Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-01-2011, 12:21   #751
Shryke
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teferi View Post
Can anyone recommend some good high fantasy or sword and sorcery? Alternatively, can anyone recommend something near the Bartimaeus Trilogy. Always liked Strouds light tone.
Malazan Book of the Fallen. Starts with Gardens of the Moon. It's a while since I read them. They're a little difficult to get into and the first one is a bit of a mess. You'll have no clue what is going on for 90% of it, but they get very good.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-01-2011, 14:51   #752
ixoy

Send a message via MSN to ixoy
Reading "The Painted Man" by Peter V. Brett. Enjoying it so far - it's still small scale but I reckon it has potential to explode into a bigger story.
13-01-2011, 14:54   #753
fionny

Currently Reading through the Farseer Trilogy:

Assassins Aprentice,
Royal Assassin,
Assassins Quest

by Robin Hobb

Really enjoying them, had read the Liveship Traders before which technically come after these books but im finding this series better.

She also has a few other series all set in the same world, working my way there
13-01-2011, 20:23   #754
O-Deazy

Attempted to start Malazan Book of the Fallen but couldn't get into the first book at all! Decided to start Simon Scarrow's 'Eagle Series'. Page 9, so far so good
13-01-2011, 21:18   #755
Zapp Brannigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Deazy View Post
Attempted to start Malazan Book of the Fallen but couldn't get into the first book at all! Decided to start Simon Scarrow's 'Eagle Series'. Page 9, so far so good
Go back to it, my favourite Fantasy series. The world is so massive, it just takes a while before you 'get' it.

On Knife of Dreams now. Have to finish it before Monday. And then I get to read Stonewielder.
Advertisement
13-01-2011, 22:14   #756
Shryke
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixoy View Post
Reading "The Painted Man" by Peter V. Brett. Enjoying it so far - it's still small scale but I reckon it has potential to explode into a bigger story.
I really liked The Painted Man. It was simple but fresh. The second one, The Desert Spear, was alright but didn't improve in quality greatly from the first. I'll probably read the next but the second book has left me very tepid.

Decided not to jump into Banks after all yet and I'm already over half way through Mr. Nice. It's a good read and a nice break.
14-01-2011, 00:03   #757
sentient_6

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Deazy View Post
Man thats hilarious i literally did the complete opposed a few months back. Started book 1 of Eagle Series but gave up on it, & picked up Gardens of the Moon which i had given up on a few years previously, i'm now half way through the 3rd book Memories of Ice & thoroughly enjoying it! The second book Deadhouse Gates was a hard slog but im glad i got through it.
14-01-2011, 09:08   #758
O-Deazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient_6 View Post
Man thats hilarious i literally did the complete opposed a few months back. Started book 1 of Eagle Series but gave up on it, & picked up Gardens of the Moon which i had given up on a few years previously, i'm now half way through the 3rd book Memories of Ice & thoroughly enjoying it! The second book Deadhouse Gates was a hard slog but im glad i got through it.
haha.. In the end up I went back to Malazan and thought I'd stick it out! The second book is hard to get through? So far I'm finding this first one all over the place.. Theres only good reviews about the series so I'll stick with it!
14-01-2011, 11:43   #759
AnCapaillMor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentient_6 View Post
I've tried 3 times now to get into Gardens of the moon and whatever it is about the books i just can't get into them, which is killing me because i keep reading how good they are and everytime i read a post like this i die a little inside. Must give them a go again after i finish the wheel of time books.
Advertisement
14-01-2011, 12:07   #760
mcgovern

I'm 200 odd pages into the second one at the moment, and only now started to have a faint idea who everyone is again. It's like there is a great story there, but its just below the surface, ready to jump out when it all clicks into place, so I'm sticking with it!
14-01-2011, 12:30   #761
O-Deazy

Does the first book start making sense at all? I can follow the storyline but it's very jumpy and I'm still not fully sure whats going on.. I'm determined to keep reading it all the same, if I ever get these exams finished of course!
14-01-2011, 12:45   #762
Shryke
Closed Account

It pulls together a little bit toward the end so that you just about have an idea of the picture being painted. The second one is easier to get into although it's a book of two halves. One terrible story line and one fantastic story line but the good outweighs the bad. If your looking for some small explanation you could try starting a "Gardens of the Moon support topic" and a few of ye might pull through together!
14-01-2011, 14:10   #763
O-Deazy

"Gardens of Moon support topic", not a bad idea but I'll keep going and see how I get on! If it gets any more muddled up I might just start it Seems like 1 or 2 people have similar problems!
14-01-2011, 14:14   #764
Zapp Brannigan

When you get on to the second book; all I have to say is 'Chain of Dogs'
14-01-2011, 14:24   #765
O-Deazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
When you get on to the second book; all I have to say is 'Chain of Dogs'
Ok.. right now that means absolutely nothing to me! I'll take your word for it!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion