ATC recruitment with IAA - Page 5 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-01-2009, 16:37   #61
ch252

Send a message via MSN to ch252
The way I see it you have 3 options and becoming an aeonautical radio officer isn't one so if you want to count that its 4, but thats not ATC.

You can go by self-sponsorship. Go to ASTAC in England get the training and come back here, do the test and get your license and wait for a vacancy to come up in a regional or something.

Get sponsored. If an airport wants atco's they may pay for your training. They'll send you somewhere like ASTAC in England and you come back, get your license and work for them. Same as previous only your being funded and you have a job to come back to.

Thirdly you can go via the IAA. This is the most mainstream and common but the others do pop up often enough, generally there is in and around 3 to 4 atco positions that become available on an average year.

ASTAC: http://www.astac.co.uk/
Advertisement
20-01-2009, 17:41   #62
Jim236
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darragh-k View Post
The way I see it you have 3 options and becoming an aeonautical radio officer isn't one
While it may not be a direct route to becoming a controller, having the experience of doing the apptitude test, going through the interview process, not to mention actually working in the IAA itself will give you a significant advantage over anyone else applying for the Student Controller Programme. Obviously you wouldn't become an aeronautical radio officer just to become an air traffic controller, but if you were to decide a few years into the job you wanted to switch to ATC...

Last edited by Jim236; 20-01-2009 at 17:43.
20-01-2009, 18:38   #63
ch252

Send a message via MSN to ch252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim236 View Post
While it may not be a direct route to becoming a controller, having the experience of doing the apptitude test, going through the interview process, not to mention actually working in the IAA itself will give you a significant advantage over anyone else applying for the Student Controller Programme. Obviously you wouldn't become an aeronautical radio officer just to become an air traffic controller, but if you were to decide a few years into the job you wanted to switch to ATC...
Exactly, I mean you have to do the aptitude test to get into ANY ATC job, even at the regionals, its not about who you work for, you need to pass it to get a license.
20-01-2009, 20:21   #64
tracker-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by darragh-k View Post
You don't expect him to give it away that easily do you

Nah to be honest this aptitude is little good to anybody looking to apply as a student air traffic controller,
True, didn't think of it that way! No harm in knowing though!
20-01-2009, 20:55   #65
turtleshead

Does anyone have any idea on how many positions are available? What is the 12 month training program like, is it predominantely on the job training or is it mainly class room based. Also what type of numbers will the cut after the aptitude test? If I remember correctly from the last ATC student recruitment drive it was 250 people were called for the first interview from approx 2000 applicants, after that 100 people got called back for the final interview. Cant remember how many positions they had though...
Advertisement
20-01-2009, 22:05   #66
aero2009

There is 12 positions for the Radio Officer job with over 2000 applications.. The last ATC competition had c.1800 applications for 24 positions. So if your figures are correct with 250 called for first interview I would predict half will be called for the Radio Officer positions c.150.
I would suspect that there will be a very small number called for first interview as the time period between the tests and the actual start date for interview is only 2 weeks (beginning on the 16th February.
Jesus is there anything easy!!!

Last edited by aero2009; 20-01-2009 at 22:12.
21-01-2009, 18:07   #67
Jim236
Banned

This may seem like a stupid question, but are you allowed use a paper and pen for rough work in the numerical apptitude?
21-01-2009, 21:28   #68
electron

no idea to be honest. i think they're meant to be done without, though...
have you ever done an iq test? did you feel like paper and pen would have helped you a lot?
21-01-2009, 21:40   #69
Jim236
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
no idea to be honest. i think they're meant to be done without, though...
have you ever done an iq test? did you feel like paper and pen would have helped you a lot?
Lol no, but have done a few practice questions and I don't know how anyone could do some of them in their head, then again those websites allowed you to use a calculator or a pen & paper, so maybe the IAA's questions will be more reasonable if neither are allowed. I hope...
Advertisement
22-01-2009, 12:47   #70
JonnyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron View Post
i think http://www.practicetests.co.uk/ as mentioned earlier is quite a good place to start
Hey,

Do you know what the story is with practicetests.co.uk? I have been answering the questions but the answers never come up when I click 'yes' at the end.

Frustrating!
22-01-2009, 12:58   #71
Jim236
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyK View Post
Hey,

Do you know what the story is with practicetests.co.uk? I have been answering the questions but the answers never come up when I click 'yes' at the end.

Frustrating!
Same thing happens to me, tried on 2 different browers, on 2 different computers, and couldn't get the results to load.
22-01-2009, 13:04   #72
JonnyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim236 View Post
Same thing happens to me, tried on 2 different browers, on 2 different computers, and couldn't get the results to load.
Cheers for that, I re-loaded Adobe flashplayer thinking that might help but no joy. Getting sick of practising aptitude tests at this point, don't my level will improve drastically between now and next week.

Hopefully they won't be too difficult and generally speaking you are allowed to use rough paper for maths aptitude tests - unless we're expected to be robots!
22-01-2009, 20:25   #73
electron

i don't get you.
it's primary school stuff after all, arithmetics only.
23-01-2009, 12:58   #74
Poloman

Are we allowed to bring a calculator for the numerical?? :-)
23-01-2009, 13:27   #75
JonnyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poloman View Post
Are we allowed to bring a calculator for the numerical?? :-)

That numerical aptitudes have loads of variations from simple adding, multiplying etc to sequences, problem solving, graphs, charts and accompanying questions.

Some people are more skilled and suited than others and we aren't sure which types of the above will feature.

Calculators are usually allowed but can't be certain.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion