work (primarily because most of our ergometers are Polar compatible). We have 40+ Polar HRM's here (about 30 FS1's and some more expensive ones) and they are heavily used. In the last 4 years, I have only had to send an handful back to have their batteries changed and they were returned in perfect working order.

There have been a few discussions on the Lidl / Aldi HRM's on this forum recently and there is no consensus - opinions are mixed. Some people recommend them, others do not.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with a Polar HRM (other than needing the battery changed once in a blue moon) and although they are a little more expensive, in my opinion they are certainly worth it.

The Polar FS1 can be bought here for €36, here for €39 or there should be a few on ebay.ie

There are cheaper ones out there, but I think it is worth paying the extra couple of € for a reliable item. It is probably the cheapest you will get from the 'reputable' manufacturers - Polar, Suunto, CardioSport, Nike, Garmin etc. Timex may do a cheaper one.

• Advertisement

Garmin don't seem to need a sealed battery design and I've never had a problem. Think I had to replace the battery once since I got it, straightforward operation with a button battery.

Anyway, as bwardrop says, Polar are a very reputable brand (the most reputable, they invented the things) and they have entry level at under €50. As OP was willing to spend up to €150 I do not think he will have a problem getting a decent and reliable HRM below that.

I know someone whith this X-Train V3 from Wiggle (8/10 from Cycling Plus) and they seem happy with it.

If you start spending more money you get into areas like PC download where you can see a chart of your heart rate.

I have a Garmin Edge 305 and honestly the one function I value most is just simple instantaneous heart rate which I keep an eye on to pace myself up hills or when pushing it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/Cycle/7/Heart_Rate_Monitors/
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=253

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

polar have sealed batteries in the chest strap when i rang to see about there lifetime replacement policy they told me they wouldnt guarantee that it would work afterwards and that it would cost me €50 + shipping there and back guess what bought a lidl one works perfectly wouldnt touch them again unless your serious training and buying a high end one.

(unless theyve changed the sealed chest strap design)

About 3 or 4 years ago. They brought out a second version that isn't sealed. Handy for doing your own battery changes.

Also Polar's new propriatary design with chest straps, IMHO, will mean they'll no longer be the gold standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭eurotrotter

hey guys
    thanks for all the replies
    i forgot to mention that the wath needs to come with a handlebar attaching bracket and also give the speed at which the bike is travelling
    thanks
    ed

hey guys
    thanks for all the replies
    i forgot to mention that the wath needs to come with a handlebar attaching bracket and also give the speed at which the bike is travelling
    thanks
    ed

The Polar CS300 meets these criteria. From my previous posts you may think that I'm pushing Polar a bit much... However, I use heart rate monitors daily in my profession and have done for the last 10 years - Polar are simply the best - accurate & reliable at a reasonable price.

I think I mentioned before - I personally use a CS300 and think it is superb. There is also an optional cadence sensor should you wish to upgrade - very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

bwardrop, would the cs300 work for running as well?

It's designed with cyclists in mind (speed and cadence sensors) but will function as a regular "multi-sport" HRM too. The Polar foot pod is not compatible with the CS300, but if you use www.mapmyfitness.com (or similar / affiliate) you can get reasonably good info on your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

blorg wrote: »
    Heart Rate monitoring is not that complex, no reason it has to be mega expensive.

Done properly its not that simple!

tunney wrote: »
    Done properly its not that simple!
    I'd argue that at the level of sensing and displaying your heart rate it really is that simple. The high-end Polars will have a lot more in the way of features but the entry level Polar will display your current heart rate just as well. There are also entry level monitors from other brands that also work fine. Having said that there will of course be cheap HRMs at the bottom end that don't work so good.

blorg wrote: »
    I'd argue that at the level of sensing and displaying your heart rate it really is that simple. The high-end Polars will have a lot more in the way of features but the entry level Polar will display your current heart rate just as well. There are also entry level monitors from other brands that also work fine. Having said that there will of course be cheap HRMs at the bottom end that don't work so good.

+1. Well said! Things start to get pricey when you want the HRM to be more than just a HRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 robydrupo

hi guys,
    does somebody know where can I buy the Polar FS1 in Dublin? is there any sports shops equipped with heart rate monitors?

Thanks!
    Roberto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭boniver

Technology-wise there's no doubt the Polars are a great unit. We gave up selling them because customers became so frustrated at the delay in sending them back to the UK to have battery replacments done. One you get going with HRM's, being without it for 3 weeks to get a bttery done is frustrating. Cardiosport battery replacment is done in Dublin, 2/3 day turnaround and preservation of guarantee but I can't think of one that will multifunction as a bike computer. The Sigma BC1706 will do both for about E115.0o. Also Suunto's T-3 with a bike pod would be a great unit but possibly out of price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭magconn

anyone tried the Polar F4 (ladies) ?? 58euro ish on dolphinfitness.co.uk?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

I just tried my Polar CS 200 CAD this morning for the first time, gave me some funny reading on the heart rate at first, prob though cause i hadn't dampened the band, but every thing else seemed to be good and did what i want. Granted first time out but i was have enough!

Advertisement