Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2008, 13:29   #16
Dexterm99

I don't live to far from the Spawell roundabout and use it occasionally. IMHO it is one of the most dangerous roundabouts in south Dublin after the Walkinstown roundabout of course.

The darting out in front of oncoming drivers is common but beware the drivers in the left lane who also want to turn right and do a 360 on the roundabout...
Advertisement
12-06-2008, 13:36   #17
markpb

Take their reg and description of the car and call Traffic Watch on 1890 205 805 and let the Gardai deal with stupid idiots like her.
12-06-2008, 13:50   #18
dogmatix

I'm not so sure the Walkinstown roundabout is so dangerous. Sure it's big with many exits but i've never seen an accident there and it is actually easier to judge when to nip into the traffic flow then any other big multi roundabout I know.

I'm speaking as a driver of course - I bet it is a nightmare for cyclists. The leopardstown roundabout is another big multi exit roundabout and that was scary enough on a bicycle. I don't think I would chance my arm at walkinstown on a bike.

Are there many recorded accidents there?
12-06-2008, 14:08   #19
Dexterm99

According to this article, these is an average of 1 per day as stated by the guards.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archi...055222652.html
12-06-2008, 14:14   #20
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Yeah, I've had two serious "almost" incidents on that Spawell roundabout. First was when I'd only had my first motorbike a few weeks. Exact same thing you describe - going round the roundabout, guy just drives straight out without looking. Of course I'm an inexperienced biker on a wet roundabout, I jam on and fall on my ass. Hurt a bit. The guy didn't even notice me.

Second time was almost the same thing except as I passed the first exit, a girl came out of that exit in the left-hand lane, indicating to go right (i.e. towards the M50). Of course, when I cut straight across her to take my exit (the third one), there was beeping and incredulous looks from her (in my rear-view mirror).
Advertisement
12-06-2008, 14:19   #21
Colm R

Question, whats the rule of the roundabout for a cyclist.

There is a roundabout in Templeogue, near St. Mary's Rugby ground where the cycle lane goes on the outside of the roundabout. I always signal my intent at each exit as I go around it. However, should I assume that a cyclist should stay on the left most side of the roundabout even if turning right.

In fariness, most of the time, I dismount and walk through roundabout junctions. Too scary for me. I don't pass many roundabout anyway.
12-06-2008, 14:29   #22
Dexterm99

That's probably one of the worst drivers right there. The ones who think they are right. You've then got to suffer their ignorance as well.

Anyway, look for broken glass on a roundabout and you'll know how safe it is :-)
There always seems to be some at Spawell and Walkinstown.
12-06-2008, 14:44   #23
Jemmy

That crazy, hope your alrite! Same happened to me before last one night heading into town with a friend, some silly cow didnt stop and i was already on the roundabout turning and she missed my car by inches.
Some people have no clue. Driving tests should HAVE to include a major roundabout these days. One near every town now sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
She had L plates up and there was someone in the car with her.
Dont judge all Learners on that fool tho! Irish ppl tend to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
If I had been able to get her reg plate I would've and rang the gardai straight away to report her.
Yea thats all well and good reporting here but then you have to go to court and all that and its really not worth the hassling bcoz nothing ever happens in the end.
12-06-2008, 14:44   #24
Dexterm99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm R View Post
In fariness, most of the time, I dismount and walk through roundabout junctions. Too scary for me. I don't pass many roundabout anyway.
I think that’s the sensible thing to do. Roundabouts are not designed for cyclists if a roundabouts aim is to keep traffic flowing. A bicycle travels a lot slower through a roundabout compared to anyone else. You simply don't have enough time to get out of the way of traffic that have the right of way.

Last edited by Dexterm99; 12-06-2008 at 14:47.
Advertisement
12-06-2008, 14:55   #25
MontgomeryClift

THE RULES FOR ROUNDABOUTS NEED TO BE CHANGED, so that drivers have to make a full stop before the enter the roundabout. Ignoramuses are just taking a quick glance to their right and flying onto the roundabout, thinking "I can keep booting it here. If anything enters from the left and hits me, I'm in the right." WRONG.

So you can look to your right and see no cars waiting to enter there, so you proceed. Suddenly, one suddenly flies at you so fast from the exit on your right, it SEEMS like you cut in front of him.

Then there are the middle aged men who seem to have earned their licenses before the roundabout became common. They look to their right, their left, their mirror and all around, and don't know when to proceed. So they just stand there. OR WORSE they proceed no matter what's coming from the right, as if the roundabout is not there. "Roundabou'? Whas dah?"

Last edited by MontgomeryClift; 12-06-2008 at 15:00.
12-06-2008, 15:44   #26
meanmachine3
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontgomeryClift View Post
THE RULES FOR ROUNDABOUTS NEED TO BE CHANGED, so that drivers have to make a full stop before the enter the roundabout. Ignoramuses are just taking a quick glance to their right and flying onto the roundabout, thinking "I can keep booting it here. If anything enters from the left and hits me, I'm in the right." WRONG.

So you can look to your right and see no cars waiting to enter there, so you proceed. Suddenly, one suddenly flies at you so fast from the exit on your right, it SEEMS like you cut in front of him.

Then there are the middle aged men who seem to have earned their licenses before the roundabout became common. They look to their right, their left, their mirror and all around, and don't know when to proceed. So they just stand there. OR WORSE they proceed no matter what's coming from the right, as if the roundabout is not there. "Roundabou'? Whas dah?"
as much as i hate to say it at least most of these drivers do look to their right.
daily i come across drivers who are looking to their left when entering a roundabout why they do it is beyond me unless they've got their left and right mixed up.
13-06-2008, 00:21   #27
mackerski

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontgomeryClift View Post
THE RULES FOR ROUNDABOUTS NEED TO BE CHANGED, so that drivers have to make a full stop before the enter the roundabout.
Neatly negating the whole point of having a roundabout. Great idea.
13-06-2008, 01:01   #28
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerski View Post
+1
13-06-2008, 07:14   #29
corktina

as does having traffic lights on roundabouts...
13-06-2008, 10:25   #30
Colm R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackerski View Post
I think the idea of the roundabout is to allow drivers onto a juntion where there is a break in the traffic coming from the right, and the driver does not have to worry about traffic from the left.

However, the rules do not need to change. You should not have to stop, just slow down and be prepared to Stop if necessary. Drivers are the problem here, not the rules.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion