Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-07-2008, 22:26   #16
Popanddrop
Banned

Upcomong Pieces:
Dogfish
I would like to ask does anyone want a particular piece done before I make out a new list, reply on this thread please or pm me.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-07-2008, 11:23   #17
jArgHA

Send a message via MSN to jArgHA Send a message via Yahoo to jArgHA Send a message via Skype™ to jArgHA
Here's a suggestion - How about an article on bait presentation? I know nothing about this and am starting bait fishing this week! Also, what to do with frozen bait etc..
Thanks from:
09-07-2008, 18:15   #18
growler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popanddrop View Post
Upcomong Pieces:
Dogfish.
Dogfish:

tactics: try for another other fish in the sea and you'll get one
Bait: anything

:-)

annoying feckers but better than a blank !
09-07-2008, 23:01   #19
Doc Farrell

brilliant thread.

tell me more about what you personally like to fish for and what you detest (for example, i hate to see anglers drop a fish on the ground and let it suffocate instead of just killing it quickly. do you know that cuttlefish can make a strange sound while dying slowly? its very creepafying)

also perhaps do 20 things about sea fishing that you should definitely know but are too stupid/embarressed to ask: for example what if you stick a bait bloodied hook through the bit of skin between your thumb and forefinger?

a great read corkonian!
Thanks from:
10-07-2008, 03:38   #20
Popanddrop
Banned

Dogfish

Dogfish
Description: In Ireland there is two main types of Dogfish, the lesser spotted dogfish commonly known as the `Dogfish` and the greater spotted dogfish commonly known as the `Bullhuss`. This piece is going to focus on the Dogfish.
Dogfish to most anglers are a pest, those who know they are going to catch them use as light tackle as possible to get the most out of the fight. Dogfish are considered valuable in fishing competitiions because there is normally plenty and where there is one there is always more. Dogfish come from a line of small sharks that inhabit Europe, none of these grow to any huge size. The average dogfish measures about two feet with larger ones measuring between three and four feet. Dogfish commonly inhabit harbours, beaches and rock marks. Their main diet includes fish, squid, crab worms, etc. Basicially they are a scavager and will clean up anything, this is why they do play a big part in our eco-system. Dogfish are a good eating fish but the trouble is skinning them.
Their skin is smooth running down there body but rough like sand paper when rubbed up the body.
There colour can range from sandy cream to black depending on the habitat.

Tactics: We anglers with experience have the memory of catching dogfish with the bad memory of the mess they leave behind. To battle this use a clip up rig. Basicially the hook is clipped up at the top of the rig during the cast and falls to the bottom when the lead hit’s the sea floor, when a fish is hooked the lead will up off the bottom and also the dogfish will be away from the main body of the trace so that it cant wrap around it. As always vary leads both plain and gripped depending on tidal flow. Dogfish also like attracters so experiment with different colour beads. For baits: fish baits, mackerel etc are brilliant as well as frozen sandeels, but they will take squid ,crab or worm baits. Snoods should be the standard 20LB and body of 40LB. In the diagram with this two hooks are shown, you can do this or only use one and lengthen the snood, the choice is yours.Use 3/0 hooks.(long shank or circle depending on bait)

Other Info: When handling dogfish grab both the head and tail, this prevents the Dogfish from wrapping on your skin causing irritation or ripping your skin.
Best time to fish for Dogfish is at night.
You don’t have to cast far at night for them.
Found a video on to skin a Dogfish.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dye0a...eature=related
Advertisement
10-07-2008, 03:40   #21
Popanddrop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jArgHA View Post
Here's a suggestion - How about an article on bait presentation? I know nothing about this and am starting bait fishing this week! Also, what to do with frozen bait etc..
yes no problem that will be my next piece
BAIT PRESENTATION 6 top baits, where to find and how to rig.
Thanks for the suggestion.
10-07-2008, 03:41   #22
Popanddrop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Dogfish:

tactics: try for another other fish in the sea and you'll get one
Bait: anything

:-)

annoying feckers but better than a blank !
Yes I completely understand you but I continued to write up to benefit the beginner anglers and to give a bit of info on the species.
10-07-2008, 03:43   #23
Popanddrop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Farrell View Post
brilliant thread.

tell me more about what you personally like to fish for and what you detest (for example, i hate to see anglers drop a fish on the ground and let it suffocate instead of just killing it quickly. do you know that cuttlefish can make a strange sound while dying slowly? its very creepafying)

also perhaps do 20 things about sea fishing that you should definitely know but are too stupid/embarressed to ask: for example what if you stick a bait bloodied hook through the bit of skin between your thumb and forefinger?

a great read corkonian!
Thanks.
I will definely write about myself soon.
and each week I will do a piece entitled 20 facts about fishing with new ones each week. and i take it that your example happened to you.
10-07-2008, 03:46   #24
Popanddrop
Banned

Upcoming

Upcoming
1.Bait : 6 top baits, picture to identify, where to find and how to rig.
2.Plaice.
3.A little about myself
4.20 facts about fishing you might not know.
Please keep the suggestions coming.
Advertisement
11-07-2008, 00:04   #25
Popanddrop
Banned

Bait

Bait

Peeler Crab: Can be bought from any good tackle shop or bait provider. Can be collected in traps such as tyres at load tide but get permission to collect them first from the owners of the tyres.
To keep fresh leave in bucket in cool place with some seaweed, when you get to your mark give them a drink of sea water to liven them up. To put on a hook break of the claws and legs and crack the shell and the rest of its body, remove the shell and lungs at the side(they should be grey) then cut the crab in half mount on a long shank hook or circle hook and bind on with bait elastic.

Lugworm: can be purchases sometimes fresh but mostly frozen(black lug). Can be dug in silty or muddy areas such as esturaries, etc. They leave a tell tale sign of a worm in a coil made of sand on the surface. Keep in newspaper to harden for a few hours or you can keep them in a fridge for a few days. Mount on a long shank hook and start with the tail, no elastic is required only if the were frozen.

Common Ragworm: Same as lugworm.

Mackerel: Available in tackle shops or fish markets. Or you can catch yourself. Mount on ling shank hook or circle hook and use elastic if the mackerel was frozen.

Squid: Normally bought frozen but can be purchased fresh from markets. Rig on a long shank hook in half or whole depending on the size of the hook. Use some elastic if the bait was frozen.

Sandeels: Mostly bought frozen, fresh if you can get them yourself. Rig frozen on long shank in half or whole and bind on with elastic. When alive rig on float rig with the hook point going through their nose. To obtain fresh sandeels look up on sandeel traps, to find how to make one.
11-07-2008, 00:29   #26
coolwings

Mod: Models
Excellent posts popanddrop. Very useful thread esp for noobs
Thanks from:
11-07-2008, 02:45   #27
stevecrow74

Use 40LB trace body min, and 25LB snoods.
thats a tad over the top for pollock

you only need maximum of 15lbs main line and snood.. anything more than that and your taking the fun out of fishing

as for some of the snood lengths.. they seem to be more for boat fishing..

like "4foot of 30lbs mono" for conger.. how are you supposed to cast that ?? 2foot is more than enough for a snood length for most sea fish from the shore..

"Snoods should be the standard 20LB and body of 40LB." for dogfish..
are you mad.. that means you can only cast with a 4oz lead..
you should know the rule of thumb with terminal lines (i.e. shock leader and rig body) 10lbs for every 1oz of lead

"The line rules are the same as above but be sure the braking strain of the line is mimimum 16LB and 20-25LB if fishing over rough/mixed ground. Always add a shockleader when using a beach caster because this takes the shock off the main line and adds and a rubbing leader so you wont lose gear over rocks etc. Shockleaders should be about two rods lenghts in measurement and have a breaking strain of 50-60LB, clear colour is the best to go for to avoid detection by the fish."

i see so many flaw's here...
i use 15lbs for all types of shore fishing... and even then i feel its too much in some instances.. the only time i use heavier line (20-25lbs) is when targeting tope of 20 - 40lbs from the shore... as for shockleader... as i mentioned before "10lbs for every 1oz of lead" colour doesnt matter... unless fish really like the red shockleader i use.. the shock leadter takes the strain of the line as you are casting, hence why you see mackerel fishers lose feathers when casting a 3oz lead and only using 10lbs mainline, the main line cant handle the strain of the lead's g-force while being swung around.. and there is only one thing that can happen. hence why it is actually dangerous to stand near such people during mackerel season.
its the snood line that you have to be careful with.. but even then it doesnt matter that much either.. a snood can be from 8-15lbs and 20-30lbs if dealing with conger ray or huss(but not necessary)

Hooks: A variety of hooks from size 2-5/0 will be what you need for shore fishing, I will explain what hooks best suit each fish when I go down the list of species.

what are you after with 5/0??? tope??

size 4 - 1/0 is ample for all shore species.. 2/0 if your going for large ray10lbs+ or conger of 15lbs+

i've caught a 12lbs conger on a size 6.. but i bet you never thought of doing that

as for this bit

how do you expect to cast with a snood length that is longer than the rod???

i could continue but i'm getting bored
11-07-2008, 08:57   #28
dbrock

my my steve,,,

but alot of what steve is saying is right bring the fun back into fishing,,, last year i hit a 50+lb tope from the shore with 18lb main line with a 5/0 hook on a 60lb pully pennel,,,
if i had of been using 30lb or 40lb main line it would have took all the fun away

any newbies into the sport should check out www.sea-angling-ireland.org
its a great site with lots of info and some great people to,
11-07-2008, 18:16   #29
Popanddrop
Banned

hey i think in light of steves comment, I will give the readers a choice to wether I continue this thread writing about what I have caught fish on and the info I have gathered from the sea angler, etc. Or if ye want maybe steve could take over the thread and write something everyday. Its up to yourself and I hope people will comment back on their answer.
regards popanddrop
11-07-2008, 20:42   #30
jArgHA

Send a message via MSN to jArgHA Send a message via Yahoo to jArgHA Send a message via Skype™ to jArgHA
Well I for one have read many useful tips in this thread and it would be a shame if it ended. I think in fairness to stevecrow, his points regarding the various lines to use may well be valid from an experienced fisherman's point of view, but perhaps for a beginner who is not used to bringing in a fish on a lighter line, the heavier lines may offer a bigger margin of error.

If the OP however believes that some/all of stevecrow's comments should be reflected in the guide articles, then perhaps they can be edited by the OP to reflect those points.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion