Salthill nightclubs of old - Page 4 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

26-05-2008, 14:29   #46
JoeA3

Who else remembers the "Laser lights" in CJ's?! And Match Of the Day being shown on the projector screen inside? Ahhh, the memories
Advertisement
04-02-2009, 17:58   #47
gmkgreaney

hi guys
this is a brilliant thread and brings back some memories although i was just at the bushing age when most of theses clubs wer around , the oasis and the warwick were the only places i was in, anybody know whatever happened to nightlife in salthill?? everybody says it was the place to be
04-02-2009, 18:50   #48
Sponge Bob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkgreaney View Post
anybody know whatever happened to nightlife in salthill?? everybody says it was the place to be
In the 1980s and 1990s taxi plates were not given out ( maybe one small batch ) meaning Galway was short of cabs per capita and when digital closed they cost £50k at least maybe up to £80k (over €100k)

Salthill was pain in the hole to get to and from unless you walked there , then they moved a load of cops in there in 1994 who used to be based in Oughterard so you dare not drink and drive either.

That finished Salthill off .
04-02-2009, 18:55   #49
galwayrush

Rumour has it that Rumours have it..........
when we got older, it was the Oasis, often 7 nights a week.
04-02-2009, 18:59   #50
gmkgreaney

serious i though coppers wer there alot longer then 94, some stories ya'd hear about the place though, im sure the locals wer delighted
Advertisement
04-02-2009, 19:19   #51
happyoutscan

Ahh the Oasis, what bloody great memories I have of that (except for that bouncer taking my 'happy' off me).
04-02-2009, 19:34   #52
Head The Wall

Great times all right in Salthill, you only went out in town if you were a farmer, hairdresser, oldish or married and looking for the ride.

Warwick is still going, been to a few Psytrance nights there in the last year or two

There was also the traffic light disco that used to be on in O' Learys, forget what the club was called.

The bouncers in Vagabonds - you didn't **** with them, all mental bikers (suicide squad, I think they were called)

Oasis and setanta were also masquerading as the Temple for dance gigs.

The stairs down to the jacks in Trends, death trap!

Head
04-02-2009, 19:40   #53
gmkgreaney

ya my sister was always in vagabonds from the age of 15 lol, i pass by it often when im hittin for killorans bar and wonder how the **** it was so popular or how u cud fit alot of people in there at 1 time
04-02-2009, 20:04   #54
am i bovvered

The Sex Kitchen was the best club ever in Ireland....
also remember a club called " feet first "
Advertisement
04-02-2009, 20:18   #55
fish fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by am i bovvered View Post
The Sex Kitchen was the best club ever in Ireland....
also remember a club called " feet first "
Dont forget Jooce on a Saturday night
04-02-2009, 21:16   #56
pg633

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stky10 View Post
What was the name of that sergeant that seemed to be on a personal mission from god to close down every nightclub in Salthill?. Was it Sugrue?. I remember raising a toast to him and Judge Garavan (in absentia) any time I'd get sloshed out there.
That was him.

News from 1995
Quote:
Gardai in Galway say that they will be seeking the closure of the Castle night club in Salthill after its owners were fined IR3k for permitting the sale of drugs on the premises. The owner, Henry Greally, claimed that he had done all that was possible to ensure that his patrons did not have drugs in their possession.
05-02-2009, 13:01   #57
Smiles08

Hi - first time posting on the Galway forum
This is a great thread. Just wondering if anyone remembers Gabby who was a bouncer in the Warwick circa 1990/- he used to wear a hat with two feathers in it and the rumour was he killed a man in Spain and served prison time. NOBODY ever argued with him!!
05-02-2009, 13:53   #58
Xenophon

Gabby Joyce was a bit of a 'character', renowned for losing it during brawls at the door. I remember being in the non-smoking carriage of the Dublin train once, and Gabby sat down opposite and proceeded to light up. Someone complained to the conductor, and he refused to stop smoking when asked. When the train stopped at Athlone, 2 coppers came on and bundled him off, and the whole carriage erupted with applause! Priceless.

Last edited by Xenophon; 05-02-2009 at 13:54. Reason: typo
05-02-2009, 14:20   #59
serfboard

Glad to see Gabby get a mention alright. He worked in various different pubs and clubs in Salthill - usually until he got into trouble for being a bit too "emphatic" in his bouncing!

Anyone know where he is now?
05-02-2009, 19:10   #60
padi89
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Bob View Post
In the 1980s and 1990s taxi plates were not given out ( maybe one small batch ) meaning Galway was short of cabs per capita and when digital closed they cost £50k at least maybe up to £80k (over €100k)

Salthill was pain in the hole to get to and from unless you walked there , then they moved a load of cops in there in 1994 who used to be based in Oughterard so you dare not drink and drive either.

That finished Salthill off .
I think that had very little to do with it, the nightlife in Salthill just never moved with the times. Bigger and better(debatable) clubs & bars that were more professionally ran opened up in town and thus people followed, if i remember correctly CP's was pretty much the beginning of the end for Salthills nightlife.
Thread Closed